Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch slip  (Read 33288 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Clutch slip
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2009, 08:35:28 am »
did you notice his emissions light was on and that's what mine does LOL

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2009, 09:25:26 am »
Matt, i thought your emission light went off since you put the stage 2 back on?

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2009, 12:45:22 pm »
Light gone off after stage 2 was put on

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2009, 12:48:01 pm »
"it must be because I dont have any wind shield wiper fluid"

Good theory..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2009, 07:56:46 pm »
Well guys ... sorry about the poor quality but this is what is happening :-

Been in close consultation with Superchips, they sent me out a custom map that resolved my "second gear" issue and reduced 30Nm of torque in 5th and 6th gears .  Acceleration in second was brutal, but unfortunately the top end torque felt to have been considerably reduced. I was greatful that they had been able to restore some usuable torque to 2nd gear but was now at the detriment of 5th and 6th.   The clutch slip seemed to have gone away ... but then this morning at 0700 after a night shift, clutch slip reared it's ugly head again.  So .. got back on the telephone to Superchips regarding some advice.  My ED30 is going in for an alternator replacement tomorrow (another matter altogether !!!) and I have told the dealer that the clutch is slipping.  Only problem is that it doesn't occur when running a stock map - so they'll never be able to detect it DOH !!  Hence the above video, sorry about the clarity filmed after an Eureka moment on the way back from Tesco's lol ! Superchips told me to contact them tomorrow after having had advice from the dealer.  They stated that they have remapped quite a few ED30's and never experienced this problem.  They also said that their demonstrator ED30 ran much more aggressive settings that those that they would supply to their customers, they had the car for quite some time and clocked up a lot of mileage in it - they stated the clutch never once evven tried to slip  :sad:

Just don't know what to do am really getting annoyed ... I mean the map is either all at the top or all at the bottom and now this clutch issue, just wished I'd never tasted the forbidden fruit of a remap and remained in ignorance of the potential of remapping a BYD TFSI.

I wonder what the dealer will say, if they agree to change, which I strongly doubt they will not, would they fit an uprate paddle clutch if I paid difference ??? How harsh would a paddle cluth be - will I need legs like He-Man ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:00:08 pm by garethmk1 »

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2009, 08:04:40 pm »
Could it be your Girlfriend rides the clutch and has worn it out without your knowledge Gareth?? :grin:.
Are you gonna stay stock and loose the Map?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2009, 08:10:21 pm »
thats clutch slip fella but mine is worse than that  :laugh: i will let u know what the clutch is like next week as its in next thursday and the clutch pedal should feel the same as its a vw pressure plate but with a vwr paddle friction plate so thats the harsh bit. will let u know asap

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »
Not good, i wonder if your clutch is faulty, i have seen where some have had oil leaks, and some that have actually exploded (not running maps), its these crap DMF flywheels

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2009, 08:12:03 pm »
gareth I cant tell anything from that vid tbh sorry !
VWR do a clutch thats easy on the leg  :happy2:
or go back to stock I guess......
VW may fit a diff clutch but I doubt most dealers would. and you will def have to sign a disclaimer!
as for power delivery, if the new map feels better low down, its def going to make the upper ranges 'feel' less urgent tbh
I take it no more CELs?

If dealer wont fit a new st unit then
swap to stock and save up for a clutch at VWR
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »
Light gone off after stage 2 was put on

My emission light was manually cleared (through vag-com) when Revo Stage 2+ was put on.  It came back shortly after  :sad:  Then I took the Ed30 to the dealer to get the coolant hose replaced and an oil/spark plug service done and it again disappeared - I spoke to the dealer before the service to request that the emissions light not be interfered with and after when he confirmed that they had not put any software on or interefered in any way.  So I'm not sure why/how the light disappeared - but its back on now.  I have noticed that the rev needle 'searches' during idle, rising and falling.  It will be taken to JKM next week to get sorted.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2009, 09:23:56 pm »
Its all fixed now  :jumpmove: VWR paddle clutch oh and its harsh  :laugh: but just needs bedding in  :evilgrin:.
all i will say is VWR are one of the best companies i have used and Mark farmer is car mad and a real petrol head and i will be back soon  :laugh: oh and i loved the red gti demo car  :drool:

a few pics from today

this car sounds  :evilgrin:

what a great day  :happy2: and we nipped to the ace cafe for some dinner  :laugh:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2009, 09:31:49 pm »
Its almost worth clutch failure just to have a look round there  :laugh:

Glad to hear your car is back to full health.  :drinking:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2009, 10:11:03 pm »
When you say - oh it's harsh .. can you elaborate a little more ... am seriously considering one at the moment.

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2009, 10:23:10 pm »
Did you get your map sorted out gareth??

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2009, 10:31:42 pm »
Kind of ... erm .. got my low end power back at sake of top end torque, and then asked for them to balance a compromise between both ... but no - so back to 310bhp and 320 ft/lb torque map - so after 4k I'm away albeit with still a slipping clutch hope to pay superchips a visit some time early on in March for a "proper" session of rectifying my map ...  :sad: