Make a donation

Author Topic: Ranking Every Volkswagen Golf GTI Generation From Worst To Best  (Read 2275 times)

Offline RssGti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Ranking Every Volkswagen Golf GTI Generation From Worst To Best
« on: December 14, 2023, 12:07:41 pm »
Hi there
I'm Richard S and am new here.
Am on my 2nd mk5 GTi.

There's a good chance you've already come across this on-line news article about the Golf GTi.
Incase you haven't then have a read, the Mk5 did really well!

https://carbuzz.com/features/ranking-every-volkswagen-golf-gti-generation-from-worst-to-best

Best regards
Richard S.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Ranking Every Volkswagen Golf GTI Generation From Worst To Best
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 04:26:58 pm »
Interesting!

No way I would put the MK1 second  :grin:  I had 2 of things, god awful rust buckets.

MK8 would trounce ALL of them on a track and challenging B roads!

I guess it depends on peoples judgment criteria but the MK1 and MK2 always get voted highly because of nostalgia, but are objectively crap compared to the newer GTIs.

Poor old MK4 always gets kicked when it's down and usually comes last, or close to  :grin:  It was waaaaaay better made than the MKV, 6 and 7 though.....but handled like shat.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Ranking Every Volkswagen Golf GTI Generation From Worst To Best
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 08:57:01 am »
Interesting!

No way I would put the MK1 second  :grin:  I had 2 of things, god awful rust buckets.

MK8 would trounce ALL of them on a track and challenging B roads!

I guess it depends on peoples judgment criteria but the MK1 and MK2 always get voted highly because of nostalgia, but are objectively crap compared to the newer GTIs.

Poor old MK4 always gets kicked when it's down and usually comes last, or close to  :grin:  It was waaaaaay better made than the MKV, 6 and 7 though.....but handled like shat.

Idk about that Pudding, the MK4 interior is definitely of a higher quality compared to some other Gti's but stuff like window regulators and door locks & handles were constantly breaking in mine.  Those recaros were lovely though. MK3 got to be the worst? I would put MK7 at the top due to the styling and the interior being (objectively!) nicer than the MK8. Even if the MK8 is quicker your average owner isn't a good enough driver to make that count imo. The MK7 is plenty fast enough for me anyway.