Make a donation

Author Topic: Noise Diagnosis (with video)  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Noise Diagnosis (with video)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 09:59:24 pm »
Cheers for all your responses guys. The car is booked in for a cambelt change next Friday.

Incidentally, are there any other items than need attention around the 4 year mark? How long does the diverter valve last?

Spend an extra £80 and get the water pump replaced at the same time as the belt. These are known to fail and it's the same labour / job effectively as it is to replace the belt.
Mine is 4 years old in May and i've booked mine in for 3 weeks time for this work. Afterphoning around and a little haggling my dealer agreed to do it all for £380 incl vat. The pricres started at £545 LOL!

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:13 am »
Sounds like the Alternator (aux) belt tensioner. They quieten down when they warm up as the grease (they are a sealed for life bearing) warms and gets a bit thinner so it lubricates a bit better.

The tensioner is directly at 10 o'clock in the pic you have posted. I have seen the cambelt tensioner make a similar noise but my guess is the aux belt

So is the fix to replace the tensioner and belt?

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »
wen i had this prob the dealer said it was the alternator belt and tensioner, changed that, noise still there. after they did the cambelt and tensioner it was gone. i had a quote for the water pump at £45 with no labour as they already had the belt off
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Saint Steve

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:24:47 pm »
Sounds like the Alternator (aux) belt tensioner. They quieten down when they warm up as the grease (they are a sealed for life bearing) warms and gets a bit thinner so it lubricates a bit better.

The tensioner is directly at 10 o'clock in the pic you have posted. I have seen the cambelt tensioner make a similar noise but my guess is the aux belt

Have i missed the boat or something??  The Fix has already been stated several times to you Andrew.

Tell the dealer to replace Cambelt and cambelt tensioner to cure this squeeling noise   :star:

If you follow PDT's advise, you will have an expensive repair bill for no reason.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:26:26 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:20:16 pm »
Have i missed the boat or something??  The Fix has already been stated several times to you Andrew.

Tell the dealer to replace Cambelt and cambelt tensioner to cure this squeeling noise   :star:

If you follow PDT's advise, you will have an expensive repair bill for no reason.

Er, thanks Steve, but if you follow the thread of the conversation two possible solutions have been posted. Some people have found the problem to be with the cambelt, others have found it to be the aux belt. As the noise seems to be coming directly from the aux belt it's not unreasonable to consider it might be that. Anyway, the cars having a cambelt replacement anyway so hopefully it will be that, and if not then I have some other starting points.

But thanks for your invaluable help, you're a star :wink:

Saint Steve

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:48:18 pm »
Aux belt if loose would sound worse if you rev'd the engine, same as any loose Aux old term Fan belt term.

Look foward to an update Andrew

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 09:11:42 am »
Well well, the VW Technician is positive it is the alternator belt tensioner, as PDT suggested. They're going to do the cam belt first though, then see.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:10 am »

:P :P :P  :jumpmove:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 11:01:18 am »
 :popcornsoda:

Saint Steve

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 04:47:31 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 05:03:26 pm »
Car isn't going to be back until Monday now. The water pump was leaking (apparently), so they need to order that in.

Got a Beetle for the weekend :ashamed:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 09:02:53 pm »
Got the car back this morning, it was the cam belt after all :grin:

So new water pump, cam belt and cam belt tensioner have now been fitted and the car feels great.

Saint Steve

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats:

:P

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 09:46:22 pm »
i had the same noise as that, turned out to be faulty water pump, had cambelt + tensioner and aux belt changed aswell. mine was all done under warranty tho.