Make a donation

Author Topic: Japaneese imports  (Read 493 times)

Offline Notch000

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Japaneese imports
« on: January 22, 2024, 11:24:12 am »
Hi,
does anyone know anything about these 2.0 TSI imports, they look on paper to have the full 200bhp  in an estate variant ? or am i missing something >?
im looking at upgrading my 2005 GTI but prices have exploded in Ireland so looking further afield . not this particular example but plenty of low mileage cars available, (+fees shipping, taxs etc)

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF_VARIANT/700957257430231223002/

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Japaneese imports
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 03:48:22 pm »
Found a forum discussing it here: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=1791638

But I'm not too familiar with this particular version. It's a MK6, so it'll have the same engine as the MK6 GTI, a CCZA engine, known for timing chain tensioner issues. According to Wikipedia that means it's got 210hp (207bhp).

I assume that it's got the same running gear as a MK6 GTI if it has the same engine, same brakes, diff etc. But from the pictures it appears the suspension is a bit higher, looking more like an Octavia vRS would stock. Interior looks lovely.

One concern I might have since you live in Ireland, you'll have to declare it's a Jap import to your insurance company, or risk not being insured. And Irish insurers either will tell you flat out no or charge you a fair bit more. Best bet is to go with KennCo, Axa or Aviva if I remember correctly. If you already have an active policy, ring your insurer and ask would they be willing to insure a Jap MK6 GTI, maybe get a reg off donedeal.

There's always alternatives to consider with the VAG group too. In order of cheapest to most expensive, Octavia vRS estate (petrol), Passat estate 2.0TSI, Leon FR estate (petrol), Audi A4 estate 2.0TSI. But they're all rare enough here in that exact configuration.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline Notch000

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Japaneese imports
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 09:11:44 pm »
Ya that's for that, been looking at Octavia estate but super rare in petrol here, also might go rogue like 3 series etc.
Not too worried about insurance I know the implications on imports etc
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 09:05:14 am by Notch000 »