Make a donation

Author Topic: STOP - LOW OIL PRESSURE  (Read 1367 times)

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
STOP - LOW OIL PRESSURE
« on: June 03, 2024, 07:39:54 am »
I go to my car this morning and it won't unlock.  Weird.  Get in eventually and the dash screen isnt lighting up and it's bonging at me, and I see I've managed to leave my side lights on overnight ffs.  Anyway, I live on a hill so off I go to bump it down the hill.  I bump it and immediately get STOP ENGINE LOW OIL PRESSURE come up.  So I did as it says and pull over.

These two have got to be linked right?  Could it just be the car having a sh*t fit? Oil level is topped right up. Unless the oil pump has failed at the exact same time

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: STOP - LOW OIL PRESSURE
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 11:35:47 am »
Panic over.  AA came out and started it from a battery pack; all good.  Was just because of the bump start from a totally flat battery.

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 10:05:22 pm »
Jeez you nearly triggered my PTSD with that post title  :scared:

Yeah probably car having a fit from getting bump started.

Besides, low oil pressure usually appears on a hot engine, unless something catastrophic like pump chain failure has happened.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 08:01:22 am »
I have a panick attack when |I hear a bong and usually it's just for low fuel haha.
From past experience flat batteries can cause many many strange faults.

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 09:19:35 am »
I have a panick attack when |I hear a bong and usually it's just for low fuel haha.

It's the 4C ping when it's cold outside that used to give me a heart attack not long after I had actually had engine failure  :grin:

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 06:59:09 am »

It's the 4C ping when it's cold outside that used to give me a heart attack not long after I had actually had engine failure  :grin:

Oh no not a happy ending to that story.
But yes I forgot about the 4C warning. I haven't had my mk 5  long enough to hear any bongs, but on my old Skoda it was the same noise for every warning so sometimes I could get about 4 right after each other and I'd be thinking what now  :grin:  Luckily the worst I ever get is low water or alternator which clears after a few seconds.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 04:48:18 pm »
Ha, BMW and Mercs are bong central compared to the Golf!  And 2024 on cars bong at you for doing 31 in a 30, and bong at you for veering out of your lane, and bong at you for eating a ham sandwich at lunchtime instead of cheese and pickle.....

There is no cranking oil pressure when bump starting, hence the low pressure bong.  It will have only been a couple of seconds of no pressure, so don't worry about it.  Keep your lights off and the battery topped up  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 03:08:11 pm »
I really don't like new cars very much at all, too many bongs, telling you when to change gear, no I tell you when we change gear, pulling you back or vibrating when you cross a white line, I know I'm crossing the line because I steered it there. Plus many other new "advancements".

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:45:59 pm »
Yup, backwards 'innovations' and massive bloatware have ruined modern cars. I liked the MK5 GTI's era as they were new enough to benefit from tech that actually improves your driving life, but not so new as to annoy you with unnecessary bongs and needing a computer to fix even the most minor of issues, such as the MK7 on needing VCDS to change the rear brake pads  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D