Make a donation

Author Topic: Intercooler recommendations for a K04 conversion  (Read 89 times)

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
Intercooler recommendations for a K04 conversion
« on: June 30, 2024, 11:58:57 pm »
Ever since I first mapped the car I felt like it always pulled better after it just got up to operating temperature compared to how it pulled after driving around for a bit. Well today I decided to log it again but this time included intake temps as well. surprise-surprise, it's not looking good. I guess that's what happens when you did a K04 swap, kept the stock intercooler and haven't yet replaced your leaking AC radiator that's bent up like hell.

So anyway, looking for suggestions on what IC to go with. I've been looking at the Ta-Technix cooler since I got both the downpipe and air intake from them. I've got no issues with those so far but I know (and knew from the start) that they are the same things you can find on Aliexpress but priced a bit higher. I was gonna order both the downpipe and intake from Ali, because I saw the exact same items there, but Ta-T did a sale and it came out cheaper than Ali.

https://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/gx/product_info.php?info=p37413_ta-technix-intercooler-kit-suitable-for-audi-a3-s3--8p----tt--8j----seat-leon--1p---skoda-octavia--1z---superb--3t----golf-v-vi--1k----jetta-iii-iv--1km-16-16h----eos--1f----passat--3c-3cc----scirocco-iii--13-.html&no_boost=1

Both of these logs come from the same pull. I went on the highway, made the first pull on the on ramp and the second after driving to a U-turn area that's 5km from the on/off ramp.

Ambient temp was 23 degrees here

Ambient temp was 20 degrees here

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:03:27 am by ZoliWorks »
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
Re: Intercooler recommendations for a K04 conversion
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:12:22 am »
What have you got on at the moment.

The original GTI/Ed30 one is not great to be honest.  I changed mine to the later revised (non alloy ends) Golf 6R/TSI/S3 8P intercooler and noticed a vast improvement on a Stage 1 GTI.  It is deeper, has a more efficient core, and fits perfectly while also deleting the old bayonet hose connectors that leak boost.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:14:03 am »

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:37:48 am »
Mine is stock, like base model stock. Plastic end caps, quick connect hoses. and the AC radiator's fins are all bent up so basically no air is passing through it. I'm surprised my car isn't overheating...

I'm replacing the AC rad cause it's been leaking since I got the car so while at it I might as well do the intercooler.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp