Make a donation

Author Topic: new mk5 owner  (Read 960 times)

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
new mk5 owner
« on: June 09, 2024, 04:03:38 pm »
Hi everybody I've just bought 2006 GTI with 77k miles I'm going to get the timing belt waterpump and DSG service before I start using the car, and I've been looking for as much info as possible and this seems to be the best place for it. It was imported 2 years ago and the speedo still reads kph, I know there is thread where someone has already asked this but thought there might be some new info on it, the best or easiest way to get it reading mph.
Also I would like some advice there is an oil leak at the back of the head it looks quite high sort of around the camshaft area, so was wondering would this be to do with the PCV and when or if to change the PCV and is this same as crankcase valve and does this need changing if they are not the same things.
I'm also concerned about the cam follower but I'm thinking I don't need to worry about this for a while am I correct.
I'm not really used to getting repairs done as my previous car is a 2003 Octavia TDI with 230k and never needed anything really except servicing.
Thanks very much for any help anyone can give it's really appreciated

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: GTI now gone

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: new mk5 owner
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 10:06:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I had already read that post before I'd posted mine. I was hoping that there might have been an easier way haha. I've just ordered a set of clocks off eBay so I'll see how it goes.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 08:41:07 am »
Do the cam follower, peace of mind.

Online mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 08:59:15 am »
Check the cam follower ASAP if not done recently, the DV for tears and vacuum pump for oil leaks (change the seals)

Other service items like the fuel filter and cabin filter get over looked.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 08:17:59 am »
Ah ok, I saw somewhere that the cam follower was ok until 100k, but obviously not.
Do you all use genuine parts or is there some genuine stuff that is best steering clear of.
I hadn't seen anything about the DV and vac pump being issues so thanks for that, I'll have a look on Google and YouTube later to see if I can find any guides on how to check them.
I want to try and eliminate any future problems before they appear and cost more money. Plus it's going to be easier to do work to it now before I start using it as my daily driver.
I'm not picking the car up until Saturday and I've got mixed emotions haha on the one hand I'm excited for my new car and, and on the other I'm actually dreading it because of the amount of work and money I'm going to be putting into it. I'll be doing the work myself and I know some people enjoy tinkering with their cars but I hate it haha.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 12:27:45 pm »
I use oe cam follower, quite a few use pattern ones.
Coverdale Parts sell both & are usually a good priceffor parts.. Some can still get parts from TPS but they might not sell to you if you're not trade.

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2024, 08:04:21 pm »
I am able to use TPS so was planning on using TPS for everything unless advised against it.

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 07:25:52 am »
I thought I'd post a quick update.
So I picked the car up Saturday and noticed it didn't get up to temperature (should have really noticed it when I went for a test drive), but thought not too much of a big job and not too expensive, I just hope it hasn't been like that for a really long time, but not much I can about it now except change the thermostat and hope it hasn't caused any issues.
I started doing the timing belt last night and as I got into it I noticed some wiring well hidden, and upon investigation found it's had the xenon headlights fog lights and indicators messed about with so they flash when switched on. So I'm really not happy. Hopefully they haven't made too much of a mess of the wiring and it's another job I could do without doing. I wanted a totally standard car because some peoples work is absolutely atrocious. I hope Japanese people have more pride in their work than what I see done here sometimes. Everything else is standard which was what made me buy it. Anyway I'll just have to add it to the list of jobs to be done.

Online mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 08:08:46 am »
Change the inline thermostat to resolve the temp issue, as this is a common failure.  Just changed mine last week (3rd one in 7 years) as they seem to only last a couple if years for me and my short journeys.

It is located near the alternator and above the AC pump
Mike

South Coast

Online mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 08:10:39 am »
This thing:

Mike

South Coast

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 09:51:10 pm »
I thought I'd post a quick update.
So I picked the car up Saturday and noticed it didn't get up to temperature (should have really noticed it when I went for a test drive), but thought not too much of a big job and not too expensive, I just hope it hasn't been like that for a really long time, but not much I can about it now except change the thermostat and hope it hasn't caused any issues.
I started doing the timing belt last night and as I got into it I noticed some wiring well hidden, and upon investigation found it's had the xenon headlights fog lights and indicators messed about with so they flash when switched on. So I'm really not happy. Hopefully they haven't made too much of a mess of the wiring and it's another job I could do without doing. I wanted a totally standard car because some peoples work is absolutely atrocious. I hope Japanese people have more pride in their work than what I see done here sometimes. Everything else is standard which was what made me buy it. Anyway I'll just have to add it to the list of jobs to be done.
Thanks. Is there 2 thermostats? I phoned T P S this morning and asked for a thermostat and I thought it would have a housing so I thought I'd order that to just in case and she said to me it was an unusual housing, and it was about £47 so I'm imagining it's quite big.
Do you change yours yourself, and do you remove anything apart from the alternator.
Thanks again it makes it so much easier speaking to people who have more knowledge me.

Offline lazy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 10:04:59 pm »
I don't know how I ended up quoting myself on that last post  :laugh:
It was supposed to quote you mjmallia.
I'm using my phone and it's not great.

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 10:07:40 pm »
I think it depends on what year/engine the car is? the service manual said there are 2 thermostats but mine only has one. For me it's under the intake, behind the alternator and a pain in the ass to change due to the placement.

Ah ok, I saw somewhere that the cam follower was ok until 100k, but obviously not.
Do you all use genuine parts or is there some genuine stuff that is best steering clear of.
I hadn't seen anything about the DV and vac pump being issues so thanks for that, I'll have a look on Google and YouTube later to see if I can find any guides on how to check them.
I want to try and eliminate any future problems before they appear and cost more money. Plus it's going to be easier to do work to it now before I start using it as my daily driver.
I'm not picking the car up until Saturday and I've got mixed emotions haha on the one hand I'm excited for my new car and, and on the other I'm actually dreading it because of the amount of work and money I'm going to be putting into it. I'll be doing the work myself and I know some people enjoy tinkering with their cars but I hate it haha.

I've replaced the rev B DV on my friends car with a rev D. I've chose the D over the G for his as it's what I'm running, without issues. Apparently they last longer than the silicone/rubber valves, especially bolted directly to a K03. his car was throwing boost codes (control area not reached) and when I pulled it off, it was split in 3 places.

As far as the vacuum pump goes, check if it's leaking oil. If it is, replace the seal between the pump and the VVT housing and the seal between the pump body and the pump cap, that's about it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 10:13:36 pm by ZoliWorks »
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Online mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2024, 08:47:14 am »
The GTI has 2 or 3 thermostats depending on year.

The main one on the block shown above they all have and then an inline one for the turbo near the TB and alternator.....DSG's can also have an additional inline one on top of the box under the temp sensor.

The one from the turbo is often overlooked and causes a lot of over cooling when it fails in an open state.

Turbo inline:

DSG inline location:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:54:36 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast