Make a donation

Author Topic: Dsg selector issue  (Read 314 times)

Offline yusufq32

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Dsg selector issue
« on: June 21, 2024, 01:24:07 pm »
I’ve got a mk5 gti dsg and my PRND is flashing. Got told by the mechanic to change the selector. My part number is 1K2713041B. Pretty much impossible to find now. TPS can get it for £1,100😂. I’m trying to reduce costs but there’s one in Slovakia for 525. Just wondering if I could fit another dsg selector, exact same car, engine, dsg everything the same. But different part number on the selector. There’s loads of breaking mk5 gti dsg selectors I can get but different part number. Would this work on my car?

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Dsg selector issue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 05:00:42 pm »
If you have PRNDS flashing it could be something else. Has the car been scanned with a fault code reader like VCDS?

Offline yusufq32

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 08:47:11 am »
It has. But with my mechanic, didn’t tell my anything about the codes it gave. Just said the selector has to be changed and there isn’t anything responding from the selector.

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 09:59:14 am »
I've just finished dealing with a similar issue with my gearbox intermittently disengaging and the PRND lights flashing.

After several visits to mechanics and electricians I was told it's either the selector unit or the mechatronics.

In my case I took the mechatronics out and had it refurbished and my problem is fixed. That's not to say you have the same issue, but from what I was told the problem can be from both endss of the circuit.

Anyway regarding the selector unit, I could only find a new one from Germany for 400€ I think. Might be worth looking abroad if your set on that.

Another option I found was that apparently some people have fitted Mk6 units to their mkv, I only found one fortun thread about it in the usual, but maybe that's an option, If I remember correctly they had to change the cables with the mkv ones, but it looked relatively straight forwards.

Of course I have no first hand experience so that info might be off base. But might be worth checking into.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 08:25:37 pm »
I've just finished dealing with a similar issue with my gearbox intermittently disengaging and the PRND lights flashing.

After several visits to mechanics and electricians I was told it's either the selector unit or the mechatronics.

In my case I took the mechatronics out and had it refurbished and my problem is fixed. That's not to say you have the same issue, but from what I was told the problem can be from both endss of the circuit.

Anyway regarding the selector unit, I could only find a new one from Germany for 400€ I think. Might be worth looking abroad if your set on that.

Another option I found was that apparently some people have fitted Mk6 units to their mkv, I only found one fortun thread about it in the usual, but maybe that's an option, If I remember correctly they had to change the cables with the mkv ones, but it looked relatively straight forwards.

Of course I have no first hand experience so that info might be off base. But might be worth checking into.

How much did you pay to get the mechatronics fixed?
I've got a similar thing on my gti, but I think the clutchpacks 'might' need replacing too.

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 12:03:44 am »
How much did you pay to get the mechatronics fixed?
I've got a similar thing on my gti, but I think the clutchpacks 'might' need replacing too.

I'm based in Poland so pricing there won't be the same, that said I paid around £500 for the restoration, that involved replacement of some electrical board, and some soldering of connectors, also they replaced a couple of the valves.

Not cheap, but cheaper than a new unit and it has 12month warranty

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 02:01:47 pm »
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/mk6-7sp-dsg-shifter-into-mk5-fingers-crossed-94113.html

Some infor about retro fitting different selectors.

It's not a gti they're talking about, so I don't know if it will work the same. But it looks like there is some backward compatibility there.

Also I think some guy mentioned having fitted an audi unit. Not sure if he was talking about the whole mechanism or just the cosmetic bit. But might be worth digging into.