Make a donation

Author Topic: Underseal recommendations  (Read 776 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Underseal recommendations
« on: July 11, 2024, 12:28:21 pm »
Any recommendations on a underseal..Been looking at the lanogaurd products but heard the bilt hamber dynax is good also

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
Re: Underseal recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 01:51:37 pm »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 02:13:45 am »
Bilt hamber gets my vote, great stuff

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 11:43:39 pm »
I would probably go with U-Pol Raptor personally.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mk1_dave

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 04:23:54 pm »
I have used Upol Raptor, Upol Gravitex and 3M rubberised underseal in the past. Upol Raptor is very good and incredibly tough, can also be over coated with a rubberised underseal if you want extra protection.

I used Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 as a cavity wax, very impressed.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 04:25:34 pm by mk1_dave »

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 05:07:03 pm »
I have used Upol Raptor, Upol Gravitex and 3M rubberised underseal in the past. Upol Raptor is very good and incredibly tough, can also be over coated with a rubberised underseal if you want extra protection.

I'm trying to type this without smirking but I am actually being serious. What cavities where you putting it in. At some point I'm going to be taking the wing liners out and removing the sound deadening if it's still there and was going to check underneath and see if it needs undersealing, apparently it's been done when it was imported, but probably could use some more. I've a few adverts lately for lanoguard and it looks good, but they're not going to make it look bad on their own advert I don't suppose.

Offline mk1_dave

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 09:44:26 pm »

I'm trying to type this without smirking but I am actually being serious. What cavities where you putting it in. At some point I'm going to be taking the wing liners out and removing the sound deadening if it's still there and was going to check underneath and see if it needs undersealing, apparently it's been done when it was imported, but probably could use some more. I've a few adverts lately for lanoguard and it looks good, but they're not going to make it look bad on their own advert I don't suppose.

All the cavities :laugh:

You can access the full length of the inner/outer sills by removing each of the bungs from the underside.

If you remove rear arch liners you will see a rectangle shaped bung and a large circular bung if you remove those two you can insert the cavity wax using one of the long nozzles and this will coat a large area of the quarter panels. The front of the sills has a little circle bung that you can remove to cover the front end of the sills.

As far as cavity waxes go I have used a few different types of the dinitrol ones and all worked really well. Recently I used Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 on my GTI and I would say it will more than likely perform better than the dinitrol products I have used previously. When I was cutting out the rust I found some of the previous dinitrol wax but was only applied the year before. The coverage was OK and was still sticky/moist. Whereas the Dynax S50 tried to a harder wax (similar to a candle) and took more effort to remove. I would definitely recommend the Dynax as it was easy to use and covered must more area than others I have used. Checkout their youtube video on it and it will most likely convince you to buy it  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 02:04:53 am »
Haha good old Phil McCavity  :grin:

Any of that stuff is great.  For the erm, 'cavities' I filled mine with Wurth wax, which as mentioned, comes with a nice long shaft for filling cavities  :grin:

All the chassis leg box sections, all the factory mounting jig bungs etc etc, get fill all those dark holes with your long shaft  :happy2:

The main issue with old MK5s is the rot hiding behind the plastic sill covers, and the factory e-coat breaks down over the years which looks OK visually, especially behind the perma-damp arch liners, but you may find heap big rust spots when it's sanded back.  My 2007 ED30 was pretty much a restoration project when I saw all that, which I couldn't be bothered with, so moved it on  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D