Make a donation

Author Topic: Genuine cam follower unavailable  (Read 3094 times)

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Genuine cam follower unavailable
« on: July 17, 2024, 08:30:35 pm »
I've had a cam follower on order from TPS for a month. I chased it up yesterday and was told they don't know when they're going to be back in stock, they're waiting to hear from the factory. So I checked Awesome GTI and AKS and they were out of stock also. I'm unsure whether to get an aftermarket one or just wait, but it didn't sound like it was going to be anytime soon. I'm also concerned is there going to be any problems with quality with the new batch, are they maybe changing manufacturers.

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
Re: Genuine cam follower unavailable
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 07:24:01 am »
I had one on back order from Awesome GTI. It arrived a couple of weeks ago. Worth back ordering if you can wait a little, as they seem to be able to fill the backorders as stock comes in.

I decided not to go aftermarket with an important component like this.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 07:45:06 am »
You can also use the genuine Hitachi / Huco part as they built the pump

https://aftermarket.hitachiastemo.com/emea/en/news/HPP_EN_EMEA.pdf

Second page, far right
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline onewinger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 10:28:38 am »
I've had a cam follower on order from TPS for a month. I chased it up yesterday and was told they don't know when they're going to be back in stock, they're waiting to hear from the factory. So I checked Awesome GTI and AKS and they were out of stock also. I'm unsure whether to get an aftermarket one or just wait, but it didn't sound like it was going to be anytime soon. I'm also concerned is there going to be any problems with quality with the new batch, are they maybe changing manufacturers.

I also have one on order with the local VW dealer since March. Reached to them earlier this week for them to tell me they had no ETA for the part after the original ETA was recalled by HQ   :rolleye:

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 06:33:45 pm »
You can also use the genuine Hitachi / Huco part as they built the pump

https://aftermarket.hitachiastemo.com/emea/en/news/HPP_EN_EMEA.pdf

Second page, far right
That might be the best way to go maybe they have stock.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2024, 02:10:04 am »
INA made the DLC cam followers for VW, which are plentiful in the aftermarket for about 20 quid.  Just buy a sht load of them for stock  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline hcmzah

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2024, 05:28:10 pm »
i've bought a febi bilstein one as i've seen a few youtubers use this. any thoughts about febi?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2024, 08:00:01 pm »
Just get one made by INA. Even if you buy one from a VAG dealer...INA might even be on the spec sticker (this was the case for some time. However, I just got a new CF from my local dealer yesterday (Oregon, US), and INA was not on the spec sticker. They might have a new supplier now. Obviously...most parts from a VAG dealer are supplied by other sources. Just need to know which currently supplies, or has supplied them the part you seek. Then perhaps look for it elsewhere. Here, we have a few places, online, selling our parts with a lifetime warranty (ECS Tuning...FCP Euro, etc.). So you buy one and done. But the price diff between genuine (made by INA) and one by INA is this:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 08:08:41 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2024, 11:56:34 pm »
i've bought a febi bilstein one as i've seen a few youtubers use this. any thoughts about febi?

Febi is not an OE supplier and I would avoid them personally as the quality is sub par.  Get the INA one. It's genuine.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 07:01:41 am »
What a saga this cam follower has been for me. I found an INA one on eBay £20. It came in a padded envelope with a crumpled up and torn Schaeffler leaflet and no box. The CF had no markings on to indicate it was INA but I didn't know if they did anyway. I got in touch with the supplier they confirmed it was INA but I wasn't fully happy. So I then thought I won't bother with online unless I'm sure they're reputable, I then spoke to our parts supplier who couldn't get any even Febi was out of stock. Eventually he managed to get me one direct from Febi for £40. I then found another online supplier with INA and they sold stud conversion kits for the bolts on the hpfp. Which you could make yourself for a fraction of the price if you've got a vice, hacksaw, a tiny bit of skill and knowledge, but I'm lazy so I ordered both. The follower came in a little tub soaking in oil, so I didn't open it until I was doing the job. Upon opening I saw some markings inside the CF which looked like a QR code took a picture and carried on. The next day I looked at the picture which turned out to be a Febi logo. I got onto the supplier and he apologised said there was a mix up and would send me a replacement INA one but he has fitted loads of Febi and they're fine.
Also to add to my problems the cam had some light scoring and the oil when I removed the pump smelled a bit petroly and the oil that was inside the breather did also. I then went on a smelling mission, the inside of the pump didn't smell and the oil on the dipstick smelled a bit petroly but I wouldn't say it was more than it should smell but I might just be trying to convince myself all is well and I don't need a hpfp. Definitely need to monitor this. So all in all it's been a right pita.

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 07:12:23 am »
Also I'd like to thank everyone on here who told me me to do it because I was going to put it off until 100k miles, mainly because I'm lazy but also thought it was people worrying too much online and it getting blown out of proportion.
Anyway glad I've done it now.
Thanks again.

Offline dennis10

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2024, 11:42:59 am »
Also I'd like to thank everyone on here who told me me to do it because I was going to put it off until 100k miles, mainly because I'm lazy but also thought it was people worrying too much online and it getting blown out of proportion.
Thanks again.

So did you go with the Febi item in the end?

I fitted a Febi cam follower a little while ago, everything quiet and working as it should - I've not opened it back up again to check though.  I've never had a problem with a Febi part myself, good quality usually.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2024, 12:17:28 pm »
I just put an INA one for £20 as I could not get one from TPS or the Hitachi version. Looked like good quality the INA
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2024, 06:59:52 am »
Thanks again.

So did you go with the Febi item in the end?

I fitted a Febi cam follower a little while ago, everything quiet and working as it should - I've not opened it back up again to check though.  I've never had a problem with a Febi part myself, good quality usually.

Ye I'd already put the Febi one in and put it all back together in the night. Then the next day I zoomed in on the photo and realised I'd been sent a Febi one instead of INA. To be fair it looked better quality than the other one I'd received which was supposed to be INA.
I've also used Febi parts on vans in the past and never had issues they do always seem like good quality parts.

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2024, 07:03:22 am »
I just put an INA one for £20 as I could not get one from TPS or the Hitachi version. Looked like good quality the INA
Did your INA cam follower have any markings on to say who the manufacturer was or was it just plain.
What company did you order yours from.