All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Genuine cam follower unavailable

<< < (2/6) > >>

pudding:
INA made the DLC cam followers for VW, which are plentiful in the aftermarket for about 20 quid.  Just buy a sht load of them for stock  :smiley:

hcmzah:
i've bought a febi bilstein one as i've seen a few youtubers use this. any thoughts about febi?

ROH ECHT:
Just get one made by INA. Even if you buy one from a VAG dealer...INA might even be on the spec sticker (this was the case for some time. However, I just got a new CF from my local dealer yesterday (Oregon, US), and INA was not on the spec sticker. They might have a new supplier now. Obviously...most parts from a VAG dealer are supplied by other sources. Just need to know which currently supplies, or has supplied them the part you seek. Then perhaps look for it elsewhere. Here, we have a few places, online, selling our parts with a lifetime warranty (ECS Tuning...FCP Euro, etc.). So you buy one and done. But the price diff between genuine (made by INA) and one by INA is this:

pudding:

--- Quote from: hcmzah on July 22, 2024, 05:28:10 pm ---i've bought a febi bilstein one as i've seen a few youtubers use this. any thoughts about febi?

--- End quote ---

Febi is not an OE supplier and I would avoid them personally as the quality is sub par.  Get the INA one. It's genuine.

lazy:
What a saga this cam follower has been for me. I found an INA one on eBay £20. It came in a padded envelope with a crumpled up and torn Schaeffler leaflet and no box. The CF had no markings on to indicate it was INA but I didn't know if they did anyway. I got in touch with the supplier they confirmed it was INA but I wasn't fully happy. So I then thought I won't bother with online unless I'm sure they're reputable, I then spoke to our parts supplier who couldn't get any even Febi was out of stock. Eventually he managed to get me one direct from Febi for £40. I then found another online supplier with INA and they sold stud conversion kits for the bolts on the hpfp. Which you could make yourself for a fraction of the price if you've got a vice, hacksaw, a tiny bit of skill and knowledge, but I'm lazy so I ordered both. The follower came in a little tub soaking in oil, so I didn't open it until I was doing the job. Upon opening I saw some markings inside the CF which looked like a QR code took a picture and carried on. The next day I looked at the picture which turned out to be a Febi logo. I got onto the supplier and he apologised said there was a mix up and would send me a replacement INA one but he has fitted loads of Febi and they're fine.
Also to add to my problems the cam had some light scoring and the oil when I removed the pump smelled a bit petroly and the oil that was inside the breather did also. I then went on a smelling mission, the inside of the pump didn't smell and the oil on the dipstick smelled a bit petroly but I wouldn't say it was more than it should smell but I might just be trying to convince myself all is well and I don't need a hpfp. Definitely need to monitor this. So all in all it's been a right pita.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version