Make a donation

Author Topic: Genuine cam follower unavailable  (Read 3534 times)

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
Re: Genuine cam follower unavailable
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2024, 09:21:55 am »
I did not see any markings on the inside of the INA one, but my genuine one does not appear to have any markings on it that I can see either (I have two old genuine ones from TPS).

Local indi for the INA, this is the only pic I have

« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 09:33:23 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2024, 06:09:42 pm »
Ok thanks for the info. The INA one I received had no markings but it also had no box, so even though the supplier confirmed it was INA I was dubious about using it, that's how come I ended up with the other ones.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2024, 05:45:14 pm »
The INA ones I used didn't have any markings from memory, but as stated previously, they are who make them for VW.

Your intake cam has had it.  The irregular scuffing on the cam follower is a big clue to that, along with the rough finish on the lobe itself. Normal follower wear is a small and uniform round patch in the middle that gradually spreads out over time.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2024, 09:01:35 am »
As Pudding says.

Here are my old genuine followers since getting the car in 2017, to show normal wear.

Left: 2017 to 2021
Right 2021 to 2024

« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 08:18:15 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2024, 01:28:15 pm »
That looks like normal follower wear  :happy2:

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2024, 08:43:12 am »
I'm thinking that my follower must have been replaced already, because that follower surely didn't cause the wear to the cam. I'll probably do about 6000 miles in a year so I'll check it next year and see how bad it is.  I'm really disappointed about the worn cam, I  didn't expect any wear at 75,000 miles. I just hope I don't need to replace the cam anytime soon.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2024, 10:21:16 am »
It looks like a follower was worn through, and the pump piston was then hitting the cam and the remains of the follower scratching the cam also.  The three grooves align with the piston cap worn flat to me.........I could be wrong

Stage 4

End cap of the piston.....this is a new one

Your cam

A new follower was slapped in and the car sold on most probably.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 10:24:38 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2024, 07:00:39 am »
I've been wanting to do mine again, must be around 50k miles on the current one.

Is this the recommended INA cam follower:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285986386821

They have another listed, assume only difference is one is packed in oil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285966925396

Just came by this, Awesome GTi seem to have stock:

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/volkswagen/eos/genuine-vag-2-0tfsi-ea113-fuel-pump-cam-follower/

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2024, 09:01:18 am »
It looks like a follower was worn through, and the pump piston was then hitting the cam and the remains of the follower scratching the cam also.  The three grooves align with the piston cap worn flat to me.........I could be wrong

Stage 4

End cap of the piston.....this is a new one

Your cam

A new follower was slapped in and the car sold on most probably.
That sounds like the most probable explanation.
I had a look at the end of the pump expecting to see wear, but it must be quite hard as it actually looked like new.

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2024, 09:11:08 am »
I've been wanting to do mine again, must be around 50k miles on the current one.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/volkswagen/eos/genuine-vag-2-0tfsi-ea113-fuel-pump-cam-follower/
Ye that's the correct one and that is one of the companies I bought off but I used their actual site not eBay. They did send me a Febi one though even though it was supposed to be INA.
The genuine one off Awesome GTI seems a good deal. Originally I ordered one off TPS and it was about £49.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2024, 10:17:24 am »
I'm thinking that my follower must have been replaced already, because that follower surely didn't cause the wear to the cam. I'll probably do about 6000 miles in a year so I'll check it next year and see how bad it is.  I'm really disappointed about the worn cam, I  didn't expect any wear at 75,000 miles. I just hope I don't need to replace the cam anytime soon.

That wear pattern on your follower is because the cam lobe is worn and not rotating the follower.  It's basically just beating on it.  The round centre wear mark that gradually gets bigger indicates a healthy follower spin, and therefore cam lobe.  A worn down cam lobe also reduces HPFP pump lift, which if it gets bad enough will cause fuel rail pressure fault codes.

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2024, 06:41:48 pm »

Ye that's the correct one and that is one of the companies I bought off but I used their actual site not eBay. They did send me a Febi one though even though it was supposed to be INA.
The genuine one off Awesome GTI seems a good deal. Originally I ordered one off TPS and it was about £49.

Appreciate that, thanks. May go for the Awesome GTI one in that case.

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2024, 11:30:07 am »

That wear pattern on your follower is because the cam lobe is worn and not rotating the follower.  It's basically just beating on it.  The round centre wear mark that gradually gets bigger indicates a healthy follower spin, and therefore cam lobe.  A worn down cam lobe also reduces HPFP pump lift, which if it gets bad enough will cause fuel rail pressure fault codes.
I'm going to check it next year, hopefully it won't have caused too much damage by then.bI know it's not a hard job but I don't want to be taking the hpfp off every five minutes. I also need to keep an eye on the oil, I'm not sure if the hpfp has an internal leak. The oil in the hole where the pump goes smelled a bit petroly but the oil on the dipstick smelled normal. Actually as I just typed that I've just thought if that's got a small leak it could be diluting the oil on the cam which would give me my wear problems.