Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake Vacuum Seal BWA  (Read 1795 times)

Offline huxly

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Brake Vacuum Seal BWA
« on: August 17, 2024, 02:15:49 pm »
Hi

My this is my first post here so hello to all! - I recently bought a 2007 Mk5 as a project and I'm just working through some repairs and upgrades. I have a small oil leak from the brake vacuum pump which looks like a very easy fix. However on all the guides I've checked the coolant pipe is above the pump whereas mine is in front and looks like it needs to be removed (draining the coolant first I assume) as its blocking access to one of the bolts.
Does anyone know if this the normal pip position on the BWA or has mine been modded somehow?

thanks

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Brake Vacuum Seal BWA
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 08:27:05 pm »
BWA here. This is how the pipe sits normally.

Mine is also leaking but it's so little it's not even worth looking into it. I've replaced the seal the goes into the VVT housing but there's another rubber seal right under the flat metal cover of the vacuum pump. that's the one that usually starts leaking.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline huxly

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 09:33:56 am »
Hi, Thanks for your reply and for sending the photos.  The leak on mine is very minor too, probably from the outer seal as you say. I guess its not worth the trouble of changing the pump out just yet.

thanks again.

Online mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2024, 09:31:15 am »
You can get a vacuum pump seal kit.  Just done mine and an easy job.......but the pipe has been bent and you can see the stress on the pipe, where it has lost its curvature.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline huxly

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2024, 09:46:24 am »
Thanks for your reply...Yeah I bought the seal kit but can't get to the top nut with the pipe being in the way. The previous owner had the chain replaced so perhaps that's when the pipe got bent. I may order a new Flexi hose to have on standby (as I heard these split easily) and try to squeeze a socket passed the metal pipe.

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 08:47:57 pm »
The pipe is welded onto the turbo heat shield so I can see why they didn't want to take it off. Unless you clamp those hoses, coolant will drip out everywhere.

As for the hoses, you can get them off easily if you take a 90 degrees pick tool, insert it inbetween the hose and the pipe and move it around so you un-stick it. I haven't had issues with any of them splitting and I've taken off quite a few

Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2024, 05:16:41 pm »
Yeah you can either bend it out of the way for an easy life, or do it properly and remove the hose. A good opportunity to flush the coolant system if not done in a while. The G13 or what ever version its at now needs to be done every 5-6 years iirc.

The ebay reseal kit works OK but the O ring crush is pretty marginal tbh. Could do with kits that have slightly thicker O rings for better sealing.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D