Make a donation

Author Topic: Seized rear brake caliper nipples  (Read 360 times)

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Seized rear brake caliper nipples
« on: August 18, 2024, 02:09:27 pm »
Just had a service done, and I had asked for a brake fluid change, but apparently the bleed nipples on the rear calipers were seized, and they can easily break which would mean new calipers, so they were not keen to progress. I said, ok leave it for now, I will look into that.

So, my Qs are
  • Doesn't having rear pads changed require a bleed?
  • Are they correct on the possible/probable bleed nipples breaking and needing new calipers if so?
  • Is there a way to free them up?
  • How much approx. are new rear calipers supplied fitted?

Looking here for example, they seem to only be about £30 each, but how do I know if these are ok?
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car-brands/spare-parts-vw/golf-v-1k1/18387/10907/brake-calipers.html#10106

TIA  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 02:40:30 pm by jacksosi »
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Siezed rear brake caliper nipples
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 02:11:41 pm »
My replies are:

1. Not necessarily
2. Kind of, they could be drilled out but the labour cost would possible make recon calipers more cost effective.
3. You could try soaking around them with something like Plusgas for a few days to see if that would help.
4. Sorry don't know but ECP show the calipers at around the £140 mark each.

HTH

Copied reply from the 'What did you do..." thread, cheers for the reply...hoping to get a few more opinions too.
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Siezed rear brake caliper nipples
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 02:26:20 pm »
Copied this from the other thread too

• Changing pads doesn't require bleeding since you aren't opening the brake fluid circuit. You simply push the pistons back in with a caliper press (or 2 wrenches). The fluid gets pumped back into the reservoir.
  • They can break and if they do, removing them is close to impossible.
  • Soak it with WD40 for some time. Dont use heat because you can boil the brake fluid eventually and it's also not good for the seals.
  • I had both of my rears replaced with brand new TRW parts for about 80 euros each. Mk5 rear calipers have the tendency to seize up overtime. Especially if left sitting for a long time.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Seized rear brake caliper nipples
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 07:54:15 am »
I agree with the above posts. No need to open nipples to change pads.
£30 seems cheap for calipers. I don't know that brand so couldn't comment on the quality of them. Also I would want red ones  :grin: