Make a donation

Author Topic: Well FML first track day disaster.  (Read 955 times)

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 1
Well FML first track day disaster.
« on: August 30, 2024, 07:30:07 pm »
Welp it looks like I can't catch a break, spent the last year or so getting the car running as best I could and after dealing with a load of gear box issues I finally felt ready to get on track.

Drove 150 miles to the track and first session went great, car ran well nice and quick.

Half way through second session. Low Oil pressure warning!

Limped back to the pits, but by the time I got in the car was not sounding healthy at all.

Left it to cool down a bit and turned it on, and everything quietened back down...

So I limped the few miles back to the hotel, and everything sounded normal, but getting recovery to take me back and will see what kind if damage has been done.

Really hoping I haven't spun a bearing. Not sure what get hit first with low oil pressure.

Sorry for the rant, pretty bummed right now

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Well FML first track day disaster.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 07:55:47 pm »
Wishing you best of luck its nothing serious mate. Been following your posts and know you've put so much work into the car, fingers crossed.

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 11:49:06 am »
Wishing you best of luck its nothing serious mate. Been following your posts and know you've put so much work into the car, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words, im feeling a bit more positive today, will drop the oilpan this week and see what there is to see. Did see a S3 motor for sale online. But more than I can afford at the min.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 04:47:33 pm »
Hopefully just a momentary loss of oil pressure from the oil sloshing about during hard cornering.

That is why BMW M cars have baffled sumps and scavenge pumps.  MK7s are even worse than MK5s for oil surge. You often see Golf Rs belching out clouds of blue smoke on track from overwhelmed PCVs.  Anyway, hopefully nothing serious.  Look for brass coloured shavings in the next oil change and then you'll know for sure.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 09:11:10 pm »
Hopefully just a momentary loss of oil pressure from the oil sloshing about during hard cornering.

That is why BMW M cars have baffled sumps and scavenge pumps.  MK7s are even worse than MK5s for oil surge. You often see Golf Rs belching out clouds of blue smoke on track from overwhelmed PCVs.  Anyway, hopefully nothing serious.  Look for brass coloured shavings in the next oil change and then you'll know for sure.

Yeah the warning came up after a flat throttle left hander. Not so much a turn but enough g forces to push everything to the outside, and with flat foot at 5k rpm..well let's say I'm not hopeful.

The rattling noise and smoke coming out of the valve cover around piston 4 leaves me thinking there is a 0% chance that there isn't damage done somewhere.

With that said, the engine was running quiet when I was taking on and off the truck, so I'll do and oil change and drop the pan, and search for glitter.

But I'm leaning towards trying to keep this motor limping along for now if possible without too much investment, and building up a CDL motor for track work, which I'm guessinging would mainly involve things like a baffled sump. balance shaft delete, maybe oil cooler etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 09:13:49 pm by Marticus »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2024, 01:47:19 pm »

Yeah the warning came up after a flat throttle left hander. Not so much a turn but enough g forces to push everything to the outside, and with flat foot at 5k rpm..well let's say I'm not hopeful.

The rattling noise and smoke coming out of the valve cover around piston 4 leaves me thinking there is a 0% chance that there isn't damage done somewhere.

With that said, the engine was running quiet when I was taking on and off the truck, so I'll do and oil change and drop the pan, and search for glitter.

But I'm leaning towards trying to keep this motor limping along for now if possible without too much investment, and building up a CDL motor for track work, which I'm guessinging would mainly involve things like a baffled sump. balance shaft delete, maybe oil cooler etc.

Aaaaah bugger, the noises don't sound too promising.

I would definitely look into some baffled sump options and maybe an external oil cooler as well and you should be good!  You might benefit from a catch tank as well.  I wouldn't use one on a road car, but they definitely have their place on track cars.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2024, 10:31:56 am »
Check the oil for glitter, if it's fairly minimal the damage may not be too bad.

It's very important to measure the oil pressure to see if what happened was just 'oil sloshing about'. Get an oil pressure test kit, let the car get fully warmed up and measure the oil pressure at idle, 1000 RPM, 2000 RPM and 3000 RPM.

If at any moment during the test the oil pressure drops below 1 bar (14.5psi) you've got a serious oil system problem to solve, so that's when it's time to turn the engine off and investigate.

I can help you figure out what the issue is if you can report back the previously mentioned oil pressure numbers.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2024, 11:28:39 am »
Check the oil for glitter, if it's fairly minimal the damage may not be too bad.

It's very important to measure the oil pressure to see if what happened was just 'oil sloshing about'. Get an oil pressure test kit, let the car get fully warmed up and measure the oil pressure at idle, 1000 RPM, 2000 RPM and 3000 RPM.

If at any moment during the test the oil pressure drops below 1 bar (14.5psi) you've got a serious oil system problem to solve, so that's when it's time to turn the engine off and investigate.

I can help you figure out what the issue is if you can report back the previously mentioned oil pressure numbers.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer, I'll check into it for sure, but want to assess potential damage first as that will decide what I do next and if I keep the engine.

I had planned for oil temp and pressure gauges at some point, so that will be a higher priority now I guess.