Make a donation

Author Topic: WHeel bearing type of noise  (Read 587 times)

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
WHeel bearing type of noise
« on: September 02, 2024, 05:27:58 pm »
Hey guys, posted up on FB groups but no replies, why did all forums move to FB?!

Anyhow, Ive got wheel bearing symptoms, at around 20 mph its like a womp womp womp sound, slightly higher speed and the typical wheel bearing droning noise.

When I turn right at speed, not much noise, turn left at speed and its like a metallic clanging, kind of sounds like a brakedisc shield rubbing or some sort of loose metallic noise. With the noise happening while turning left it indicates a problem with the right side of the car.

However ive had the car off the ground, the rear wheels spin silently and no play when moving at 3-9 and 6-12. Same story on the front, no movement and no noise (just the slight noise of brake disc and pad rubbing)

I put the car in drive and let the wheels spin while off the ground and still I couldnt replicate the noise.

Anyone had this before? Should I just change the right wheel bearings and hope its fixed ?! Thanks.

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: WHeel bearing type of noise
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 09:34:47 am »
I had a similar problem with a Passat recently. With the wheels off the ground there is no weight on the bearings so it's harder to hear any noise. I think you're right though it sounds like a wheel bearing on that side.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: WHeel bearing type of noise
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2024, 10:23:46 am »
You can hear bad rear bearings if you use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope on the hub knuckle whilst rotating the wheel. It's a whirring noise.

The front bearings you can't check for wear until you remove the CV joint.  If you can hear disc rubbing noises when turning at slow speeds, that kind of does indicate a bad front bearing as it's wobbling about under the steering loads.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D