Make a donation

Author Topic: None starting ☹️  (Read 218 times)

Offline platty84

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • https://flic.kr/p/2qhpbfa
    • Email
None starting ☹️
« on: September 19, 2024, 02:13:20 pm »
Hi folks, long timer lurker and unfortunately first post is because of a starting issue  :sick: so my beloved golf of 8ish years started intermittent starting as in turn the key and get just a click from engine bay, try again, click, try again boom started and then carried on like normal for few days then same thing happened again, i was advised most likely the starter motor giving up / not engaging so replaced the started motor (none gen) and thats been fine over a month….until today when i’ve come away for a few days with the mrs and back to just a click when i turn the key, thankfully i was parked on a hill so managed to jump start her drove back for half hour and parked her back on a hill when we got back to where were staying i then tried her again but still just a click, do you think this could just be down to a faulty none gen starter giving up already or a solenoid or ??? Any ideas? Thanks for reading people sorry for the long post  :innocent:

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
Re: None starting ☹️
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2024, 06:57:27 pm »
I've had something similar when my battery was dying and also when I forgot to tighten down my positive battery terminal. See if you can get someone to test the battery health. Anything with 60% or lower should be replaced.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline platty84

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 07:22:20 pm »
Hi  :happy2:,

Thanks for the reply mate, i sort of dismissed the battery because its quite new plus once it started after a few attempts it ran and started fine for days before the dreaded click came back, like i say its just one click not like the mini machine gun clicks that go with a flat battery normally, i’m no mechanic obviously and was wondering if a new starter comes with the solenoid or is that a separate part that could be failing 🤷🏻‍♂️i will get battery checked though just to rule it out  :happy2:

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:08:41 am »
I'd replace the battery in the first instance.  If that doesn't resolve it then check the solenoid.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:38:12 am »
You might have a drain on he battery somewhere.

Changed he stereo by any chance to a Mk6 item without updating the canbus?.........this is a known battery drain.

Also I had my rain sensor always on, checking for rain and ready to close the windows.  Turned that feature off in VCDS and it resolved my battery drain I was chasing, as I do not use the car that much these days and already updated the canbus module.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:45:01 pm »
First of all I would go to a battery supplier and get the battery checked properly.
Did you fit the starter yourself or did you get a garage to do it ?
It would be unusual but not impossible for your new starter to be faulty.
The main lead needs to be checked as they can corroded on the terminals or the actual lead can corrode internally and the same for the earth lead.
Also on other vehicles the actual switch on the end of the ignition barrel can become faulty, I don't know if this is an issue with VW's.
So there's a few things to check for starters no pun intended  :grin:

Offline platty84

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:40:43 pm »
Hi folks,

Thanks for the helpful replies, i’m defo going to get the battery checked when i get back, i’ve not had a new stereo fitted recently or anything like that, i had a mate replace the starter as a foreigner but he’s currently on holiday so didn't want to mither him with my issues hence asking you fine people! I’ll get the leads checked for corrosion aswel thanks for that Lazy, would i still be getting the click from the bay if it was the ignition barrel switch playing up do you think?