Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam chain replacement  (Read 924 times)

Offline OwenED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Cam chain replacement
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2024, 10:44:15 pm »
Hi mate, yeah I welded around the lobes on my locking tool to reenforce it,unfortunately never got to finding out if it was good enough as the bolt rounded 😂 thank you for confirming the genuine part being INA, awaiting my INA one to  come so I can then drill the bolt out, replace adjuster and rings again and fingers crossed be job done 👌🏻 it’s all fun and games isn’t it 😂

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 51
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2024, 08:07:54 am »
Thanks.  Ordered the cam locking tool and had planned to weld the lobes also when it comes........seems to be common practice  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 08:16:41 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2024, 01:24:13 pm »
My bolt rounded too  :sad1:

The other way to deal with this is time up the engine, remove the cambelt and then loosen the cam carrier so the camshaft can be moved. This'll release the chain.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 689
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2024, 08:45:07 pm »
Puddings image:

A break in one of the rings or excessive wear on the adjuster, reduces the oil pressure to the tensioner........then creates the rattle

Don't remind me of that trauma  :grin:  I suffered the rattle for over a year before I finally found the cause!

Gotta say though, the engine ran superb with a VVT repair kit afterwards.  Get it from the Skoda dealer though as it's cheaper. You get a new chain cover housing, VVT adjuster and bolts and gaskets etc for around £500.  Stiffly priced I know, but at the time VW wanted £800 for the same stuff.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2024, 08:20:12 pm »
There is also another way to loosen the bolt!
You get yourselve a second hand camchain cover, cut half of it off so you can see what you’re
doin. Bolt it back on but put the bit on the bolt first then a short extention and a breaker bar.
That worked fine  :happy2:
I’ll post Some pics of it when the uploader here works again!?!
I can’t upload pics for some reson?

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2024, 04:00:03 pm »

Succes😎👊🏻
Hope this helps you guys.
And it’s better to have a help when losening the bolt! Someone to counterhold the camshaft sprocket.
Enjoy 😉

Offline tastyzoots

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2024, 04:27:52 pm »
I have a similar question - had a top end rebuild after chain snapped - had repair done at garage then got a p0011 code - took it back and theyre saying the O ring has broken (appears they didnt replace it when repairing and said it needed a cam shaft adjuster)

So ive got the adjuster but they are saying it needs a new housing now.

they also state that the o rings I have are metal and not plastic like the ones ive seen for sale - AXX engine - can someone confirm if this sounds right or not? thanks

dont want to replace the cam chain housing if its not needed

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2024, 09:11:54 pm »
Original rings were metal, but then VW changed them to plastic as they were damaging the cam adjuster/phaser.
Mike

South Coast

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2024, 09:30:17 pm »
Any idea if they already updated it in 2006 on the BWA or does it still have metal rings? I didn't know as much about the car back when I had mine done and never even thought about checking it. I figure if it's metal, there's no reason to replace them, if the VVT itself was replaced.
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2024, 07:44:54 am »
I am guessing about 2007 they made the change, but depends I suppose on the build date of the engine as seen 2007 S3's and even a 2012 Mk6 R with grooved adjusters.  VWG make a lot of engines so some may have sat before being put in a car and missed the update.

VW can be hit and miss sometimes.
Mike

South Coast