Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel hop fix?  (Read 247 times)

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
Wheel hop fix?
« on: October 21, 2024, 09:54:02 am »
Massive amounts of wheel hop in 1st gear and past 3.5k till redline in 2nd, regardless of driving conditions, temperature etc.

• K04 Swap, stock injectors, 280-300hp
  • New OEM replacement engine, gearbox and dogbone mounts with aprox 15k km on them
  • Vredestein Ultrac Vortii+ 18" summer tires with aprox 6k km on them
  • New OEM reinforced lower control arm bushings with aprox 15k km on them
  • Stock 20 year old shocks with 150k km on them
  • Stock 20 year old springs with 150k km on them
  • Every other bushing is 20 years old on the car with 150k km on them
  • Stock anti roll bars with 150k km on them

I've been planning on replacing the shocks with Bilstein B4's cause I've read they are about 10% stiffer than stock  but also work with both stock springs and eibach Pro-Kit (black) lowering springs. I have a set of these springs leftover from my old mk5.

I figured first I'll try just the shocks and the stock springs, but if it doesnt change anything, I'll try the sports springs. I'm quite happy with the stiffness of the stock springs and I remember I got annoyed with the Eibach's cause they were a bit too stiff for long drives.

How should I go about reducing wheel hop, what are people's recommendations? I'll swap in the S3 injectors later this year/early next year to finish the K04 swap and probably call it a day but if I have this much wheel hop now, I dont even want to think about what it will be like then. The car is mostly a daily driver, about 80km per day, both inside and outside city.

I'd like to retain some amount of comfort where possible but fixing the hop is more important.

Edit: Been meaning to replace all bushings as well but both of the techs I took my car to said they are fine and dont need replacing. Back then I didn't really attempt to do any kind of work on my car but now, a year later, after swapping the turbo, intercooler and all the rest of the bolt-ons, I'll probably do the bushings myself. Found this kit, thoughts? https://psbushings.co.uk/product/vw-golf-mk5-mk6-full-set-front-rear-psb-polyurethane-bushing-kit-05-18/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2024, 10:08:16 am by ZoliWorks »
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 51
Re: Wheel hop fix?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2024, 11:18:28 am »
Shocks will help and bet the fronts will be dead when you inspect on removal.

The control arm bushes with S3 inserts will also help

I also changed the ball joints on the front while it is all apart

I have the B4's with Sportline springs, S3 bush core inserted into original alloy  and it drives great for a daily and a bit of spirited driving.

A full wheel alignment is a must when done

I had initially gone down the PSB route, but they tend to squeak after a year and need removal and silicone greasing regulary...........so opted to remove and put OEM bushes back in MUCH BETTER!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2024, 11:20:15 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 51
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2024, 11:23:41 am »
S3 bushes have no voids like the GTI etc

I used these to replace my original voided ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DHY58W/ref
« Last Edit: October 21, 2024, 11:25:52 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2024, 11:30:21 am »
S3 bushes have no voids like the GTI etc

I used these to replace my original voided ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DHY58W/ref

I have those fitted. That's what parts dealers here call reinforced bushings.

Saw a video earlier of a guy wrapping the poly's with teflon tape before greasing and he's saying they never squeak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbgEvh-rSl4
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Manual | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Sachs X-Tend OEM+ Clutch Kit | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Ta-Technix Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 689
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:56:18 pm »
Wheel hop is hard to get rid of completely. S3 bushes and anti-lift kits help a bit but on my car it was tyre and suspension quality that ultimately got rid of it in the end. 

More negative camber helps as well because under hard acceleration the front end lifts and makes the camber more positive (hence the name 'anti lift' kit) which massively reduces grip. If the tyre can stay more flat on the tarmac, it won't slip as easily.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:33:28 pm »
Will look into it this coming spring. Yesterday I've had a laser wheel alignment done (every wheel was out of factory specs) and now it seems to hop less overall.