Make a donation

Author Topic: Light Scratch - paint restoration  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Light Scratch - paint restoration
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:09:51 pm »
Got some light scratches from "courtesy" wash at the dealers a couple of weeks ago. They must have got some grit in  the sponge that they would have used for the 50th time that day, anyway they took it back in and tried to polish them out not that I could tell the difference, anyway I tried to get them out myself using some turtle wax safe cut:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_158824_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

I did a fairly good job at getting them out but has left the paintwork discoloured with some even finer light scracthes of its own, so perphaps not that safe. I've used some AG Super resin polish to tidy the paint back up but its proving hard work.

Anyone got any suggestions of what other polish / product I could use for this?

Halfrauds has got a 3 for 2 on at the mo so I might nip down as I need a new clay bar and lube in any case.

PS I need a hand polish not machine as I havedn't got a machine polsiher or don't trust myslef with one.

Cheers
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Light Scratch - paint restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:52:40 am »
I'd consider claying the panel before getting in to polishing too much to make sure its properly clean so as not to add to the problems you're talking about.

AG also do a Paint Renovator (Think it has a pink label to the usual white bottle) which is supposed to help with removing light scratches and works by hand just fine from what i've seen of a friend using it although i have no personal experience with it.

I'm sure someone like JPC will be able to give better advice as a detailer, or perhaps try posting on Detailing World for some info however you'll probably end up spending a small fortune on cleaning products lol
Ant

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:08 am »
Yes the Auto Glym paint renovator seems a good bet, just wanted to share some experiences before I spashed out;

heres a pic of the offending area:

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:49:38 am »
Personally I would try some Megs ScratchX http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_203401_categoryId_165527_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PDPZ1

You have to work it in for ages and it might take a couple of tries but it does work well & won't leave any extra scratches / swirls of it's own. Failing that, you're gonna need to machine polish it, which I'd be more than happy to oblige if you are in the Wakefield area  :happy2:

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:22:12 am »
Should have added that I tried that as well on after the "Safe Cut", did improve things but not a complete cure. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient and try again.

I would love to take you up on the machine polishing offer but Im a long way from you in Swansea.

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »
Keep trying with the ScratchX - you do need to rub it in for ages and give it a few goes! You could also try applying it with one of these http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/ultimate-german-applicator/prod_280.html which apparently do help, but I've never used one.

Can you feel the scratches with your fingernail? If so, then there's no chance you'll get them out by hand polishing. If not, then you should be able to get rid of them with a bit of hard graft!

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:53:13 pm »
Has anyone else had good results with megs scracth X? I've got some and can't get any marks out at all with it despite rubbing away like crazy with it (on the paint, not myself!) for ages. I've even tried it with my rotary polisher and it doesn't seem to do anything at all  :confused:

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »
They look like they should polish out without too much drama. With regard ScratchX i think the AG Paint Renovator is the AG equivalent so if you have one then i dont think its worth going to get the other as its the same product by different companies.

As said above, aside from making sure the area is properly clean it will probably just require some elbow grease if you're not using a machine, just be careful as obviously using abrasives on the paintwork will be taking layers off and although tiny amounts, it all adds up and you dont want to end up with an even worse situation.
Ant

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 02:55:44 pm »
Has anyone else had good results with megs scracth X? I've got some and can't get any marks out at all with it despite rubbing away like crazy with it (on the paint, not myself!) for ages. I've even tried it with my rotary polisher and it doesn't seem to do anything at all  :confused:

I've used it before on the light scratches you get under door handles and it did remove some of them, i think they have a new formula out now ScratchX 2.0 which is meant to be better but ive always been happy with AG TBH and its usually more reasonably priced.
Ant

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:26:41 pm »
I think you will be better using a product that will fill rather than be abrasive. Purely for the fact that, you are just NOT going to touch the paintwork on a golf by hand.

Another reason, i see so many cars where the owner tried to get rid of things by hand and ended up putting more serious marks into the paintwork.

I can completely understand owners wanting to try themselves by hand, but it normally ends up worse.

So, Id recommend Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, then a wax.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:34:41 pm »
Thing is using the "Safe Cut" product I did remove the deeper scratches but in doing so was left with more lighter scratches. THe scratch X has made things better, but not removed them completely, thing is do I persist with the scratch X stuff or similar???

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
Im wondering if you just masked it with a load of lighter scratches. I see how you get on with AG SRP, thats the best bet.

Ive seen some real messes with scratch X. Its for "spot" scratches, rather than big areas.

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:12 pm »
Mate JPC is right then again he is never wrong lol! the paint on the Golf is to hard to get paint correction by hand.
The only real solution would be to save up some cash and get your car corrected by a detailer im going to be getting my black GTi done in a few weeks by james in TI22 so youll be more than welcome to pop done after to see what kind of results are possible. Until then youll just have to fill the offending scratches with AG SRP etc to cover the scratches until you can get them removed.

Ben

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 03:03:10 pm »
Rob, Give us a shout next time your in the area will sort it for you.

Ben, Ur soooo lazy :booty:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »
Rob, Give us a shout next time your in the area will sort it for you.

Ben, Ur soooo lazy :booty:

Yup that i am :booty: Just aint got the time to do it anymore plus as its black i want it done properly so if you fancy it :drinking:
Haha

You have PM

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84