Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter tyres?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Winter tyres?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 03:52:30 pm »
A lucky i don't have to drive to work as its only a 10 min work home..

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 04:06:58 pm »
I have invested this year as last year my car was stuck at home for a week as i couldn't get up the hill a the end of the road

I've bought 4 of the same in size 225/40-18" and are getting them fitted this tuesday, really looking forward to trying them out  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 04:12:13 pm »
^^i am looking forward to it also, they seem to have flat tread in the middle and round out a bit towards the edge, i guess it makes for less road contact when snowy etc, or its just they need to be mounted on some alloys and pumped up  :laugh:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »
I've just priced up some of the Wintrac Xtreme for my 17" Monzas on mytyres.co.uk and they are coming in at £178 fitted  :surprised:

Should have tried to get hold of a set in the middle of the summer when no-one wanted them.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »
Just remember though - you can have the best possible winter tyres on your chariot - but you still need to watch out for all the other w@nkers out there - especially those to$$ers in SUVs - who seem to think they are invincible! :stupid: :sick: :fighting:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »
i have ust got some Skoda steel rims on 1956515 tyres with the same pcd as a mkv golf..if i put these on front being thinner tyres than his standard  ones on my mates mk5 gti will it upset the traction control on the car

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 05:00:37 pm »
i have ust got some Skoda steel rims on 1956515 tyres with the same pcd as a mkv golf..if i put these on front being thinner tyres than his standard  ones on my mates mk5 gti will it upset the traction control on the car
I strongly doubt 15" rims will clear your brake calipers.  I think 16s are the bare minimum for the 312 disc set up.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 05:02:13 pm »
I strongly doubt 15" rims will clear your brake calipers.  I think 16s are the bare minimum for the 312 disc set up.
dam good point

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »
I picked up a set of 16" wheels from the GT Sport mk5 golf cheap on eBay. Then got my winter tyres (that I had already) fitted to them.

Since I had my first set I've never looked back; well except in the mirror at everyone else stuck. :driver:
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.