Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil warning light  (Read 12568 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Oil warning light
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:01 pm »
My mistake! I was looking at the Quantum Synta bottle I used on my previous Ibiza Cupra TDI  :ashamed:

It's actually Quantum Longlife 3 5w30 That i've used, last oil change, about 2k miles ago.
OK, no worries. :happy2:

Do I guess that your engine is standard, ie, not remaped?  If it is standard, then the Quantum LL 3 will be perfectly adequate.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »
Standard at the moment kind sir, but I dare say a Revo may be on the cards... Probably not for a few months though!  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 09:35:05 am »
Standard at the moment kind sir, but I dare say a Revo may be on the cards... Probably not for a few months though!  :happy2:
What service regime are you on?  I hope you are on T&D.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 01:53:24 pm »
I don't know... ? How do I find that out?

My car doesn't have VW service history, I bought it with about 37k on, and it just the usual 'yearly' services by garages ( a couple of them VW )

Is there something I can check to find out?

Many thanks :)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 12:06:18 am »
I don't know... ? How do I find that out?

My car doesn't have VW service history, I bought it with about 37k on, and it just the usual 'yearly' services by garages ( a couple of them VW )

Is there something I can check to find out?

Many thanks :)
Have a read of this thread - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=65779.

Basically, 'Time and Distance' (T&D) is upto a maximum of 10,000 miles or 1 year from last service, whichever occurs first - this is a traditional 'fixed interval' service regime.  The 'LongLife' (LL) regime is deemed a 'flexible interval' regime - upto 20,000 miles (for petrols - diesels can go upto 30k miles), or upto two years.

Do you know how to manually call up the service due info in your dashboard?

EDIT: fixed spelling :ashamed:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:24:51 pm by Teutonic_Tamer »
------

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 12:14:29 am »
Hiya,

Just had a read of that now, I hadn't really thought of T&D or Longlife, as I have usually just always had a service every 10k/year, sometimes with an extra oil change in between.

I only bought the Longlife III as I thought it was a good quality oil, not to use it for 20k Miles though, same rules would apply, the 10k/year service.

I don't know how to call up service info? How do I do this (highline dash)

Many thanks

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 12:22:00 am »
Hiya,

Just had a read of that now, I hadn't really thought of T&D or Longlife, as I have usually just always had a service every 10k/year, sometimes with an extra oil change in between.

I only bought the Longlife III as I thought it was a good quality oil, not to use it for 20k Miles though, same rules would apply, the 10k/year service.
It is perfectly acceptable, and strongly advisable to still use LongLife oil, even when on T&D servicing.  LongLife oils are considerably higher quality compared to non-LL oils

I don't know how to call up service info? How do I do this (highline dash)

Many thanks
OK

Sit in car > turn on ignition (but do NOT start the engine) > fit seatbelt (or wait for seatbelt reminder to go out) > press and HOLD for at least two seconds (5 usually does it) the 00 reset button on the bottom right of the instrument cluster (your 'trip' odometer will initially zero, but if you hold the 00 long enough, it will revert back to what it was) > you should then get a message in the centre display stating days and miles to next service.  If it is more than 9,700 miles, or more than 365 days, then the car is still coded for LL servicing.

HTH

Time for kip!
------

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 02:40:58 am »

[/quote]
OK

Sit in car > turn on ignition (but do NOT start the engine) > fit seatbelt (or wait for seatbelt reminder to go out) > press and HOLD for at least two seconds (5 usually does it) the 00 reset button on the bottom right of the instrument cluster (your 'trip' odometer will initially zero, but if you hold the 00 long enough, it will revert back to what it was) > you should then get a message in the centre display stating days and miles to next service.  If it is more than 9,700 miles, or more than 365 days, then the car is still coded for LL servicing.

HTH

Time for kip!
[/quote]thing i will try this tomorrow..you learn some thing every day :notworthy:

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 05:01:01 pm »
Hiya, I did this today, and the first time it said

"SERVICE NOW" then I did something and it came up

476 days or xxxx miles

So I guess thats longlife! I changed my cluster to highline a while back but hopefully it did transfer service data, either way it doesnt matter as i'll just do it by mileage/ yearly if sooner, regardless :)

Thanks for your help TT :)