Make a donation

Author Topic: Hella Celis Halogen Projector Headlights  (Read 12685 times)

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Hella Celis Halogen Projector Headlights
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
Yesterday morning I installed my brand new Hella Celis halogen projector headlights; whilst they look slightly like the OEM HID headlights they are in fact halogen, and the main difference is the "Celis light bar" as Hella call it, which is actually just a tube with an LED at either end in order to light it up.

The "Celis light bar" itself acts as the sidelight, though there is a small dummy bulb placement in the main beam reflector which looks as though it would house the normal sidelight bulb, although there is no wiring for this scenario.  So far I have left the supplied H7 dipped and main bulbs in though I think I'll be upgrading these to Osram Night Breakers at some point in the near future.

First impressions of the lights are good.  Having gone for a quick drive last night I think that even with the standard bulbs the projector gives a much more defined light for night driving and with uprated bulbs they should be very good.  Of couse this perceived increase in lighting performance could just be down to the placebo effect but even if that is the case they should prove useful when driving on the continent as they can be switched for left and right hand driving... oh and I think they look cool  :smiley:

Since things like this are always Marmite in nature I'll post a couple of pics and you can all cast your own opinion...

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Hella Celis Halogen Projector Headlights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »
Really like the look of these and a really good price too.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline T30GUE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:10:04 pm »
I like these too. They appear OEM but with a slight twist. Being made by Hella I'd imagine the quality is very good.

I suppose you could put a decent 4300k HID kit in to the projector housing also, as I see you already have the washers.  Then they would replicate the xenon lamp.
Your supposed to also have auto levellers with xenons mind. But some install OEM xenons without the levellers.

Nice mod though.  :congrats:

How do they look at dusk?

Chris

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »
Look nice, do they do them with black innerards

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
Really like the look of these and a really good price too.

A really good price, yeah.  I got mine from an eBay seller for a snip over £200, bulbs included.

I like these too. They appear OEM but with a slight twist. Being made by Hella I'd imagine the quality is very good.

I suppose you could put a decent 4300k HID kit in to the projector housing also, as I see you already have the washers.  Then they would replicate the xenon lamp.
Your supposed to also have auto levellers with xenons mind. But some install OEM xenons without the levellers.

Nice mod though.  :congrats:

How do they look at dusk?

Quality is really good.  Only thing that I've noticed (and it's not quality as such) is that the headlight housing is slightly bigger on these ones (probably due to the projector) and hence getting at the bulb for the dipped beam is going to be very interesting, especially given that the mechanism to remove the bulbs is different from the OE ones.  Knew I should have looked at them more before I installed them! :sad1:

I'll try to take some pics later today or tomorrow at dusk and put them up :happy2:

Look nice, do they do them with black innerards

Unfortunately not and that was one thing that I was a bit worried about, having a dark coloured car.  But after looking around for a few days I noticed that most cars have light coloured headlights anyway so it probably doesn't look that strange -- just a bit different from the OE ones that have the darker backing.

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »
Couple of pics taken at dusk...

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 10:43:44 pm »
Love them even more !!!!

Birthday coming up soon - can see these high on the list - fingers crossed.

Thank you for sharing and taking the time to put up the pictures  :happy2:
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:08:43 am »
For anyone that's interested, the same eBay seller that I bought mine for has some more of these lights up for sale:

[ebay]250612999319[/ebay]

Oh and I forgot to say before but a big thanks to MR Pap; I sent him a fair few PM's before getting these lights as they are similar to ones that he got and he was very helpful in answering all my stupid questions and giving me some very helpful advice! :happy2:

Offline kippers_cracks

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »
Hi to all ( you will see i am a newbie)

i am the proud owner of a mark 5 golf GT and want to upgrade to these hella lights.

Any chance of some more pics please NEIMAD, from the front at dusk viewing both lights would be nice please.

how have you got on with them ?

easy to change bulbs ?

blown bulbs ?

i really miss the xenons i had in my last car , so the first step to maybe go to a HID upgrade  is to go projector lamps.

has anyone retro fitted headlamp washers, also xenon self levellers ?

any info is appreciated

many thanks in advance

ant
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:35:31 pm by kippers_cracks »

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »
^^^^
Those are really nice looking - Cool pics too. If I didn't already have Xenons [always reminds me of Xanadu and Olivia Newton-John] I'd be all over those like a rash.

As someone said, Hella gear is great quality (did you know I've got Hella LED foglights DRL's?  :wink:).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:31 am »
These look very good quality and almost don't look aftermarket. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:54:23 am »

These look very good quality and almost don't look aftermarket. :happy2:

....Agreed  :happy2:. As do the best aftermarket mods imo, although the cognescenti will always recognise the difference.

Is this what the term "oem+" means?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 06:10:05 pm »
Hi all,

Ive had these on my gt tdi for a few months now and they look great!

I put a 6000 hid kit in them and it matches the blue/white led bar perfectly.

Yes i know i should have auto levelling but no ones flashed me yet!

One thing i will say is if your going to put a hid kit in these get one where to bottoms of the hid bulbs are metal not plastic.

These dont use the bulb holder like the original golf headlights, they use a spring system and its much easier to get a metal bottomed bulb in!
 :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »
Hi to all ( you will see i am a newbie)

i am the proud owner of a mark 5 golf GT and want to upgrade to these hella lights.

Any chance of some more pics please NEIMAD, from the front at dusk viewing both lights would be nice please.

how have you got on with them ?

easy to change bulbs ?

blown bulbs ?

i really miss the xenons i had in my last car , so the first step to maybe go to a HID upgrade  is to go projector lamps.

has anyone retro fitted headlamp washers, also xenon self levellers ?

any info is appreciated

many thanks in advance

ant

Hi kippers,

Welcome to the best source of information, advice and entertainment any MK5 owner could want... oh, and your wallet's worst nightmare! :wink:

Ask and you shall receive:

That was taken with the original dipped beam bulbs in place, though I've since upgraded them to Osram Nightbreakers which give a better, whiter light, though still not as white as the "celis" bar.  I believe you can get whiter bulbs which would give a better match for the "celis" bar but I chose the Osram's for visibility reasons rather than visual ones.

I've not had any problems as such, no bulbs have blown and the only point to mention is that replacing the bulbs isn't the easiest of tasks.  The dipped bulbs are harder than OEM to get to as the headlight units themselves are slightly bigger.  That coupled to the fact that the bulb holder is a metal clip rather than the plastic holder on the OEM units makes it somewhat harder to change, or at least it did for me.

All in I would say they are a good mod, although the real test will be in the coming months when it gets dark a lot earlier.  I do a lot of mileage so good visibility is important to me, though not at the cost of £700 for the factory xenons, amazing though I'm sure they are -- I love the idea of xennon HID's, but I personally can't justify the cost.

The projectors give a good light, even with standard bulbs; the beam pattern is much more defined than the halogen reflectors that come OEM.  I have since changed the bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers and the change again is noticeable.  That said, I am still undecided as to whether to try some other types of bulb -- I read a favourable review of some "standard" bosch bulbs a few months back but having looked in to it I'm not sure it's as simple as the test made out so I'm keeping an eye out for a buy 1 get 1 free at Halfords.  I won't go in to the whole HID kits being illegal speech, but suffice it to say that I'll be keeping mine as halogen.

Finally, I took my car to an MOT centre to have the lights aligned correctly once I had fitted them -- this cost around £10 but gave me peace of mind that I would not be blinding oncoming vehicles and putting myself or anyone else in danger.  Projector-type headlights are renown for glaring and although correctly aligning them reduces the glare they will always be worse than reflector-type headlights so don't be surprised if someone flashes you -- that said, no-one has flashed me to date.

If you are finding that you're missing the real xenon HID's then you might consider retrofitting them.  A few people have done it, most notably MortyGTTI, who I believe retrofitted the headlights, auto-levellers and headlight washers.

Offline chungE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:45 pm »
When you say you get them aligned does that mean theres no where to adjust it using adjuster inside the car?