Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Edition 30 DSG - Tuning  (Read 4119 times)

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 0
  • Surrey
VW Edition 30 DSG - Tuning
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:04:11 pm »
Hi to all.  Purchased an 08 VW Edition 30 DSG last month.  Loving the car so far.  :happy2:

I've looked into tuning the car.  I've moved from a Mini JCW and am staggered at the VWs ability to soak up the power.

So far i've looked at Superchips (Bluefin) and Revo.  The Bluefin looks quite appealing as i can switch between standard and the uprated remap.  I appreciate you can do this with Revo but it is extra money.

My understanding is the the DSG gearbox is limited, software limited, to 350nm and i believe all remaps go beyond this figure.  Do these tuning companies limit the torque increase to 350NM on DSG cars?

Also, i'm not too familiar with the exhaust system on the edition 30.  Is it in anyway uprated from a standard GTi?  If so, is it worth upgrading to a Milltek cat back exhaust or would it only be worthwhile upgrading to say a Milltek sports cat to see any improvement?

Hope you can help.

VW Edition 30 DSG, 5 door, RNS-510

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: VW Edition 30 DSG - Tuning
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

You're right, you can do the same with Revo, but it will cost more money to pay for the Select Switch. A few people have been selling them on here for cheap prices lately, soyou may be able to pick up a good deal. Mine will be for sale in a few months also.

There are people here and in the US who are running silly torque figures through a DSG box. Service it well and regularly and you shouldn't have a problem - I think that's the general consensus.

No differences between the exhaust system on the ED30 and the GTI, although what you've probably already seen is that exhaust manufacturers tend to offer larger diameter downpipes (3") for the ED30 than the GTI. Most people on here buy just a catback system or both a cat-back and a downpipe (which normally includes a 200cell sports cat). If you want to see improvements in power then go for both.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:04:17 pm by WhiteGTI »
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »
Thanks for the response.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
Welcome along matey :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »
Welcome along chap!  :drinking:

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:13:56 pm »
Just a side query, i phoned VW last month to ask for my Edition 30 model number and plaque.  From reading a few posts is the turnaround time of this info quite long?

I thought as things have quietened down regarding the edition 30 that VW would be able to respond within a week or so but nothing so far.   :confused:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »
Hi and Welcome along... :driver:

The Plaques issue has been quite a saga for some owners having to wait ages yet others have got them quite quickly. :pomppomp:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:38:53 pm »
Hi,

Came across these figures from JKM:

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Gallery/rollingroaddays/Golf%20GTi%20RR%20Day%20March%2009/Dyno%20Charts/DSG.gif

The BHP and torque figures are naturally lower than the figures quoted by SUperchips.  I do appreciate however that all cars will vary slightly but these are quite varied.  Does anyone know if this map may have been customised to be lower by the owner or is this simply a variation you can see from car to car?

The reason i ask is that i would like to keep the torque below 258ft lb, i.e. 350NM, for piece of mind.  This map meets that requirement.

I think i have read on the forum that Superchips offer the same map now for DSG and manual cars.   Can someone confirm this?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:50:02 pm »
Your probably better off talking to SC direct. Friendly bunch with top notch customer service!  :happy2:

JKM's rollers are renowed to be accurate on the lean side.   :popcornsoda:

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:14:48 pm »
Yes....good feedback. 

I have now contacted both JKM and Superchips.  Really helpful guys; Keith at JKM and Joe at Superchips.  I was pestering Keith with emails and he was kind enough to answer all my queries in detail.  I phoned Superchips today and Joe was very helpful.

Seems like you can limit torque if you wish but i think general consensus is the DSG box is quite a lot stronger than orginally perceived.  I'm sure you guys all know this anyhow.  Stupid newby's like me asking the same old questions.  :ashamed:

From looking at the torque figures again they are only marginally above the 258 ft lb or 350NM levels anyhow.  And given that REVO and other tuners exceed the Superchips figures would indicate that all the tuners are confident the DSG box can take the extra torque.

I think i will be putting in an order with JKM soon.  :driver:

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:21:22 pm »
Thanks for the PM, Aparoon.  Just so you know i can't respond as i presume i have too few posts.  :rolleye: