Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake - Any gains without a remap  (Read 5054 times)

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Intake - Any gains without a remap
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:23:56 am »
Hi. Just wanted to ask if any gains would be expected with say an ITG intake without having a remap i.e. on a basically standard K03 TFSI  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:03:04 am by conneem »

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
Re: Intake - Any gains without a remap
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
I would imagine that you would still see some gains as the OEM cover is very restrictive.  Its difficult to gauge how much though as I have not seen any stock map cars with intakes.

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:12:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

The reason I was asking is because I have recently installed an intake and ran it for 300km before going to the dyno but it gave no power gains and actually lost a bit in the mid range. I just wanted to see if anyone else had had an intake before they got remaped and hear their experience. The guy who ran the dyno did say that the airflow was increased but the car was not taking advantage and suggested a remap. He mainly works on Jap stuff (and knows his stuff) and I only went there for the dyno but I will be going to another place I know that mainly tunes VAG cars.

Anyway here is the intake I am running, it is from ITG but a bit different from the normal TFSI setup, Andy made it up for me and I am very happy with, it just seems that there are no gains without tweaking the ECU :)

and here are my dyno plots (just a note, I have a full Milltek exhaust, so the first graph shows the difference between standard(green) and with exhaust (red). The second plot shows before and after the intake and the mid range drop is clear (even though it does feel more responsive)

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:50:43 pm »
Looking at your pictures it seems the TT OEM intake is not built into the engine cover is that right?

That being the case the stock TT setup may not be as restrictive as the stock S3/GTI setup etc...

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:55:55 pm »
I ran a Carbonio on my Mk5 GTI for a long time before a Revo remap but I also had the Milltek TBE exhaust. Gave an improved throttle response and was thought to improve torque slightly but no meaningful tests were done.

More efficient but wasted potential until a remap which will then take account of the extra air and ECU will instruct accordingly.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:12:01 pm »
Yeah I think a remap will make the most out of it, that is next on the list of to do's after my brakes but I'm still happy with the improved responsiveness and little grumble and woosh sounds for the mean time  :smiley:

@KRL the standard intake is the same as the GTI/Leon i.e. panel filter in the engine cover.

Here are the before, during and after shots  :smiley:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:51:29 pm »
A CAI on a standard 2 TFSI engine definately makes you loose torque down low and in the midrange. Maybe the OEM one is restrictive but not in terms of airflow capacity but in throttle response. The standard engine/software doesn't need that much air. The benefit of a CAI will clearly be seen on a stage 3 car for example where the OEM intake becomes very restrictive in airflow !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »

Thats a lovely after market engine cover you have got there then :drool:

Would you mind sharing where you got it from or was it a custom job?

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »
A CAI on a standard 2 TFSI engine definately makes you loose torque down low and in the midrange. Maybe the OEM one is restrictive but not in terms of airflow capacity but in throttle response. The standard engine/software doesn't need that much air. The benefit of a CAI will clearly be seen on a stage 3 car for example where the OEM intake becomes very restrictive in airflow !

....If I've understood you correctly, losing torque is not what the aftermarket intake manufacturers say. They say gains, even if only very slight.

The benefit of an aftermarket intake can also be seen on Stage2 (Revo) 2.0T FSI cars - My Forge Twintake gained 20 bhp on dyno-dynamics back-to-back plots (K03 mk5 GTI).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »
Thats a lovely after market engine cover you have got there then :drool:

Would you mind sharing where you got it from or was it a custom job?

Thanks  :smiley:

It is off a TTS, I got it second hand from Germany. It's not a straight fit though. The fixing locations are totally different than my original cover. Here is a pic showing the fixing points.

I tried to get all of the extra bits to attach it but could only get the front little nub (which screwed in no problem). The two rear fixing points are actually extended bolts for the valve cover, I could not get the part number for these and even if I did I wouldn't be enclinded to take any of bolts out anyway. The front nub would not hold the cover securely enough for my liking so I just used a cable tie to attach it to the eye where the normal ITG or neuspeed intake attaches and then just jammed the oil cover rubber collar down.

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 10:51:40 pm »
Hey Conneem what's the craic? Engine bay looking good. :happy2:
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 12:00:23 am »
Hey Conneem what's the craic? Engine bay looking good. :happy2:

Thanks Micky, I must update my thread on vagdrivers.

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:22:24 am »
RedRobin, I was talking about a 100% OEM 2TFSI with 200HP. A stage 2 is a different matter and will benefit of a CAI and a stage 3 even more so !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3