Make a donation

Author Topic: Perfect day - We're Back!! Mission accomplished at the 'Ring  (Read 21764 times)

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
Re: Perfect day - We're Back!! Mission accomplished at the 'Ring
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 12:59:57 am »
I need to get out there pronto! Sounds like a fun trip

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:01 am »

I need to get out there pronto! Sounds like a fun trip

....Don't wait until you're 62yo to do it like I did!

Still, better late than never.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 05:47:38 am »
Alos a member on NL so had a Read, there seems to be a touch of anti Hurdy feeling, not sure why...........  I have sat with John, and lenjoyed the experience.  Something akin to having a pillion lap around Donny with Neil Whitham (many moons ago!)

What was the problem with the police RR? Or is that NL giving duff info?   Redline (I know) Golf and the Polizei? 

Great trip! 

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 06:57:02 am »
Fantastic read and pics..It brought back that sick feeling I had on my first lap,car was only 3 weeks old.Them times are pretty good,tho as RR says you should,nt time em... Wot no Sabine stalking. :party: Sat next to her in the Am Tiergarten.She was very happy to pose for pics and talk about been better than Clarkson. :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2010, 08:49:46 am »
Alos a member on NL so had a Read, there seems to be a touch of anti Hurdy feeling, not sure why...........  I have sat with John, and lenjoyed the experience.  Something akin to having a pillion lap around Donny with Neil Whitham (many moons ago!)

What was the problem with the police RR? Or is that NL giving duff info?   Redline (I know) Golf and the Polizei?  

Great trip!  

....Hi Dave,

Any anti Hurdy feeling was very understandable and to be expected. Hurdy wasn't the first to join that forum and then post he'd done a zillion laps on playstation etc, just a few actual laps driven, and that his lap times were fast and that he was out to lap faster - Kinda both challenging and, without knowing Hurdy, you'd be forgiven for thinking reckless. Such people have often ended up crashing.

But now it's all done, Hurdy has major respect and the real cred he deserves.

Lap timing is strictly verboten on trackdays but everybody, except me, does it. I'm not anti lap timing but I just personally prefer to drive and learn at my own pace without such self imposed pressure and there is a heck of a lot to learn about driving the Ring. I got one or two (short) sections nailed though.

Gotta dash.. Will post about my police stop on return.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Ifti

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2010, 09:34:45 am »
Great trip - awesome video Hurdy!

So what happened on the way back RR!!!!!!
Followed the entire thread through since Hurdy mentioned it in his initial post, and notice you are still keeping us in suspense!!

Hurdy...............Oh Hurdy.....................well just.............  :notworthy:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2010, 09:40:29 am »
Yeah, I posted up a "feeler" thread, that sort of developed into a will he or won't he crash thread :laugh:

I hammed it up a little and it turned into one of those epic/legendary banter threads. It did the trick of getting me well known very quickly. I was stood next to one guy after the trackday at the Comfy Corner and he asked if I was new, I replied yeah, I'm Hurdy - his reply was....."So you're Hurdy, I'd been wanting to see you throughout the day, but you were always on track...epic thread mate"  :grin:

The "Hurdycross" thread is turning into another good thread - based on the fact I took a "shortcut" across the grass at over 100mph to overtake a BMW that had just indicated to let me pass  :driver:  The guy just happened to be videoing the lap too!!

Golf R gone.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2010, 10:53:54 am »
Just found this link for you...

Think it explains the prescence of the 599xx

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=21852

New target time Hurdy?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »

What was the problem with the police RR? Or is that NL giving duff info?   Redline (I know) Golf and the Polizei?  

So what happened on the way back RR!!!!!!
Followed the entire thread through since Hurdy mentioned it in his initial post, and notice you are still keeping us in suspense!!

....Batting along with Hurdy in front and driving according to traffic and conditions. Which meant anything from 90-110mph mostly. I'd been the one to warn Hurdy about police usually setting ambushes near country borders and low and behold, about 25km from French border with Belgium I spot a police bike ahead parked and waiting for me. We both knew what it was about and I slowed, changed lanes and followed him into the Jabberwocky services (E40) where a police mobile office was parked.

"Does anyone speak English, please?" was obviously my first question and a guy came over and asked if I knew the speed limit in Belgium. I said no and that I simply drove according to traffic flow and conditions and that meant that sometimes it involved speeding. He was satisfied and didn't give me a lecture and told me that the limit was 120kmh and I'd done 146kmh so I had to pay a fine. All I was interested in was if points were given and he quite proudly said not in Belgium. He then took my licence and asked me to go to the services shop to get some cash.

In the queue were an English couple who had also been stopped. They were really miserable and were accusing the police of only stopping English cars. They weren't petrolheads. Stupid people - There's no point being miserable or getting arsey. To get cash back I bought a couple of chunky Kit-Kat bars and when I got back to the police office I showed but held back the cash but put the Kit-Kat bars on their desk and said that was the real reason they stopped me. That got laughs all round and we started chatting, mostly about how the French police were worse and a bit about my car which one of them seemed to like.

One of them started to tell me that there was no speed limit in France and then made a pretend call to tell them a red Golf was heading their way. He then told me the border was 25km and that their limit was 130kmh and the French police were not so kind.

An English biker on a very mean black Yamaha R1 had also been stopped and had no number plate fixed so I helped him with some gaffer tape. I'd seen him at the motorsport hotel where we stayed.

I think that without a points system, driving can be more relaxed because you can go as fast as the conditions safely allow and then accept that occasionally you might have to make a financial contribution. Bloody UK! Crap UK roads etc, rant rant rant  :wink:

Hurdy was parked up waiting for me at the next stop and we continued the last part of our journey at an extremely boring 130kmh speed - Dull!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:25:49 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »
You smooth old dog you Robin!  :love:

Ifti

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2010, 02:19:55 pm »
Luckily didnt get the points!

And I hope they bloody gave the kit kit bars back! lol

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2010, 02:30:08 pm »

you cant get points abroad.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2010, 02:32:55 pm »

Luckily didnt get the points!

And I hope they bloody gave the kit kit bars back! lol

....One of the Kit-Kat bars is still in my fridge  :party:

Yeah, good job about no points - Let's hope that the Eurocrats never get their act together and never have the same road laws throughout the various EEC countries. They can't even coordinate DRL rules, so there's hope! I've heard nasty stories about Kent police assisting French police in catching English speedsters in Northern France but don't know how true they are.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »
And here was me thinking that as it involved RR it was going to to be Fruity.  No Lesbian Police ladies involved, no strip searches (brace yerself I am coming in dry RR!!)

Still you did give him 4 fingers.................................. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:21 pm »
You never fail uncle  :congrats: :congrats: :grin: :grin: :grin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic