Make a donation

Author Topic: Perfect day - We're Back!! Mission accomplished at the 'Ring  (Read 21778 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Perfect day - We're Back!! Mission accomplished at the 'Ring
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 11:06:20 pm »

Here's a pic by a pro photographer on the Karrussel (Redrobin, your pics must have arrived too!)

....Yep, I got mine last night. I've already posted in Reply #10 - The other pics were a bit ordinary. But here's the best of the rest:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:28 pm »
I ain't no expert and I think you'd had your tuition after that so it'd be sucking eggs anyways. Decent pedalling.

Did you start using M at all? The box was humping around cogs all over the place in S and that would have un-nerved me somewhat.

I used M on about 8 laps usually on the second flying lap. Must have hit the rev limiter about 10 times in all, but the lap times were similar anyway. Traction control was off for about 12 laps after discovering I didn't need it and it helped with pulling cleanly out of tighter corners where the traction control was cutting in. Shows that the box is working great too :happy2:

Waiting before turning off the ESP just sounds like good practices to me, you've gotta get a feel for the tarmac on the given day before switching it all off and giving it 6-nowt!

The car's performed well then - strong as a bloody ox these MK5's!! What about consumables - did you do a set of tyres/pads in?
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:44 pm »

Waiting before turning off the ESP just sounds like good practices to me, you've gotta get a feel for the tarmac on the given day before switching it all off and giving it 6-nowt!

....Later in the day, plus some tuition, I started going faster (don't ask because I don't time laps) and so the ESP kicked in much more, especially with road tyres. When I switched the ESP off for the GP section where there's more space I carried too much speed into a corner and took to the hard green stuff but got back on without landing in the kitty litter.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:24 pm »
Well done guys!! Looks like you had an awesome time there!
Alex

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:14 pm »
Good that you lost it safely though Robin, you'll know exactly what it feels like when it's on the limit again next time and correct it before it snaps.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:28 pm »
Good that you lost it safely though Robin, you'll know exactly what it feels like when it's on the limit again next time and correct it before it snaps.

....I'll be keeping the ESP on for a while on the Nordschleife though and go for road-legal track tyres and a tad more frontal camber with TT arms (Hurdy's advice).

Earlier, George suggested the option of going slow with ESP off and building it up over time.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »
Robin just catching up regarding the bigger rears.

Just a few Questions did you stick with the DS's on the front or go with the Blues how many laps? how hard were you pushing? any fade and lastly regarding the rears did you get the impression you were as fast with just less drama or less drama and faster?

You got the Tarox's on Hurdy?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:50 pm »

....I'll be keeping the ESP on for a while on the Nordschleife though and go for road-legal track tyres and a tad more frontal camber with TT arms (Hurdy's advice).

Earlier, George suggested the option of going slow with ESP off and building it up over time.

I don't want to ruin a thread with dynamics - but as a quicky. TT arms deffo, good call.

Sticky tyres just means you get more grip and therefore go faster around corners.. they don't stop you making mistakes and as a consequence you make them happen faster and they're harder to save. The 'building up' plan is the best option, when your tyres are getting a bit worn book a day at somewhere like Bedford with acres of track width and run off and get it sliding about.

Lift off o/s can be your friend!
Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:20 pm »
Looks like you had a brilliant time, wish I could be there... Only 11 months to wait!  :party:
Still sporting your dubkorps jumper I see  :grin:
Did you get footage of that 599 overtaking you you overtaking that 599?  :rolleye: :P

No footage of that.....hold on a minute.......thanks to frozenspeed.

Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »

The car's performed well then - strong as a bloody ox these MK5's!! What about consumables - did you do a set of tyres/pads in?

The R888's probably have a local trackday left in them. They have molten rubber stuck to them, but they still grip better than the road tyres.

The pads were brand new for the trip and I've done about half of them now :evilgrin:
The brakes were phenomenal and never faded, plenty of feel to them and shaved off speed VERY well :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »

Just a few Questions did you stick with the DS's on the front or go with the Blues how many laps? how hard were you pushing? any fade and lastly regarding the rears did you get the impression you were as fast with just less drama or less drama and faster?

....I stuck with the DS2500's on my front AP's and had the oem(?) pads you supplied with the rears.

I spent the day concentrating on where the turn-ins are and the best lines. I've now got the tricky Wehrseifen to Lauder's Barbecue nailed fairly consistently and got a big buzz from being smooth. I'm sure you know me well enough by now to know I'm simply not into lap times or lifting wheels.

I only did one full VLN lap plus VLN cool-down at a time with a break in between.

The brakes gave no problems whatsoever but I am only just beginning to get used to the improved braking performance.

Btw, I know other people's views on the importance of splash guards (on my rears) but what's yours? (I don't have any fitted).

ADDENDA:
Less drama? - Yes. The only drama is the question if someone close behind you can stop!
Faster? - Dunno, but reckon it potentially is because everything is more flowing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:08:56 am by RedRobin »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 12:01:33 am »

You got the Tarox's on Hurdy?

Yes I have the 10 pots with 2 piece discs and Rallye+ pads, with the S3 rears. They work VERY well together and braking is very neutral and balanced. My recommendation would be to always have the rears upgraded to the S3's if you are running a big brake kit up front. I'd say less drama and faster for sure :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 12:05:09 am »

The 'building up' plan is the best option, when your tyres are getting a bit worn book a day at somewhere like Bedford with acres of track width and run off and get it sliding about.

Lift off o/s can be your friend!

....Thanks, Mike  :drinking:. Then I think I'll ask my friend Mark Farmer (ex VWR) to give me some tuition at Bedford.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 12:18:16 am »
How they behave when you get them by the scruff of the neck - you never have to understeer again!

Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 12:24:05 am »
Some more pics of the cars there on the day :happy2:

Golf R gone.