Make a donation

Author Topic: Feeler thread - Group buy on Mk2 TT lower arms...................  (Read 53276 times)

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Feeler thread - Group buy on Mk2 TT lower arms...................
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2010, 12:01:33 pm »
Just a note for anyone wanting to do the balljoint only method, seems the TT balljoint is not an exact fit to the oem S3/Cupra arms without some slight modification to both the balljoint and the control arm? Seems to then render the camber adjustment fixed thereafter too?

Jon-Tfsi is also a member on here too i think so may be best to get his input  :happy2:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=227110&page=2

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:05:03 pm by Beddie »

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 12:04:22 pm »
ok, so just to confirm we will be getting "slotted" ball joints mate?

if so can i order a set of ball joints/locking plates/and bolts for £100.80, how do i go about ordering them  :jumpmove:

I have qouted on the following part numbers

8J0 407 365 and 8J0 407 366.  The pic (taken from ASN) below depicts one side - 365.

PM'd Owen

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »
Given Beddie's find, I think the ball-joint only method is not the way forward. 
 :sad1:

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:15 pm »
 :sad1: :sad1: thought it was to good to be true, never mind... looks like i will just need to get a set of top mounts instead

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2010, 12:43:57 pm »
the better(albeit more expensive option) would be to still get a set of the TT lower arms and ball joints for that extra negative camber, and then get a set of top mounts that are caster adjustable and realy increase the caster.  caster is better for a fast road setup than the negative camber.  additional caster is what makes the walk such a good mod

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2010, 12:48:35 pm »
arnt there top mounts availible that are camber and caster adjustable

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2010, 12:55:31 pm »
no idea mate tbh.  tonydanza or jonny might be bale to help you there

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »
arnt there top mounts availible that are camber and caster adjustable

KW makes a set, but for their clubsport springs, smaller diameter than stock and most aftermarket springs, i'm in the proces of getting parts made so they fit my KW V3  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »

Just a note for anyone wanting to do the balljoint only method, seems the TT balljoint is not an exact fit to the oem S3/Cupra arms without some slight modification to both the balljoint and the control arm? Seems to then render the camber adjustment fixed thereafter too?

....Obviously as a GTI owner I'm only interested to know that the TT items in this GB will fit my car. I'm now a little confused by the S3/Cupra input.

So, can anyone confirm that the parts listed for the GB will in fact fit my 06-build GTI without possibly inadvisable modifications, please?

Stokey, are you considering these for your Ed30?

the better(albeit more expensive option) would be to still get a set of the TT lower arms and ball joints for that extra negative camber, and then get a set of top mounts that are caster adjustable and realy increase the caster.  caster is better for a fast road setup than the negative camber.  additional caster is what makes the walk such a good mod

....As you know, I already have the WALK giving additional caster plus the KW-V3's. For my use (fast road + occasional trackday, mostly Nordschleife) I don't need the less durable(?) KW Clubsport or the expense of adding top mounts.

Good advice though, Sy  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »
robin they are a direct fit to your car, ask Jonny cos he had these on his ed 30.  You will need everything pon that list of parts though.

the cupra guys thought they could get away with using their existing lower control arms, however as it seems they are in fact slightly different, so tey will no doubt need everything as well.
I don't need the less durable(?) KW Clubsport or the expense of adding top mounts.  
 from the research i did prior to buying the tt arms, i found that top mounts were about the same cost as the tt arms.  

i remember reading somewhere that jonnyC used both the tt arms and top mounts, as it made the cars roll centre better.  im not to offay with roll centres, all i know that if the roll centre is out the handling will become worse.  

maybe someone like JC or tonydanza could explain the ins and outs of roll centres on cars
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:25:52 pm by vRSy »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
RR,

As Sy alludes to, the issue for the Cupra/S3 boys is the fact that the S3/Cupra lower arm is slightly different to the MK2 TT arm, therefore the 'cheap' option we thought may work (buying the ball joints only) is in fact not available to them without (IMO) unsafe modifications to the current alloy S3/Cupra lower arms.  So if the S3/Cupra boys want (Safe) adjustable camber, then the MK2 TT arms  and ball joints are also required.

The GTI however has steel lower arms, and to add camber to the GTI you need to fit the whole package (TT Lower arms and Ball Joints), and then you will benefit from much lighter wishbones and add some adjustable camber.

So for either the s3/Cupra/Gti to gain adjustable camber you will need the whole kit.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2010, 05:28:38 pm »

The GTI however has steel lower arms, and to add camber to the GTI you need to fit the whole package (TT Lower arms and Ball Joints), and then you will benefit from much lighter wishbones and add some adjustable camber.

....Just what I need - A minor tweak to the camber such that my wheel arches accommodate the tyres better when pushing on, yet without compromising tyre wear, plus of course the further improved handling on trackdays. Any weight saving is not something I seek but is nevertheless a bonus.

Does the provisional list need revising, gentlemen?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2010, 06:11:45 pm »

....Just what I need - A minor tweak to the camber such that my wheel arches accommodate the tyres better when pushing on, yet without compromising tyre wear, plus of course the further improved handling on trackdays. Any weight saving is not something I seek but is nevertheless a bonus.

Does the provisional list need revising, gentlemen?

RR, you know you need them, no idea in denying it  :grin:  :booty:

http://www.seiboncarbon-uk.com/pdut_detail_pic.asp?ItemID=671

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2010, 06:29:17 pm »
Would the Cupra / S3 control arms fit the ED30 without the TT ball joints purely on a weight saving basis?
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »

RR, you know you need them, no idea in denying it  :grin:  :booty:

http://www.seiboncarbon-uk.com/pdut_detail_pic.asp?ItemID=671

....Barsturd son of a so-and-so!! Why did you have to post that!?

I suppose that if you need to ask how much they are, you can't afford them. No price on the linked page.