Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza 2 Refurb help/advice  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Pullafacial

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Monza 2 Refurb help/advice
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »
Hi,

I bought a Mk5 GTI with 18" Monza wheels yesterday and due to collect Friday.
The wheels are badly scuffed and corroded so the dealer offered to refurb them but could only paint them silver.
I thought this would ruin the look of the wheel but have since read that if they refurbed to standard finish they are likely to be just as bad in a year or so. Are there any other options to achieve a simialar look face with dark inserts that would last longer and is there any where close to Norfolk I could get them done.
I've seen people mention A1, pristine and some others but all seem miles from me and as I have no spare wheels, not sure what to do.

Saw some pictures on here of a chap who had his done with black inserts and thought it looked awsome!

Cheers,

Steve

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Monza 2 Refurb help/advice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:37:29 pm »
chrome style powder coat and paint the inserts?

PM for details

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:15 pm »
If you go to the members discounts section there's link to wheel refurb company that you get discount on and I believe you can send them via courier or they have loads of places maybe? Can't quite remember. They will pretty much do anything you want though.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »
If you go to the members discounts section there's link to wheel refurb company that you get discount on and I believe you can send them via courier or they have loads of places maybe? Can't quite remember. They will pretty much do anything you want though.

...........thing is tho mate he has no spare alloys so can't really send a set for refurb. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Pullafacial

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:36:29 am »
Craigy - chrome style powder would look I reckon although I don't think could do that with out sending them away.
Gene - Sending them away is the issue, guess most people that have their wheels refurbed must have multiple sets of wheels!

There is a guy who works for wicked wheels who could turn up in his van and paint them for me which is starting tolook like the only viable option. He do them in silver, black or a grey which is a bit darker than the origonal insert colour.

Don't suppose anyone has pictures of a grey GTI with grey wheels and whats the general opinion??

Stteve

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:50 am »

There is a guy who works for wicked wheels who could turn up in his van and paint them for me which is starting tolook like the only viable option. He do them in silver, black or a grey which is a bit darker than the origonal insert colour.

.... :stupid: Somehow I doubt the results will be either very durable or even very good. Powdercoating is best done under more controlled conditions and with curing.

Check out A1 (Nigel) in Wolverhampton - He might have wheels to lend while doing yours.

All about Monza 18's and white worm etc here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html

Hope this helps  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Pullafacial

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »
Cheers for the advice.
What is the difference between powder coating and painting the wheels?

Also, if anyone has pictures of their grey GTI with different wheel finishes i'd be interested in seeing piccies.

Steve

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:20 pm »
The place I used locally for my last set of rims doing did them in the same day. I took the car and left it then got a taxi back home. It cost me extra but in terms of quality and durability there were fine in the 3 years I had them. So good that I've taken my Monzas there too. I'm sure somewhere near you will do it or can't you by a cheap set of steels just to put you on maybe? Just an idea mate.