Make a donation

Author Topic: Pollybushing a GTI  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Gti_Mad

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
Pollybushing a GTI
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:51:36 pm »
Hi lads i bought a superpro polybush kit a few months ago and havent got round to fittin it yet just thought i would see if anyone has had one fitted or fitted one therself and could gimme some advice on how 2do it and how long it takes

many thanks dawain

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Pollybushing a GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:54:09 pm »
Hi lads i bought a superpro polybush kit a few months ago and havent got round to fittin it yet just thought i would see if anyone has had one fitted or fitted one therself and could gimme some advice on how 2do it and how long it takes

many thanks dawain

Also if people have fitted them how much difference they made as its always something ive been interested in doing

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:24 pm »
A friend of mine had all his bushes done on his highly modded Mk5 GTI (he doesn't go on forums unfortunately) by VWR. He said it made a big difference to the feel of the car and he liked the results.

I reckon it's a mod rather like full engine mounts inasmuch as not everyone will like to lose or compromise what they see as a level of comfort.

It's something I will probably do one day but not on my priority list.

Btw, it's not spelt like Polly's bush but polybush. You wanna pic of Polly's bush? - No you don't!  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:12:05 pm »
oooooooooopss my bad  :ashamed:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:10:01 pm »
oooooooooopss my bad  :ashamed:

....Absolutely nothing to worry about, mate. I'm a bit of a stickler about spelling etc you may have noticed.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:02 am »
poly bushing the entire car would make it much more responsive to your input and the roads input as its not being damped as much anymore.

i bought a bush set a while backbut sold them when i saw how long it xcould take to fit the entire kit

rear bushes 9 hours labour :surprised: :surprised:
http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/2465/rear-kit
front bushes 4 hours
http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/2464/front-bush-kit-mk5-chassis

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:02:28 am »
hi,

i think it really depends which bushes you are talking about, their location, function and labour to change, and whether its considered a weakpoint in the OE design
Its worth considering longevity too, whilst initially they can make vast gains, longer term may not work so well.
find someone whos actually done it first (and does the kind of usage you anticipate), especially for things like rear bushings.

what area is the kit you have for?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:34:03 am »
I wouldn't touch the back end, you want that bit of flex and progressiveness the OEM mounts give there. Great for track use, but on bumpy roads having a snappier tail in the wet could catch you out. Honestly not worth the money or labour on a road car IMO.

The front benefits a lot though. Whiteline or Superpro anti-lift/caster kit, accompanying front wishbone bush. FIN.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 09:56:01 am »
I wouldn't touch the back end, you want that bit of flex and progressiveness the OEM mounts give there. Great for track use, but on bumpy roads having a snappier tail in the wet could catch you out. Honestly not worth the money or labour on a road car IMO.

The front benefits a lot though. Whiteline or Superpro anti-lift/caster kit, accompanying front wishbone bush. FIN.

....Good points as always, Mike  :drinking: - Will take polybushing throughout off my longer term list.

Got the Whiteline kit and TT wishbones next = FIN on suspension.

[Shutup Hurdy!! I'm not swopping KW-V3 to Bilstein no matter how good!]

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:34 am »
Having been out with RR, the ride in RED is excellent. What exaclty have to done suspension wise RR? I did just assume you were poly-bushed through out already, plus the VWR dampers and engine mounts.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:06:07 am »
Having been out with RR, the ride in RED is excellent. What exactly have to done suspension wise RR? I did just assume you were poly-bushed through out already, plus the VWR dampers and engine mounts.

....Glad you enjoyed it and it's always nice to share enthusiasm :drinking:

Not in order of importance:
- Eibach anti-roll bars.
- Whiteline caster kit.
- VWR-KW-V3 coilovers, corner weighted, setup for fast road and occasional trackdays.
- Quaife ATB diff.
- Full set VWR engine mounts (helps get the power down and Grrrrr soundz into the cabin!).

Helpers:
- AP Racing front brakes and S3/R32 rears.
- OZ lightweight wheels (two-thirds the weight of Monza's).

To do:
- Audi TT wishbones.

As you already know, there are 'comfort' compromises when you mod a car in this way but I only like driving cars which feel taut and tactile.

I'd love a Porsche Cayman and doubt I'd want to mod it but the Mk5 Golf hatchback provides much more suitable space etc for my lifestyle.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:09:12 am by RedRobin »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:16:05 am »

....Good points as always, Mike  :drinking: - Will take polybushing throughout off my longer term list.

Got the Whiteline kit and TT wishbones next = FIN on suspension.

[Shutup Hurdy!! I'm not swopping KW-V3 to Bilstein no matter how good!]

There's nothing really sloppy on the back, like the big voided bush the WALK replaces for example - so you just get a nice, easy to manage rear which will tail slide safely when the need arises!

I think the multilink works so well it doesn't really stress the bushes, hell yours has done 70k or so on them now? I bet they're not even close to looking worn?? Can't say that of most cars.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 11:24:06 am »
^^^^
I think the bushes got inspected at around 60k miles and no probs. I've only needed to replace ARB bushes. Now done 85k in coming up to 5 years next month. Much less mileage in last year.

Solidly built little German car, is the Mk5 Golf  :notworthy: - Very special allrounder.