Make a donation

Author Topic: Been out in a Golf R  (Read 35134 times)

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Been out in a Golf R
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2010, 09:47:46 am »
saw this on another forum:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/historic-inflation-calculator

In the 'decimal' section, try putting in the original prices of GTI's from years past.

As a guide:

1990 Rallye was £17261
1990 8v GTI approx £14k
1990 16v GTI approx £15.5k

1997 VR6 Highline was approx £22k

So with inflation taken into account todays prices seem about right.

Yes its just a golf but a top of the range one, the same as with the M3 its just another 3 series but still a top of the range one.

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2010, 10:20:58 am »
I bet the average wages dont inflate alike though.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
The mk6 costs less to make than the mk5 but it costs more than the mk5 did and all Vw have done is use the old r32 chassis stuck an ed30 engine in it's place and stuck a face lift body ontop of it all and put the price to get back costs from the mk5 but who cares if you can afford it as it's still a GOLF costing stupid money

....So what?

A Golf is a hatchback which can seat 5 people comfortably and also can carry large items. It's also a compact size and you can cruise your kids to school in it and rush home like a screaming rally driver if you want. It's simply a great allrounder. Suits my needs purrfectly so what do I care what others think about the price. /end of.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:07 am »

Why does every thread about the Golf R always get people bleating about the cost? I'm inclined to think that it's because they'd love one but can't afford it.  :evilgrin:

If you haven't realised already yet, it's not just the Golf R that costs relatively more than what you paid for your new car.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about what the Golf R is like and not whether you want to pay its price?

this is true, the last fiesta the wife got was a nicely speccd zetec and that cost her 8.5k new, her latest one is a mk7 nicely speccd one and they are about 11.5-12k !!, I think times have moved on and unfortunatley most peoples wages have not LOL

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:45 am »
I could accept the price if the car was a revelation in the hatchback world, but the problem is, it's not!  :sad1:

The whole car is just a mix of components from the VAG / Audi parts bin which have been readily available since 2006, bar the GEN 4 Haldex! So in reality it's nothing new it's just VW trying to pull a fast one with the pricing and brand the car as a revelation so to speak! The amount of money they must be making on each R is obscene, after all there must be very very minimal R & D costs to recuperate as the same car has been rolling round since 2006, albeit with 4 rings on the front  :wink:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
I might read this thread before bed tonight....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »
I could accept the price if the car was a revelation in the hatchback world, but the problem is, it's not!  :sad1:

The whole car is just a mix of components from the VAG / Audi parts bin which have been readily available since 2006, bar the GEN 4 Haldex! So in reality it's nothing new it's just VW trying to pull a fast one with the pricing and brand the car as a revelation so to speak! The amount of money they must be making on each R is obscene, after all there must be very very minimal R & D costs to recuperate as the same car has been rolling round since 2006, albeit with 4 rings on the front  :wink:

....You've forgotten to factor in changes in currency values and you assume far too much about profit margins within the VAG production accounting without any real knowledge of it whatsoever. I hasten to add that I don't know their margins either.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2010, 02:54:36 pm »
how dull does it look in this colour
http://pistonheads.com/sales/1698373.htm

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2010, 02:58:29 pm »
My Mother has a fully loaded MK6 GTD in that colour. It's actually really nice.

It's not right for the R but then you have to understand that subtlety is quite appealing to some people.

Saint Steve

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2010, 04:24:53 pm »
Its a Posh Ed30 with a 4 wheel drive system, which means moddified, it will eat alot of things on the road.

Besides how much it costs :indifferent:. Its still a positive progression for a performance Golf.

Id buy it as im a fan of Vw Golf GTi's/R's

Bollox to people saying "But you can Buy so much better for that Much"

Then go buy something else. Its selling its full allocation and vw are having no trouble selling it.
Im gonna keep buying my scratch cards and hope i could buy one without financing. :chicken:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »
i am a huge golf gti fan as i have had them all but this is not a gti its an R so not a gti  :P its the new r32 as such but they had to drop the ed30 engine in due to climate change and all that  :smiley: its not a car for me as its going down that dull look of just blending in to everything else in the car park and for £40k i would want everyone to look at it go WOW i like that  :drool: this just is never going to get it and maybe people like bland looking cars but for me its got to say something and this does not say anything at all to me.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2010, 04:47:45 pm »
German cars, and VAG Group cars in particular are quite dull cars though. Nothing would surprise me more than VW producing a widely provocative car. They sell them on other qualities, just as Ford and Renault sell their cars on differing qualities.

If you're waiting for a VW or Audi that will make you go WOW, then I think you'll be waiting a long time!

Saint Steve

« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »
Everyone has different tastes Matt. Some people prefer the car to look less in your face, rather then the Focus RS look where you cant miss it coming down the road, or the Sound of a Suburu coming down the road from 200 yards away. Not everyone likes to be Noticed.

We all have different tastes, and in my oppinion If this same car was less money (say 30K full spec) then im sure that you and quite a few others would be not dissing this car and saying its a backward step.

I would think my car with 4 wheel drive,re- mapped would be an absolute animal! , and would love to test it out.

The current R is also dull to look at compared to the GTi. They havent had trouble selling R32's have they because they look dull???

I think the Golf R is another step foward with more power on tap, cheaper to run and Tax then its predesessor.

I hope one day i can afford one. No Question , id swop mine tommorow for one.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »
the thing with the r32 is it looks classy and it just looks bang on pure and simple but the golf r i am just not sure on as the r32 was a great car and fully loaded did not cost 40k so i just dont get the Golf R and the r32 has the noise too  :evilgrin: but as we all say it would be boring if we all liked the same bland cars  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »
German cars, and VAG Group cars in particular are quite dull cars though. Nothing would surprise me more than VW producing a widely provocative car. They sell them on other qualities, just as Ford and Renault sell their cars on differing qualities.

If you're waiting for a VW or Audi that will make you go WOW, then I think you'll be waiting a long time!

....Which is exactly why some of us modify our VeeDubs: