Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto Levelers & HIDs  (Read 3469 times)

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
Auto Levelers & HIDs
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:47 pm »
Can the above be done?

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Auto Levelers & HIDs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:31 pm »
If you mean can you install auto levellers and xenons, then yes it can.  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:34:07 am »
Its a lot of work though.  Not only do you need two complete Bi-Xenon headlamps (complete with ballasts), you need both front and rear level sensors, the ECU, all the relevent wiring.  And then you'll need a new switch on the dash.  Don't forget the headlamp washers too.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:36:20 am »
Looks like he might mean auto levelers with non oem hid kits, which I wouldn't think would be possible?
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:44 am »
Looks like he might mean auto levelers with non oem hid kits, which I wouldn't think would be possible?

Thats what i was thinking.. are the bulbs not the same?

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:34:16 am »
I'm not sure to be honest but I 'think' they are quite different ...  :confused:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:54:31 am »

Nope - completely different. Auto levelling is the least of your worries though. HID kits aren't legal because you cant put an HID bulb in a headlight that's be type approved for Halogen bulbs.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:00:27 am »
I was thinking of changing the headlights too for the hella projector type

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200434750166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 11:41:28 am »

NO - if you are simply using a HID kit; then the bulbs will have a different base to match the donor headlamp - usually a bodge-job H7 cap grafted onto a cheap Chinese inferior HID capsule.  Not only will these produce a truely shyte beam pattern - they are highly illegal, and very dangerous to other road users.

Basically, if you fit a HID kit into a non-HID specific headlamp, your insurance will be voided, and if you are involved in an accident - even if it was NOT your fault - you will still be liable for the TOTAL claim of ALL parties (the other car driver; emergency services, highways, etc) - and these claims can well run into tens or even hundreds of thousands of pounds.  As an example - a simple two car accident I was involved in many years ago - the total cost to the third party was over a quarter of a million quid.  Is it really worth the risk.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »
what about if i change the headlights to the projector type above. They are the same as the oem zennons

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:40 pm »
what about if i change the headlights to the projector type above. They are the same as the oem zennons

No they aint.  They are designed to use a HALOGEN bulb, not a HID capsule - so they will NOT be legal.

There was a serious thread on this issue on the other GTI forum - going into great detail; and quoting all the laws and stuff.  Have a search in the Mk5 section on www.GolfGTIforum.co.uk - look for thread starter 'Creepy Coupe'.

Also, Auto Express mag did an article explaining the law on this, and there is a direct page on the DfT website also clarifying the same.
------

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:02:41 pm »

Just to clarify - they might look the same visually but they are still only type approved for Halogen bulbs.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:05:12 pm »
Cool.. thanks for the heads up guys