Make a donation

Author Topic: 4th year service  (Read 1353 times)

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
4th year service
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:52:29 pm »
Rang my local VW dealer (Citygate) today to get some prices for my 4th year service, cambelt change and brake fluid change.

I was told that the service would be £320 (!!!) but they currently have an offer running that will give me 2 services and a brake fluid change for £299. The current price for the service I'll need next year is £185 and the brake fluid change is £65, so will be saving myself £271!

I then asked the cost of changing the cambelt, they quoted £600 and something, (I missed the actual amount as I dropped the phone in shock!).  I said I can get it done much cheaper at another VW dealership for £299, which they said they would match. The other dealership is about 30 miles away but they still matched it.  I asked about changing the water pump but was told they will inspect it and let me know if it needs changing while they are doing the cambelt.

So car booked in for later this month for all that and an MOT. Was expecting an expensive month anyway but quite happy now it's not as much!

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
Re: 4th year service
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »
Good but not that good when they happily charge you £600.00 and if you hadn't said anything they would of charged your card. I personally would of driven the 30 miles on principal. It's disgusting businesses that try it on like that infact you should really be reporting them to VW even if they probably do nothing I'm sure it will be logged somewhere - sounds like a right shoddy setup for a dealer. (imo)

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:30:04 pm »
Hi MB

I had my year 4 service only last week & belt & pump change. I also signed up to the £299 two year servicing deal. The package also includes two free MOT's as well.
Prices for my cam belt started at about £580 but ended up at £385 including the water pump. I didn't want to take the risk of not having the water pump done even though the car has only done 7,300 miles.

Annoys me also that dealers  try it on with prices. They are all at it.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:34:08 pm »
its not just dealers guys, it happens with every item you could care to look at. I am not saying it's right, just that it happens with everything in life.

Take a look at different insurance quotes. The maths tells them it's worth a punt as there is always people who dont research and accept the first thing that comes along.  :sad1:

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:41:01 am »
You should have the waterpump changed just to be on the safe side, don't want all that labour cost again :wink:

I know what you mean TC, it's like renewal quotes with insurance.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:24:39 am »
When I take the car in I was going to tell them to do the water pump anyway while they have the car in bits.

They didn't mention MOT's in the £299 service offer, but I already get free MOT's through their Citygate4life scheme.

I can't fault the dealer on anything they have done for me in the past. I agree with TC that they just hope some people don't do their homework and except whatever price they say.

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:37:14 pm »
its not just dealers guys, it happens with every item you could care to look at. I am not saying it's right, just that it happens with everything in life.

Take a look at different insurance quotes. The maths tells them it's worth a punt as there is always people who dont research and accept the first thing that comes along.  :sad1:

Indeed - all sales people try it on, the customers who don't say anything subsidise the deals for those who do ask!! So always make sure you ask then you won't be subsidising us!   :grin:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 03:31:42 pm »
Got all that done for £420 inc water pump, mot, service.

Service is £89.

There is a post about this on another thread. 
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.