Make a donation

Author Topic: coilovers to lowering springs  (Read 4999 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: coilovers to lowering springs
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:38 am »
cheers andy thats much appreciated

Cheers mr rascal im going to see what sort of condition they turn out like and then plaster them in grease maybe slap them back on and see what they are like with the new poly bushes?

Ultimately I want a full respray and an S3 engine to go in so in the long run the suspension is going to need uprating :

Cheers

Darren

With or without Haldex?

....Now there's a question!  :popcornsoda:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:09 pm »
without :happy2:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »
without :happy2:

I guess coming from a diesel you're used to torque steer and wheel spin  :wink:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:03:54 pm »
Ho yes, had my fair share of wheel spin and flappy hand shake :grin: also used to have a 300hp focus ST and a 320hp scooby so either way is good for me :happy2:

By the way would I just need the S3 engine and ED30/Capra K1 gearbox to mate to the engine to get FWD? or would I need to change the flywheel and clutch plates?

Darren

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:24:09 pm »
Ok Daz...off the wall and a bit off piste but should be straightforward for a man with your talents......

Find a GT Spec Rocco thats been written off and buy the ACC Dampers and Controller and switch, then get some Eibachs and get it all wired up and working and have the first Active Chassis Control Mk5....

You've already got the level sensors on for the Xenons.

Its also more comfy as you can select comfort when you're cruising or SPort when hooning

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »

Its also more comfy as you can select comfort when you're cruising or SPort when hooning

....I think ACC is a waste of time. I hated the feel of driving in 'Comfort' and so after experimenting to and fro I stayed in so-called 'Sport', which wasn't very.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »
I loved it on the R8 V10 - more comfortable and supple that a TT in Normal and perfectly taut in Sport. Electronically adjustable suspension is a brilliant innovation as it means you arent tied to one suspension setting for all occasions (and without the need to get dirty or even out of the drivers seat to change it) which therefore means that the car isnt as compromised dynamically for one purpose over another. It's still early days in lower level cars like the Golf but in my mind, it's the best of both - just like DSG is as a gearbox

It wont belong before there are aftermarket options to tune the software further still, just as there has been with DSG. There are already upgrade kits for some Mercs that run electronically controlled suspension.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »
I loved it on the R8 V10 - more comfortable and supple that a TT in Normal and perfectly taut in Sport.... It's still early days in lower level cars like the Golf but in my mind, it's the best of both - just like DSG is as a gearbox

....Yeah, but we're talking about how it is now and on the Golf platform.

I think you're doubtless right about ACC becoming much improved given more development in time.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:11 pm »
As with all things, you get what you pay for..

FK's are cheap, there not particularly good when there new, they wear out and then they break.. I have seen it over and over and over..

I would say your best bet would be to buy a set of KW V1's which should give you the lowering your after with the improvement in handling but will last too..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline ashley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35:46 pm »
As with all things, you get what you pay for..

FK's are cheap, there not particularly good when there new, they wear out and then they break.. I have seen it over and over and over..

I would say your best bet would be to buy a set of KW V1's which should give you the lowering your after with the improvement in handling but will last too..

Agree with that man, Stick to coilovers your regret downgrading. KW's, AP's and Eibachs all have better shocks and the adjusters are plastic so wont stick unlike the FK's. Ive got some eibach Pro-streets for sale if your interested  :happy2: Same shocks as the stainless KW and with Eibach springs the best combo!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:38:51 pm by ashley »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »
how much ashley?

Dave i never really thought of that and it would be cool but i would have to drive a car with it on before spending money on it over some decent coil-overs

Think i might start stipping this out and selling things to get the engine in and sorted?

The big thing is i dont want to get  rid of this golf cos its just not worth any thing so may aswell just strip and track it...
Darren

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 09:30:46 pm »
when you pop to mine Darren,have a ride out in mine,and compare the difference in ride quality to yours

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 10:15:33 pm »
an S3 engine you say?     :popcornsoda: