Make a donation

Author Topic: Question on installing Forge twintake. Please help  (Read 7026 times)

Offline kenody

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Question on installing Forge twintake. Please help
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
Hi everyone. I'm putting in the forge twintake on my ED30. But I am not sure about the install direction of the carbon cannister.

According to Forge's offical guide:
During installation, the filter cannisters should be oriented such that the end of the filter as seen through the
opening of the cannister is pointed outwards and is attached to the respective inlet duct. The larger open end
of the filter should be attached to the piping. If the filter cannisters are ever removed, they must be
reinstalled in their original orientation, otherwise reversal of the direction of airflow through the filter
element may dislodge any previously caught debris that could then enter the intake tract and turbo.

Therefore, the direction should be like the picture shown below: 

But according to RedRobin's review post: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html
The carbon cannister is installed the opposite way against the offcial guide. Picture as shown below:

RedRobin also mentioned ^ IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the delivery end of the filter and is contrary to the common practice of narrow circumference of filter at suction end. which is the way he installed.

I also had a look of the Forge official guide AUDI S3. It NOTED: During installation, the filter canisters should be oriented in the reverse to ‘normal’ i.e. the open end of the filter is attached to the respective inlet duct and the pointed end of the filter is attached to the pipework. This is the recommendation from the filter manufacturers themselves, and supposedly aids flow through the canister.
So this sounds like the same way as RedRobin.

Now I am totally confused. Can anyone please tell me which way is the correct way. Much appreciated!

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Question on installing Forge twintake. Please help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:47 am »
I should really leave RR to do this but apparently Forge have since confirmed that RR's filter orientation is correct.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline kenody

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:02 am »
Cheers bacillus. I will wait for RR to reply. BTW, the intake makes quite obvious noise when first start up the car and also when increase the throttle. (the current filter cannisters are installed the same direction as RR's way ) and also the DV now makes more frequent noise than before. I guess it is due to the much increased air flow.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:58:50 am »
^^^^
Hi guys,

Forge are supposed to have revised their instructions for the filters to orientate the way I have posted and shown - I'll phone them later.

The history of this is that one of their guys in America installed it the 'wrong' way around as designed but the usual way for similar shaped filters. The same guy created the instructions pdf and has not apparently been very willing to admit his mistake.

Forge UK (head office and their Twintake designer) have confirmed my interpretation as correct.

Check out my review thread:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

You won't do any harm by installing the 'wrong' way around but if changing, make sure you carefully and thoroughly remove any debris.

Hope this helps. Robin :smiley:

P.S. - If you feel at all unsure about accepting the word of this internet expert called RedRobin, call Forge who are very helpful (John is the guy who knows about this subject) - 01452 380999
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:02:31 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline kenody

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:11 am »
thank you so much RR for clarifying this. do you like the noise the twintake make?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:28:04 am »
^^^^
Yes, I love the noise. It's just right as far as I'm concerned and is to some extent controllable by how you action the throttle pedal. Having aftermarket (VWR) engine mounts and an unlined carbon bonnet additionally transfer its sound. It's very noticeable but not intrusive or irritating or grating - But sound is very subjective and we each have our own preferences.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline kenody

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:51:40 am »
yes you are right. It is very subjective to personal preference. I guess I need to get use to the sudden change of the noise level first. I noticed the sound is actually mainly coming from the front air duct

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:51 am »
^^^^
To hear it at its loudest, find a long tunnel.. Sunroof open or window down a little, or both.. Stay clear of vehicles in front.. Boot the throttle and then quickly and suddenly lift off..  :jumpmove:

Just talking about this is making me want to go out for a drive!

Offline kenody

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:59 pm »
haha ~I just finished watching the EP3 of the new top gear. They were doing the same thing in the tunnel with Maserati Quattroporte, Aston Martin Rapide and Porsche Panamera. Spectacular noise they make....

but it is impposible for me to find a tunnel here Auckland..... :( Kiwis dont like tunnel....