Make a donation

Author Topic: Can i run pure METH ?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Can i run pure METH ?
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:32:55 am »
This is a theortical post (or not).

i want to run my car at higher octane levels since our normal 98ron in israel is not really reliable and differs in quality between stations.

i thought in the beginning on running C16 or Q16 race fuel , but those are extremly expensive.

i have done some testings in running a 40% Meth / 60% 98ron mix in the tank and it worked fine.

i also know that VW has a version of E85 for the TFSI engines , which probably means they replaced the rubber parts so the meth doesn't corrode them.

now funny enough , here in israel pure Meth is cheaper then 98ron and although it has lower BTU ratings the octane is extremly higher.

what are the limitations of running pure methanol or ethanol as a fuel in our cars ?

i'd like to hear any ideas.

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Can i run pure METH ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:49:03 am »
I was speaking to the lcoal Mitsubishi Tuner about this. They explained that while the potency of this fuel is higher, it will lean out the mix somewhat. In order for it to be used in closer to pure form, you would need bigger injectors.

They were busy doing this to an Evo 8 with a GT42 Twin Scroll Turbo turbo (800bhp) as on the r/r, it was found to be running very lean with greater concentrations of Methanol.

They said it would be ok to mix Methanol with Unleaded in a 10/1 mix as an octane booster though.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »
when you say 10/1 , do you mean 10% meth ?

i was running 40% meth and the mixture was really fine , a little lean with AFR's in the range of 0.85-0.95 but really ok.

i know of an EVO here in israel running pure Ethanol , but i have no clue how to translate it to an FSI engine.

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »
I was speaking to the lcoal Mitsubishi Tuner about this. They explained that while the potency of this fuel is higher, it will lean out the mix somewhat. In order for it to be used in closer to pure form, you would need bigger injectors.

They were busy doing this to an Evo 8 with a GT42 Twin Scroll Turbo turbo (800bhp) as on the r/r, it was found to be running very lean with greater concentrations of Methanol.

They said it would be ok to mix Methanol with Unleaded in a 10/1 mix as an octane booster though.
Any idea as to what the octane level maybe if a 10% mix of  methanol was added to Vpower mate? Did they happen to say.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »
If methanol is so cheap, Id be looking into water methanol injection as a pose o water methanol fueling.  That way you can be sure of no issues provided its fittied corectly, and having the WMI gives he same effect as having higher octane fuel as detonation is reduced

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:42 am »
Ok , just for you who were interested , those are my conclusions :

1) meth has much lower caloric value then 98ron , therefore you need to inject about 40% more.

2) this can not be done with FSI injectors since we are limited by injector capacity.

3) if running very high quantities of METH through WMI or additional injectors , the FSI injectors will pull back since the Lamda sensor will sense much higher fuel concentrates , this means you will then need to run more meth through aux injectors.

so overall , it is possible , but a real headace. add to that that the fuel system needs some parts change (meth + plastic = damage) and an additional injectors management will be needed , i am backing off right now.