Make a donation

Author Topic: Knackered Turbo K03?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
Knackered Turbo K03?
« on: November 26, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »
Hunting around on the net to find some info. Found only 2 our owners with very similar if not the same symptoms.

Over the time I've owned the car (4 years), cold starts within 30-60 seconds of starting. It's a tad kangaroo like to drive and the exhaust note after 1sec of started gets louder. I've always blamed it on the auto choke theory. Plus I've always had a raspy rattle from the down-pipe area around 1-2,000rpm.

Since fitting a large bore down pipe with 100 cell cat a month ago. That cold start noise has magnify a lot (as to be expected).
But that raspy rattle is still there. That's a new exhaust fitted now. A VW/Skoda/Seat master technician (good friend) said it could be the turbo.
Could explain a few things like boost hesitation when changing gear over the last year or so.

Been 'eco' driving since Tuesday because of distance I've got to cover for the next couple weeks. My usual commute don't exceed 50 mph.
But Friday, I'm now at my current location for a couple of weeks. I went onto a A road and it was then I noticed I had no turbo. Symptoms;
- No boost.
- Just pure engine mechanical noise.
- Quiet whine, tssh from the induction if I floor it. Barely hear it all.
- Exhaust its notably louder.
- Feels like a N/A engine.
- Engine Idle and running hasn't changed. Still smooth as previous.
- No management light.
- No Faults recorded at all.

Only fault that's recorded is my 100 cell cat.
001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1
P0420 - 002 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON

In general it feels like my misses old 2.0 FSI.

I've checked so far;
- All boost and vacuum hoses.
- GFB DV+ and that's fine (Over a year old).
- PCV is working good.

I unplugged the MAF while it was on idle.
The revs dipped slightly and instantly idled normal, the exhaust note was quieter.
Plugged in and the revs dipped again and instantly ran normal. Exhaust note louder.

I've ordered a new turbo from TPS, Tuesday I'm picking it up. Between now and then I want to find as much info as I can please.

Offline harveym3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Knackered Turbo K03?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »
Shame you orderd a new turbo mate I've got one for sale .

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:34:41 pm »
Have you got VCDS and done some data-logging to see from the Horses mouth that you have no boost?

The 'choke' varies the cold idle rpm based on EGR parameters.  Sometimes it will only idle at 1000rpm when it's 0 degrees outside, but 1200rpm in the middle of summer.  That is all automatically controlled and not a fault.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »
I have always had the raspy rattle sound (4-5 years since buying the car) It's the wastegate on the turbo when off boost.

I had my turbo inspected by a turbo specilalist which they found it was causing no issues at alll, it made the correct boost figures through all gears so I just left it. It hasn't caused a problem once.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:30:48 pm by mac456 »

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:21 pm »
I ran logs on VCDS and passed them onto a few peeps onto TFSI group on Facebook. Confirmed there's no boost at all and my waste gate has broke.

Offline Leco_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 10:12:05 pm »
Have you got VCDS and done some data-logging to see from the Horses mouth that you have no boost?

The 'choke' varies the cold idle rpm based on EGR parameters.  Sometimes it will only idle at 1000rpm when it's 0 degrees outside, but 1200rpm in the middle of summer.  That is all automatically controlled and not a fault.

I was womdering why on those cold mornings when I start the car the RPM sits at 1000 and it doesn't feel like a proper loud cold start. One of those days the RPM was at 900 when I started the car in the morning.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:13:40 pm by Leco_GTI »