Make a donation

Author Topic: im running the BUPA London 10000 tomorrow  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
im running the BUPA London 10000 tomorrow
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:43:34 pm »
hi guys

Every year i try  to do at least one fundraising event for a charity, and this year ive chosen to do the BUPA london 10000 run on may 31st.  However my reckoning is that 10 kilometers isnt really that hard at all, and wouldnt normally be worthy of fundraising,  so me and 7 of my work colleagues have decided to make the 10K Run a damn sight harder.

We will be doing the full RUN in our uniform and boots whilst carrying a Bergen(back pack) containing 20Kg in weight.  On average that is an additional 25% of our body weight to carry.  However to make it even more challenging we have set ourselves a target time to complete the distance in.

So a target time of under 60 minutes, carrying 25% of our body weight, which works out to 10 minutes per mile. :confused:

Below is the link for our fundraising page.
Who would like to sponsor us!! http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RoyalEngineersforssafa

So if any of you guys would be kind enough to donate to the charity, it would be very much appreciated and would be going to a very good cause.  

Each year i choose a different charity and normally it is a smaller charity that suffers under the limelight of more established/well known charities.  This time i thought i would choose SSAFA forces help, a long term forces charity that is this year celebrating its 125th year of service to the armed forces both serving and retired.  All though thy have been out a long time they are overshadowed by the likes of "Help for Heroes" and have suffered lack of funds as a result. The good thing about SSAFA is they directly support individuals and their families, as a pose to the H4H charity who support much bigger causes etc.

Thanks to steveP for allowing me to post this up, and many thanks to anyone who is kind enough to donate some money to this event. :drinking:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:36:54 pm by vRSy »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: BUPA London 10000 - the hard way
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:14 pm »

Wondered why Id been seeing the octy outside the gym in the morning!  :P

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:52:03 pm »
thats only on tuesdays and thursdays mate, thats all part of operation get massive lol. 

Mondays, wednesdays and fridays is bergen runs at 6am, which is not really so good when your sat in lectures all day :indifferent:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
I've coughed up Sy 'cos I think its gonna hurt  :signLOL:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »
thanks very much mate.  Your not wrong about it hurting, weve been doing loadsa training to make sure we get below the hour and honestly it fecks me up for the whole day.

you should try staying awake through electronics lectures after that is unreal. :laugh:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:19:51 pm »
I will be sure to look out for you nutters then as I am doing that run again!! :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:34:52 pm »
its not going to be easy at all.  i know that from the training we have been doing already.  My body is in absolute pieces lol.  dont think i the issue though, 3 of the guys weigh more than 100kg(ones not in the pics) and one of them is 118kg :scared: he has to drag himself around there as well as the kit.

The sponsership is starting to come in now thick and fast. just need to update the offlline sponsership.

Sponsorship still open guys if you would like to support our cause :happy2: :happy2:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RoyalEngineersforssafa

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Re: im running the BUPA London 10000 tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:40:07 pm »
well tomorrow is the day.  we've done plenty of training now, and i reckon we can get this done in an hour on the day with the extra buzz of the spectators cheering us on.

the amusing news is there are also a team Royal Signals soldiers doing the run with the same weight backpacks as us, and there is no way im going to let them beat us, not that were competitive or anything :grin:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 07:50:06 am »
:popcornsoda:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 10:57:47 am »
The runs all done now. 

The crowd were absolutely awesome giving us support, plus some of the ladies in the lycra running kit :drool:
we were the last group to start the run, which was a real pain in the ass trying to get through the pack and into some clean road.

We didnt manage to break the hour though, took us 1 hour 10 minutes.  we pretty chuffed with it though, thats only half a minute longer per mile than the target 10 minute miles.  the big tall bald guy in our group was hanging out his ass by the 3/4 point and decided to deploy his anchor :grin:, so we slowed down a bit so we would still come in as  a group.

I am in absolute pieces now though. 

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:25 am »
Can I get a refund as you failed to beat the hour.  :laugh:

Only joking mate. Good effort.  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 03:11:55 pm »

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: