Make a donation

Author Topic: MAC users - over here!  (Read 8186 times)

Ifti

MAC users - over here!
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:15:07 am »
I have my system now, and had the chance to have my first play with it for an hour or two last night. Im still going to reinstall the operating system etc, but just installed a few programs I had (Office/Photoshop) and had a play with the operating system to 'find my feet'.......still dont know where some stuff is, but I have the general idea around it now.....

I must admit though, even though Windows 7 gives you more flexibility etc, and as much as I like Windows 7 (and will be running it via BootCamp anyway) I do like the simplicity and 'lightness' of the MAC OS X so far. Ive yet to reinstall the system after I messed about with it etc, and set it up with my programs and settings, but it seems fine for my needs as a home user - which include just doing the basic emails/internet, the odd document, and odd bit of video/photo editing.......i couldnt ever use this at work though, as I would find it limiting in a network environment.

One question I will throw out though - Email...............I have MS Entourage and Apple iMail - which do other Mac users tend to use?

Entourage seems the better of the two, but it saves emails to a database, and when backing up via Time machine (incremental) it will backup the entire database over and over, thus wasting space, whereas iMail saves individual messages, so is less wasteful when backing up as only the new messages/changes are backed up..... I have both applications, but am tempted to use iMail due to the above, and due to the fact that I only need an email app for the basic sending/receiving of emails, nothing more......

Which Email program do you use, and which is recommended?

Also any other applications I should be installing?
So far I have Office 2008 and Photoshop CS4.

Do I need any security apps to protect me when on the net? I understand antivirus is not required?

Also, will 'SuperDuper' allow me to clone the entire drive once Ive set it up how I want it. so if anything happens I can stick the image back on?
I will get a Time Capsule to use with Time Machine at some point, but I would like an image of a freshly installed system as well for now......

Finally - Safarai - should I ditch it and go for Firefox?

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: MAC users - over here!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:30:10 am »
It is just called Mail on the Mac. I've used it since it came out and find it far superior to any other mail client, simply because it is so stripped back. It does everything I need it to and the interface is 100% Mac so it feels like a fluent part of the OS X user experience.

Even if you do go for Entourage there is a simple way of making Time Machine back it up incrementally.

I think it's a myth that you don't need antivirus software however in the many many years I've been using Macs I've never had any antivirus or security software installed on any of my computers.

SuperDuper is good but Time Machine should allow you to do exactly what you describe.

As for Safari, I've heard complaints of it being crashy from a few users here. Never experienced that myself and have used Safari for a long time. It is a far far quicker browser than Firefox but if you're doing web development the Firefox plugins are pretty useful.

Incidentally why are you going to reinstall the OS? Is it not a new machine?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:33:24 am »
Oh, and why do you think it would be limiting in a network environment? In my experience networking in a Mac environment is so so simple, and I haven't a particularly technical background.

Ifti

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:18:46 am »
Just my first impressions - Im a new MAC user remember. I have no doubt it can be networked etc, but I just feel its so much more basic and simplified then Windows - which isnt always a bad thing!

Ive been messing about with the MacBook, installing stuff, and generally tinkering around. I always like to reinstall when I get a new system, although I realise the MAC doesnt really need it, since Ive been messing about with stuff I'd prefer to reinstall and freshen it out bfore I really set it up with all my iTunes and email etc....

I installed Thunderbird on my Windows machine and imported emails, and Mail seems to pick them up from the Thunderbird profile nicely.

Only think I need to figure out now is setting up my iTunes on the MAC! Ive copied my iTunes folder from my Windows machine onto an external HDD, so its ready to copy over to the MAC - how do I link iTunes with my content though?

Also, is Firefox more secure then Safari?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:21:08 am by Ifti »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:31:58 am »
Also, is Firefox more secure then Safari?

I can't really answer that, as a Mac user security has never been much of a consideration (whether that's naive or not I don't know).

As for other software, check out these programs:

Evernote
Things
Dropbox
Spotify
Perian
VLC
Adium
Onyx
Handbrake
RipIt
BBC iPlayer

Ifti

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:13:53 am »
Cheers mate - will go through that list!!

I was going to install VLC Player for my DivX movies, but rather then install a seperate player I found Perian instead, which does the trick...

http://www.perian.org/

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:36 am »
Yep, it's on the list :happy2:

To be honest though Quicktime seems to handle mostly everything nowadays.

Ifti

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:51:34 am »
lol sorry didnt see it.

Thanks a lot mate, your help is much appreciated.
Will spend some time this weekend setting everything up - also looking at maybe buying Parallels to run Windows 7 within OS X....

Now I need to find a decent carry case for it....  :wink:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:56:44 am »
Hardgraft mate, expensive but worth it. I've got their iPhone case and sling sleeve and they are lovely.

http://shop.hardgraft.com/

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:58:35 am »
i can only echo andrewparkers answers, nail head  :congrats:

Ifti

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 12:46:48 pm »
Cheers, will check it out  :wink:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:53:36 pm »
although he did miss one link..... http://cupidtino.com/  :grin:

Ifti

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 02:12:21 pm »
Cheers

If I copy my iTunes folder onto external HDD from my PC and move it to the MAC, how do I get iTunes on the MAC to link to it?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »
Preferences > Advanced

Then change the iTunes Media folder location.

Ifti

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
There's more to it then that since my library file will have the paths to the music files etc relevant to a pc, which uses drive letters. The mac does not use drive letters so although it shows the music files etc, it can't link to a song.

I think I need to edit the Library.xml file and change all the paths in that to point to the files onthe mac instead......