Make a donation

Author Topic: MAC users - over here!  (Read 8191 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: MAC users - over here!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »
My dad's got a 27" machine at work and it looks sweet as anything, but sometimes you can get lost in the screen space. I found this with the Mac 30" monitors as well (which is why I prefer my 22"s).
My mum got a 21.5" unit to replace her dead iMac 4 and I think it's a lovely size. Screen is not too big but still gots lots of space to do stuff (email and Intertrons in her case).

She's got an iPad as well; the two complement each other very well.

@RR, why not get a Mac Pro and a couple of monitors instead of an iMac? the Mac Pro line are the only machines from Apple I genuinely desire (simply because of their nice build quality, upgradability, and ludicrous specs; I'll throw the OS out :P ) and at least with a Mac Pro a future upgrade path is available.
Plus multimonitor goodness.

/see, not always a zealot - I can be reasonable :P

:surprised:

/faints of shock
 :P

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 12:03:25 am »

@RR, why not get a Mac Pro and a couple of monitors instead of an iMac? the Mac Pro line are the only machines from Apple I genuinely desire (simply because of their nice build quality, upgradability, and ludicrous specs; I'll throw the OS out :P ) and at least with a Mac Pro a future upgrade path is available.
Plus multimonitor goodness.

....I've had the big Mac desktop system (now failed) and the 27" iMac has easily enough processing power. I've got a spare Apple Cinema 23" monitor I could hook up to it anyway. Plus we've also got a G5 Dual PowerMac plus MacBook Pro at the music studio and various portable LaCie hard drives for transporting files to and from studio><home. iMac is the way I want to go - I've given it a lot of thought and have owned other iMacs before.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:17 am »

My dad's got a 27" machine at work and it looks sweet as anything..

@RR, why not get a Mac Pro and a couple of monitors instead of an iMac?

/faints of shock

....Yes, I was quite shocked to read this too  :evilgrin:

@ cmdrfire: Your dad obviously has good taste! A man of style.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:58 am »

/faints of shock

What's the difference between a Mac user and a terrorist? You can negotiate with terrorists!  :jumpmove:

....I've had the big Mac desktop system (now failed) and the 27" iMac has easily enough processing power. I've got a spare Apple Cinema 23" monitor I could hook up to it anyway. Plus we've also got a G5 Dual PowerMac plus MacBook Pro at the music studio and various portable LaCie hard drives for transporting files to and from studio><home. iMac is the way I want to go - I've given it a lot of thought and have owned other iMacs before.

Fair enough, the new iMacs are really rather swish with their black surrounds and glass panelling (the new 24" LED Cinema display is like that as well - I'd wouldn't mind that in the middle of my two Samsungs).

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 12:10:18 am »

What's the difference between a Mac user and a terrorist? You can negotiate with terrorists!  :jumpmove:

....You're absolutely right! Having a Mac or not is totally non-negotiable!

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 12:14:51 am »

/faints of shock

What's the difference between a Mac user and a terrorist? You can negotiate with terrorists!  :jumpmove:

Thats more like it!  :signLOL:

Ifti

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 09:00:30 pm »
Any of you guys have the Magic Mouse?
Im thinking of getting one, but since its so slim Im not sure how comfortable it would be? Loved the concept etc - played around with one briefly today at the Apple store, and it seemed OK to use, but Im concerned it will get a little uncomfortable with prolonged use due to there being no support etc for your hand........or is it just a matter of getting used to a slimmer mouse?

Just after some comments from anyone who has the mouse, and whether you are still comfortable with it after prolonged use?....

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 09:03:55 pm »
Yep I have the magic mouse and I have had no problems with comfort. (I have been using it all weekend to try and complete some work). Its excellent for the scrolling and double finger swipe. Makes doing things so much quicker and easier, I would defiantly recommend one. :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »
I use a Magic Mouse with my G5 PowerMac setup. It really is lovely and after using it for a day or so every other mouse seemed bulky. Downsides are that it can be slightly over-sensitive, especially if you hands/fingers are sweaty. It's also a nightmare trying to use Google Maps with one.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 09:42:49 pm »
I use a Magic Mouse with my G5 PowerMac setup. It really is lovely and after using it for a day or so every other mouse seemed bulky. Downsides are that it can be slightly over-sensitive, especially if you hands/fingers are sweaty. It's also a nightmare trying to use Google Maps with one.

Takes a while to get used to doesn't it!  :laugh:

Ifti

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 09:40:20 am »
Hmmm.......gonna have to get one of them now then!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
^^^^
Turning into a Mac gadget freak now? It's another slippery slope  :evilgrin:

But actually, joking apart, once you've got the Mac basics you need/want, the slope flattens out.