Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 Brake hoses  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: R32 Brake hoses
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 10:30:42 pm »
:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 11:00:51 pm »
Hi Sean

Sorry had to bite  :signLOL:

From the HEL website (admittedly)

We have been very fortunate to have been connected to some of the teams in Moto GP, Moto 2 and the 125cc championships but due to confidentiality agreements we are unable to list all of those on our pages. Great result for the Mark VDS Team in Moto 2 at Indianapolis with Scott Redding on the podium with third place - and with HEL Performance lines.

Inmotec - Moto GP

Mark VDS - Moto 2

Maxtra - 125cc

But anyway.....

Good catch on the teflon - im an idiot no surprise - Goodridge used to use the convoluted lines on their brake kits - HEL use the smooth bore stuff. Terminology aside

But getting back to the practicalities of brake upgrades as mentioned above if you need a 90 degree M10x1 ended hose then the only ones I can think of are of an R8 or an RS6 hose from an OEM source,  which not having the lengths published makes buying OEM at £50 per corner a bit of a gamble.......Im sure you wouldnt advocate hoses either too long or too short, on custom hoses as well its possible to specify a mid line fitting which fits into the bracketry on the upright just as the OEM GOLF hoses do increasing safety. Rather that than an OEM R8 line tie wrapped to the ABS sensor wire

So in many ways theres no other option upgrade or not

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 01:22:42 am »
Hi Sean

Sorry had to bite  :signLOL:
We're all guilty of that!  :happy2: :grin:

From the HEL website (admittedly)

We have been very fortunate to have been connected to some of the teams in Moto GP, Moto 2 and the 125cc championships but due to confidentiality agreements we are unable to list all of those on our pages. Great result for the Mark VDS Team in Moto 2 at Indianapolis with Scott Redding on the podium with third place - and with HEL Performance lines.

Inmotec - Moto GP
WHO ????

Now they are banged to rights on 'fabricating' false claims.  Categoric proof - find Inmotec here please: http://www.motogp.com/en/teams/MotoGP

I've been a fairly avid follower of MotoGP (and 500GP) technology for many years.  There are NO braided steel lines on any 2010 MotoGP bike

Mark VDS - Moto 2

Maxtra - 125cc
OK, Moto 2, and 125GP are two very different classes of bikes to the big boys MotoGP bikes.  MotoGP are like Formula 1 on two wheels - the absolute ultimate in prototype technologies.  But 125GP, due to their diminutive power outputs, are not demanding on brakes - high corner speeds, and maintaining gained speed at all costs - is key to 125 riding style.  Moto 2 bikes basically have a standard 600cc Honda 'control' engine, with emphasis on custom chassis development - sort of going back to the old school ethos of building a bike out the back of a transit van - though granted things have moved on.

Anyway, were thrashing this issue do death.

But anyway.....

Good catch on the teflon - im an idiot no surprise - Goodridge used to use the convoluted lines on their brake kits - HEL use the smooth bore stuff. Terminology aside
Never been a fan of Goodridge, so cant comment on on them.  But HEL, just like BSR, along with OEM rubber hoses - are
all smooth bore.  :happy2:

But getting back to the practicalities of brake upgrades as mentioned above if you need a 90 degree M10x1 ended hose then the only ones I can think of are of an R8 or an RS6 hose from an OEM source,  which not having the lengths published makes buying OEM at £50 per corner a bit of a gamble.......Im sure you wouldnt advocate hoses either too long or too short, on custom hoses as well its possible to specify a mid line fitting which fits into the bracketry on the upright just as the OEM GOLF hoses do increasing safety. Rather that than an OEM R8 line tie wrapped to the ABS sensor wire

So in many ways theres no other option upgrade or not

I'm sure I've always agreed with you on these particular issues.  Custom hoses definately are the right way to go in these scenarios.  :happy2:

One final thing to ponder - remember the Metro 6R4 rally car?  Brakes were designed and made by AP racing (as were they on the original Metro road car) - even on the rally car, the hoses (two per front caliper, with a wierd 3 bleed nipples per caliper) were conventional rubber flexies with an external black plastic spiral reinforcement . . . .
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline G60s GO

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Edition 30, Plaque No.0100
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 10:27:23 pm »
WOW............. What a right old carry on.   :scared:

Got to love your passion TT, It certainly makes entertaining reading. :happy2:

Just for the record Inmotec are bidding to become the first Spanish manufacturer to compete in MotoGP, who originally had their racing debut pencilled in for the Catalunya Grand Prix in July before taking in a handful of other rounds over the remainder of the season. This hasn't materialised due to the ecconomic downturn, but development has continued with the plan to compete in 2011  :drinking:

Perfection Is Perfectly Simple; Fouling Things Up Requires true skill.

Offline Dubtek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »
Just spotted all this on the hoses and thought seen as its BSB time right now...

FYI.....

www.helperformance.com - See right hand column......Official BSB Suppliers. Our lorry is in the paddock at EVERY BSB round, and yes, Michael Rutters bike has HEL hoses on it right now at Cadwell. As does...

Byrne
Kiyonari
Jessop
Brookes
and 23 others.....

Not 100% convinced? See www.britishsuperbike.com - Pumped money into BSB for 2 years now.

Totally agree with some of your comments and appreciate what you are saying BTW, not the bit about us trying to peddle a sale though, was merely putting my point of view across, exactly as you did. Only visit this forum out of personal interest in VAG products myself being an owner of a MK5, most of my working week is consumed with all things hose related so dont get to visit that often these days.   :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qivd1ttc25jln0n37qmdjblbvt&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »
Im amazed that MotoGP bikes don't have braided lines. Even my brothers Triumph street triple R had braided lines.

Offline Dubtek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 01:39:13 pm »
Not looking to open another can of worms or interested in the I know more than you debate, but not everything that was written was 100% technically correct about Moto GP hoses. Lets just say when the value of a car (F1) or bike (MotoGP) is such that it is, teams tend to produce in house (works teams particularly) or at least have a strong 'closed door' involvement in their manufacture to know exactly in their own minds the spec of each part of the kit, rather than relying on someone like ourselves to produce it first.

That said the debate for fitting Kevlar covered lines to save a few more grammes at that level over braid is valid, but not on road bikes, if its of interest here's why, taken from our HEL site - http://www.helperformance.com/info/kevlar.php

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »
All I know is my r32 brakes are all oem flexi pipes and am happy with my brakes and better now I ave changee the brakes :signLOL: