Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of bailing out on my ED30!!!!  (Read 41036 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Thinking of bailing out on my ED30!!!!
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »
you see  :laugh:  :notworthy: defo worth a look i think

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2010, 03:28:54 pm »
Standard E46 M3 CSL 7:50 full lap.

Sport-Auto official time.

Note what's similar, all pretty much Porkers and supercars. Still think your ED30 is as fast as a £25k CSL?

Link
Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »
tech spec of that car
http://www.0-60mag.com/0-60Legacy/2008/01/nurburgring-csl-bmw-kw-record/

Sh!t the bed!!!. That is a major project and major money car :surprised:

105mph average on that lap for that BMW.  Ferrari 599XX is 111mph average. I'm around 92mph average. I don't think that is too bad for a FWD car on the stock turbo. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2010, 03:32:32 pm »

Note what's similar, all pretty much Porkers and supercars. Still think your ED30 is as fast as a £25k CSL?

Link

defo not as fast  :signLOL: about 30 secs slower  :laugh: you have to think you are asking a fwd car to do everything ie put all that power down,do all the steering and braking and then dragging all that rear behind it  :laugh:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »
major £££ car but you could buy an m3 with a supercharger on like this
http://pistonheads.com/sales/1573748.htm

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2010, 03:35:18 pm »
Link

I reckon that I could get the Golf down to 8mins with a little more practice and the instructors reckoned in their hands it would do a sub 8min lap, but the CSL time was done with a professional racedriver and not average Joe Bloggs. :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »
but the driver was a joe bloggs at one point in his life but now drives for a living so dont let that he is a race driver cloud your choice as its about the car drives and puts it power down

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2010, 03:38:28 pm »
major £££ car but you could buy an m3 with a supercharger on like this
http://pistonheads.com/sales/1573748.htm

Looks like a very nice car, but has some miles on it and is really older than I want to go.

Nice find though :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »
yeah its got some miles but you see what bhp you can have and they come up for sale with lots less miles for around 20k ish

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2010, 03:50:24 pm »
I've just dug this up from E30M3 who had a CSL at the time I took him for a spin. Bare in mind I didn't have the diff, mounts, bilsteins (Eibachs at the time), R888's, and was still on Custom Code (less power)......

"Again it was a pleasure to meet you John, a true gent . and the GTI of yours is a sleeper in the true sense !

I was nearly 98% sure what my next car was going to be, either a Focus RS or a 996 GT2. I must have gone through at least 3 months of going back and forth on the decision, cheers John for making it harder now !!

John kindly took me for a spin(more like a lap of the nurburgring) in his crazy GTI as I wanted to see what a well modded GTI is like.

I was adamant I would not get a GTI again, ever.

Then what happens you meet John (Hurdy) (top bloke btw ) and he takes you for a drive and you come back with neck ache from the G achieved in cornering and swearing like a sailor

Forgot how good an mk5 GTI is and never realised how crazy a modded one was. I totally forgot the composure, the quality and the shifts of the DSG; it really is the total package!

Its unbelievably, mind numbingly, arse twitchingly, hand grabbing the grab handle, foot hitting the imaginary brake pedal RAPID as a road tool, I imagine as a track car too! The way those brakes shed of speed is crazy, I’ve got an enlarged AP Racing 6 pot on the CSL running pagid rs29's and the Tar-ox BBK were as good if not better! !

John was kind enough to take me on a drive round one of my local country lanes, which I know like the back of my hand.

Keep in mind he has not ever seen this road, the rate at which this road was dispatched was utterly gob smacking for a FWD 5 door car. I mean, I take a CSL and a M5 around these roads at least once a week and I like to think I know how to drive on that road, but damn, Johns GTI was reaching near enough the same speed with no fuss and with iron fisted control, no body roll, no wasted power and the worst bit is with a diff I think it would have been faster! The suspension just soaked up the abuse, its one very very good set-up road car! Also keep in mind that the GTE has a 2 litre 4pot turbo FSI and the other cars have a 5litre V10 and a 3.2 I6 and you seriously begin to wonder what the power in the M cars is doing! What suprised me the most is that it was riding as well if not better than a stock car, no harshness, no excessive noise, you wouldn't even know what lurked underneath was a montser, a proper sleeper!

Considering it cost a 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the other cars, yet its just as fast is basically crazy

because it certainly is not half /third of the car!

Most BMW, Porsche or Audi drivers would have a hard time believing that a GTI is quicker in a straight line or round corners but I’m telling you guys it FU$%ING IS!

I reckon car mags really should test a GTI ed30 with a few mods etc, remap, DSG and LSD vs the Focus RS, both cost the same money, both about the same power, but which one would be the better everyday car? ?

Yes that old bug "but the GTI is modded, mod the Focus the same and the Focus would win" but the Focus costs more! A GTi Ed30 can be had for 17K, 3 K mods, that is still 20k! It would be nice to see which one really is the better car. I for one would be very interested to know!

The only thing magazines/media don't seem to realise is the GTI takes time to appreciate, like a good Cognac. Just sitting in John’s car brought back memories of how great a car the mk5 GTI is.

Now I’m totally stuck as to what car to get now, cheers John it only took me 3 months to decide between the Focus or the GT2! Now I have thoughts of a GTI in my head, not again!! I tell you my decision in another 3 months!!! LOL

Once again great meeting you John and thank you for that drive which made me "sh*t in my pants " You certainly know how to drive"
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »
so keep the ed30 and haldex it from an r32 would save you lots of messing about and just cage the bugger job done

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
so keep the ed30 and haldex it from an r32 would save you lots of messing about and just cage the bugger job done

Hmmmmmm.
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »
well u know the car you can tell you dont want to sell it and you have lots of ££££ in it so y change just evolve the car more pure and simple

Saint Steve

« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2010, 04:01:46 pm »
Flash the car back to stock, run it for a month or two, then load it back to stage 2+ and appreciate what youve done all over again. :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2010, 04:10:22 pm »

you have lots of ££££ in it so y change just evolve the car more pure and simple

....Though not in the same league as Hurdy's, that's my attitude towards mine too: An organic evolution.

But I can understand John's inclination to change.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!