Make a donation

Author Topic: My New TV  (Read 3119 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
My New TV
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:44 am »
Well i have had my new TV now for 3 weeks and thought i would post up my thoughts after a good thorough testing.

I got a Sony KDL-40NX803. I originally was looking for around 46" but after a lot of thought it would just be too big for my living room.

I was also originally after a Samsung Series 8 but i went to the Sony Centre at Cheshire oaks and had a look at the TV's they had in there.

The Specs of it are as follows

Full 1080p 24p HD
200hz MotionFlow Technology (more about this in a bit)
Bravia 3 Engine
Edge LED lit 40" LCD screen
Built in Wifi
Built in Freeview HD tuner
20w Speakers
4 x HDMI Slot
1 x Component
HDMI PC Signal Capability
PC Input (15pin D-Sub) + Audio In
1 x Composite Video
PCMCIA Card Slot

Also has stuff like YouTube, Love Film, Five on Demand etc built in so when you go onto the internet you can watch streaming video.

Full Specs can be seen here NX803 Specs

The TV is surprisingly light but then again for the majority it is only 1.8cm thick so very good if you want to mount it on a wall (which i am currently trying to talk the wife into letting me do)

Now the important bit - picture quality. This has to be seen to be believed. Had i not seen this TV in action in the shop i would have still got the Samsung. The Sony Centre had a 50hz, 100hz and this 200hz Motionflow tv all next to each other showing the same image. I spent about 45 mins in the shop asking the guy to show me different style pictures so slow moving, normal tv, freeveiw HD, Sky HD and full BluRay. It is unbelievable as to how good the 200hz Motionflow technology is. I watched Band of Brothers on it and honestly sometimes you forget its a TV and it's like you are actually watching the action live through a window. Even fast paced stuff like Sport and Games are just amazing.

One thing i will say is don't believe the hype about a £5 HDMI lead working just as good as a £200 one. I replaced all my HDMI Leads for  Monster M2000HD leads and the difference in picture quality was fantastic. That lead is about £200 but they sell them on 7 Day shop for £20 which is were i got it from.

I have tried everything on the TV now. My setup basically everything is plugged into my Surround Sound (which is also Sony) and then one Lead comes from the Surround Sound to the TV. So now the Sky & PS3 (which also doubles as my BluRay Player) all come through the Surround Sound. Plus because it's all Sony (less the Sky) the TV Remote is now sync'd with it all so i only have to use that and the Sky Remote. But the image is amazing. Games just look even better as well. Playing Assassins Creed II or Need For Speed Shift is just awesome especially in Surround Sound.

The TV itself has a couple of clever panels at the back to hide the cables so everything can be kept neat and tidy.

Here is a pic of the TV in all it's Glory oh and Lucy just happened to be on when i took the Pic i haven't Sky plus'd her!  :love: :love: (Sorry Pic not that good as was taken with PiePhone)

If your in the need of a New TV then i definately recommend this one

Carl

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: My New TV
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:07:26 am »
Lucy is very tidy  :drool:.TV is nice as well. :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:21:34 am »
I have the NX703 version of the same TV. :)
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:37 am »
Great Tv there Carl. :happy2:

Can you expand on why there's a difference between a £10 hdmi lead, to a £200's worth please.
What difference could you see to the Picture?? more crisp, better movement in fast moving pictures??

I have the Samsung LED 46" myself. I also do alot of work with Tv's etc, and would be interested if you could expand abit ta :happy2:

and could you link the 7 day shop aswell??  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:30:45 am by Saint Steve »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:48:14 am »
Very nice. I'm trying to dissuade myself from buying a new TV when my current 20" sony bravia lcd is enough.

Electrical stores always seem to have large markups on things like cables, which is why I tend to buy them online.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26:08 am »

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:44:11 am »
Ive yet to notice any difference when only using a sky hd box.( the inclosed Hd cable that comes in sky hd shipment box. :confused:.
Skys broadcasts are mainly 720p.

Perhaps when using Blueray, this monster lead would be a good purchase indeed.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:01:30 pm »
I think this one is mine :innocent:

Golf R gone.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 12:10:37 pm »
I think this one is mine :innocent:

Are we still taking about TV's here or have you purchased something else?  :popcornsoda:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:32:01 pm »
Great Tv there Carl. :happy2:

Can you expand on why there's a difference between a £10 hdmi lead, to a £200's worth please.
What difference could you see to the Picture?? more crisp, better movement in fast moving pictures??

I have the Samsung LED 46" myself. I also do alot of work with Tv's etc, and would be interested if you could expand abit ta :happy2:

and could you link the 7 day shop aswell??  :smiley:

Hi Steve

This is the Cable i bought is this one Monster M2000HD

According to 7 Day shop the RRP is £37.99 however they had a lower spec Monster Cable in Curry's for £98 iirc and the actual cable is $300 direct from Monster.

Anyway as to the difference in Picture - Even on Sky HD (I was watching the Pacific in HD) sometimes on the Sky HD cable it would seem to go a bit pixelated or ghosting in the background during fast movement and this was enhanced somewhat by the Motionflow. I Spoke to Sony and they said try a better HDMI lead so i did. The difference was instantly noticeable. The Picture was clearer and during fast movement none of the pixelation or Ghosting appeared. I got 3 of those cables so that everything was singing of the same song sheet. So now the Signal going into the Surround and then going to the TV is going down identical cables. Also you will notice a difference (well i did anyway) in sound quality.

Once i went on to BluRay the difference was a lot more profound. Band of Brothers and the Beach Scene in Saving Private Ryan all had a few problems until i got the new cables. Now the images are crisp clear and the fast scenes are exactly the same.

Im not saying you have to get that Cable but after a bit of research the common theme amongst every tech person i spoke to or review i read was as long as you get an Oxygen Free Cable with Gold Connectors then you won't notice any difference between say a £20 and a £200 but there was a vast difference between the supplied Sky HDMI and the Monster Cable