Make a donation

Author Topic: Reverse & Fog light switched!  (Read 11240 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Reverse & Fog light switched!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:30:51 am »
Agree with TT, sounds like you need to have a play with VCDS and change the lighting to EU settings if you've got original lights.

i,m having my leds fitted on thurs and they are left handers so technically illegal and the wiring has been done just keep them there but if i quickly swap the originals just for the MOT. but guy doing my new bumper says if i fit an extra fog in the tow bar recess i,m legal again?
is that any help?
matsu

Why not just swap the two lamp covers around within the light unit? Everyone with fogs has done it, took me about 30 minutes with a scalpel and some hot melt. Or if you're old and crochety like Red you can get someone to do it for you, it's super easy. Remove the two inner units, remove the two bulbs, cut away the plastic weld, swap the lens covers, hot melt them back into place (or plastic weld back into place) refit bulbs and that's it!

Exactly.  Or - you could have two symmetrical rear fogs like Shaun Hollamby has done in his BTCC racer.  But to keep the bulbs 'equal', you'd need to remove the red lens from the left, and use some red bulb paint.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:45:58 am »

BTW <off topic alert> does your car pass the MoT with your front towing eye attached?  Or do you normally remove it?

....I only have it attached for track use. Most trackdays insist on both being fitted - At least that's the case in Europe and I have yet to do a trackday in the UK.

However [another excuse for a pic] I don't bother removing my rear one as it's tucked well out of the way:
I'll have to wait and see how the MOT reacts in July to the rear tow-eye but it's easily removed.

^ Pic includes a rear fog, so I guess I'm kinda now back on topic  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:48:40 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:08:09 am »

BTW <off topic alert> does your car pass the MoT with your front towing eye attached?  Or do you normally remove it?

....I only have it attached for track use. Most trackdays insist on both being fitted - At least that's the case in Europe and I have yet to do a trackday in the UK.

However [another excuse for a pic] I don't bother removing my rear one as it's tucked well out of the way:
I'll have to wait and see how the MOT reacts in July to the rear tow-eye but it's easily removed.

It would be looked upon pretty dimmly - anything protruding from the body work is a no-no due to crash safety regs.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:42 am »

BTW <off topic alert> does your car pass the MoT with your front towing eye attached?  Or do you normally remove it?

It would be looked upon pretty dimmly - anything protruding from the body work is a no-no due to crash safety regs.

....The rear tow-eye doesn't protrude beyond the line of the bodywork and there's plenty cars with such which are permanently fixed. However, it's no big deal and so easily removed for MOT.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 09:52:34 am »

BTW <off topic alert> does your car pass the MoT with your front towing eye attached?  Or do you normally remove it?

....The rear tow-eye doesn't protrude beyond the line of the bodywork and there's plenty cars with such which are permanently fixed. However, it's no big deal and so easily removed for MOT.

Perhaps not but it's still a rigid item perpendicular to the rest of the bodywork. In a pedestrian impact, a bumper will flex - a tow eye will not. Most, in not all, modern cars now have detachable towing eyes to conform to crash safety legislation. But like you say - it's easily solved. Also worth noting that it's clearly less of an issue at the rear. Better safe than sorry though.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:29 pm »
Cars boked in for Thursday at Beadles in Sevenoaks. They said they might need it a couple of days! Useless! I'm hoping it is just VCDS setting!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 06:58:21 pm »
Cars boked in for Thursday at Beadles in Sevenoaks. They said they might need it a couple of days! Useless! I'm hoping it is just VCDS setting!

....A couple of days to sort out your reverse and fog lights!!? They're taking the piss aren't they!?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 09:50:48 am »

You could drive upto mine, get it done for free (or a slab of Becks if you twist my arm), and get home again - long before the pathetic stealer has even done the paperwork!

Surely there must be someone in your neck of the woods who can plug in a VCDS enabled lappy?  And you'd have the added benefit of actually being told exactly what was being done, rather than suffer the blatant cloud of secrecy and incompetence from the main stealers!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:01 am »
Im in Bromley with a VCDS cable, if Teutonic can let me know the controller and settings to look at id be happy to have a look with you DMCG?   :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »
Im in Bromley with a VCDS cable, if Teutonic can let me know the controller and settings to look at id be happy to have a look with you DMCG?   :happy2:

It's in module 46 - Central Convenience!  Use the long coding helper, and it should be fairly self-explanitory.

HTH
------

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »
TT I thought all the fog setting where in 09 central electrics or is the car setup in 46 CC for LHD one of the adaptation??

Darren

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 11:27:21 am »
Rich83 thanks for the offer. When are you about? Im nr Sevenoaks so not too far away.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:31 am »
DMCG, will send you a PM

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.