Make a donation

Author Topic: seat bolster wear  (Read 14454 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: seat bolster wear
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 07:23:08 pm »
same condition as mine stealth, but mine has 26k on it  :sad:

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »
It seems everyone i have seen suffers it.  :sad:
I would expect from previous VW experience that its a 2 years cover on it as its VW themselfs but the 3rd year is a dealer/VWuk cover that can be a real pain to claim from.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 07:41:45 pm »
I'll post pics of mine tomorrow - I'm quite on the lardy size at 16st and F508 ! The bolster on the right nearest the drivers door is rather creased, on the same hand though is the passenger seat - that 99% accomodated my partner who is 8st F504 is totally mint - if only my back side wasn't so lardy !! Occasionaly I sit in the passenger seat, usually after beverage consumption and think - this side is so much more "bolstery" than mine.

True though didn't expect that on my £25k ED30 !!!

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »
Its shocking really for 8k miles on a 20k car

Yeah the problem is when I get out, I swing my legs out first, which means I'm then putting weight on the bolster. Plus I'm a short-arse, so my feet don't even touch the ground when I swing them over, so I have lean forward to get out, putting even more pressure on the seat bolster.

Getting in's no problem since I throw my backside on to the seat and swing my legs over the bolster without putting any weight on them.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:04 pm »
I've started pushing the seat back every time I get out of the car to try and stop this happening, a pain in @rse but if you get into the habit its ok

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:15 pm »
It'd be nice not to have to do that each and every time. Wouldn't be so bad if there was an electronic motor+switch to this for you.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 08:20:38 pm »
it would, like a memory seat, you press to get out and in, then it goes back to where you always have it

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 10:36:11 pm »
a lot of america cars have that when you pull the key outa the ignition the seat goes back.

its probably more to do with them trying to get there stomachs past the steering wheel

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 04:05:44 pm »
Not much help guys, but i have to move the seat back every time or i cant get out, i make sure i never put any weight on the bolster by placing left hand on the wheel and right hand on the sill and then lift myself over using weight on right leg, although this does not help with the quality of the seat it will make it last longer.  :wink:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 04:40:19 pm »
I have a similar issue after 10 months and only 5k  :mad:

After seeing SteveP's today with 20k+ Im not happy and will be persuing a warranty claim the next time Im at the stealers! The leather has been cleaned and fed on several occasion and even had the 'hair dryer' treatment  :mad:

Had my Ed30 18 months and 27k miles but no problems like that on the leather... actually, coming to think of it, maybe I do have some marks like that but I thought that was normal  :signIWS:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:44:18 pm by illyun »

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 05:26:11 pm »
This was something that really pissed me off when I had my ED30!! It was in bad condition after 1000 miles. By comparison I now have a 3 year old A3 with 45000 miles and the leather in it is still in great condition   :surprised:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 05:35:04 pm »
T88OMM, hence why i dug out my a3 interior taken when i flogged it and in fairness it never received much tlc in its lifetime, whats annoying is its not consitent on our VWs which have done similar mileage

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
What do you people do your seats? My seats have a little wear on them but not as bad as some that have been posted and that's after 80,000miles/4 years!

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:00 pm »
mines 4 months old and 6k on the clock now and its creased :( must say i didnt expect it. will get a picture tonight. might be a trip back to the dealer.

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
Re: seat bolster wear - update
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 11:03:47 am »
had a call from my dealer today, they are changing the front covers in the first instance on the pirelli, the covers are on back order from germany at the moment, and will let me know when they arrive, the dealer had been pushing for new seats so we shall have to see what they look they look like

at least vw have acknowledged there is a problem with tthem, once again my dealer Rigeway Wantage have been excellant giving me an update on they day they had promised, little things in terms of customer service make a difference

hopefully this may help a few of you