Make a donation

Author Topic: Well I had to try it didn't I!!  (Read 5510 times)

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
Well I had to try it didn't I!!
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:01:33 pm »
Just got back from having the free 5 hour revo trial put on my car and I'm not sure i can stress in a few sentences what a difference it makes.

I've always thought the gti was fast (200bhp version) and have for so long thought what is the point.  I've been off work this week and thought i fancy drive today.  I gave votex ltd in cheshire a call who said to pop down and he'll put the trial map on it no problem.  Dropped the car off, had a walk round, 30 mins later all finished.

Driving in town traffic for the first 15 mins it felt exactly the same as normal.  Then after about 30 mins of driving i finally got the opportunity to open it up.  I was and still am absolutely stunned at the pick up.  The surge right to the red line just pins you in the seat in every gear, it almost feels like the front of the car is lifting.  Its so addictive just to have another feel of that power.  I can never go back to normal now so unfortunately i'm going to be £450 down :sad:

But..... Its all worth it.  Don't know why i didnt bother with the trial before, there was no hard sale from the guy at votex, just took down some details, said enjoy and btw we do servicing etc, email if you want a quote.

Ohh, want to go for another drive........ also ref fuel consumption, I did 120 miles today, 70 in remapped state and it has averaged 33.3mpg so seems similar to normal :laugh:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Well I had to try it didn't I!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »
going to have to give the trial a go, been inbetween on which tuner to go for but hell if its free I'll give it a try.

How come you have been able to get it for £450? When I spoke to the nearest dealer a while ago they quoted before VAT, £500.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:28:44 pm »
going to have to give the trial a go, been inbetween on which tuner to go for but hell if its free I'll give it a try.

How come you have been able to get it for £450? When I spoke to the nearest dealer a while ago they quoted before VAT, £500.

Luke

As I was about to drive off I said to the guy if i go ahead with it, what is the price?  He said he's pretty sure they have reduced this map from £499+vat to £399+vat, so I hope he is correct as £460 seems so much more reasonable than £575

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »

Luke

As I was about to drive off I said to the guy if i go ahead with it, what is the price?  He said he's pretty sure they have reduced this map from £499+vat to £399+vat, so I hope he is correct as £460 seems so much more reasonable than £575

Certainly agree with you there matey. That include a before and after RR run?

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:39:23 pm »

Luke

Certainly agree with you there matey. That include a before and after RR run?

Luke

I wouldn't think so.  The thing with revo maps are that they are the same for each car so results should be very consistent.   If i was having a custom code, i would certainly want to see it on a rr to confirm my money was well spent

The dealers website btw http://www.votex.ltd.uk/

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:47:13 pm »
Good to hear another satisfied Revo customer! I know exactly how you feel, I was, and am, exactly the same everytime I get into my car!! It gets even better once you become accustom to the map and learn to exploit it's full potential through altering your driving style!

Personally, I would arrange the 'after' rolling road a few days after the remap has been put on the car, so that it takes into consideration the ECU 'adaptation' period.

Just my two-pence worth!
 :smiley:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:27 pm »
Revo is good stuff, great customer service too which makes it worth the extra to me.

and if you went a little further you could always get an SPS  :wink:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:28 pm »
So guys, is the diverter valve failing a rare occurance or the norm??

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:19:53 pm »
Rare-ish, I have a version B spare which is still ok but replaced for the latest when I took the Forge off to check some thing (think latest is rev G) - this is still fine now.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:23:40 pm »
Rare-ish, I have a version B spare which is still ok but replaced for the latest when I took the Forge off to check some thing (think latest is rev G) - this is still fine now.

Why did you take the forge off?

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:29:31 pm »

this makes interesting reading and possibly negates a Forge DV !
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75232

winrya : great to hear you loved it, this is only the start .......
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:31 pm »

That looks great, nice to see an oem solution:)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:41:21 pm »

Thats very interesting!!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:42:46 pm »
Took it off to try and diagnose a boost leak - not got round to refitting.

The new OEM one look good, slight change in design with the extra sleeve bit, very interesting.

I am tempted to sell the forge I have anyway - it'll pay for a relocation kit  :wink:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 12:24:56 am »
Brings back memories of when I had mine done (had Revo before on the LCR also though)...

I had my car in this afternoon to have Turbo back Miltek and Revo Remap done..
Had exhaust delivered straight to garage, so was waiting for me when I get there (big thanks to Jer off here from whom it came from). Anyway, left it with him for a few hours and came back just as he was going out finishing the mapping in my car..   Came back after twenty mins or so whilst I had a cuppa and all done. Been set on Boost 8, Timing 5 (to those who know Revo) and said she's running perfect. He couldn't obviously give a exact figure, but going off the readings etc and his experience he thinks she's nicely oiver 300 brake.. 
Anyway, I picked it up at about 5 and I have only just got in a few hours ago..   Can't stop driving it..
Anyway, my verdict........
I am blown away, I really am..    . I mean my LCR with Revo stage 1 was quick (14.0 @ 99mph @ Pod), but this thing is on another level  . For example. There is a sign test I do near me that's good for testing the performance of a car and is about 1/4 mile or so from a RA on our local DC. In my old CTR, I managed about 102. In my LCR (Mapped) I use to get around 106 I did the same test in the Ed30 tonight and looked down at the speedo and it was reading 117!!!!!   KMH obviously   
The car has been RR'd at 320bhp and 362lb/ft.. Graph will be attached when I get my scanner..   

Anyway, just thought i'd share my happiness with you as I am chuffed to bits with the car, really am! 

Enjoy the full map mate, it'll be the best £500 you'll ever spend IMO..  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:27:09 am by Vtec Abuser »