Make a donation

Author Topic: Recent Purchases Picture Thread!!  (Read 1159174 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Recent Purchases Picture Thread!!
« Reply #840 on: May 10, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »
thanks for that mate. I think my best bet for the moment on my windows 7 machine is to get another 1tb disk and raid 1 it. just to protect against HD failure.

In the future when i have my iMac i7 at work, can I use a time machine at home to back things up over the net?

Ifti

« Reply #841 on: May 10, 2011, 07:21:09 pm »
You can use Time Machine to backup over wireless. Ive never used it myself though as I tend to create a SuperDuper bootable image instead. Whether you are able to use time machine to backup through the internet to an alternate location, Im not sure.....! I think Time Machine needs a local drive on the network or directly connected.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #842 on: May 18, 2011, 09:51:13 am »
bought this last week as dog carrier and for my bikes to go in the back of and its a TDI  :sick:  :laugh:

it was sitting too high  :signLOL: so coilover bought and did the rear

and did the fronts thats given me this

mudflaps wont last long  :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #843 on: May 18, 2011, 10:09:18 am »
On the synology front I recently bought DS211j for basic home use and 2 x 2TB WD greens EARS with the bigger cache

Also just bought a bag for all my detailing goodies pinnancle one

and a portable spray bottle for rinsing the car off after washing when I dont have access to a hose (trouble with living in a flat!)

And have this coming from the US

Might have to take it easy on the spending for the rest fo the month  :evilgrin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Ifti

« Reply #844 on: May 18, 2011, 11:09:42 am »
In regards to the Synology - with the EARS drives you may need to use the WDIDLE tool to decrease the cycle count. By default its at 8 seconds - so the disk head parks itself after 8 seconds of inactivity. This is usually not desired for use in a NAS - also considering the recommended lifespan of the disk is 300,000 cycles, you will reach that rather quick.

My using the WDIDLE tool from WD you will be able to change this to 5 mins - or switch it off completely.

I was going to use these drives as well, but the more I researched on it, the more reports I read in regards to how these WD Green drives are not suited in a NAS/RAID environment (WD also state this themselves). Then again, on the toher hand there are plenty of people using them perfectly fine!
I went for Samsung Spinpoint F4's instead - were around the same price at the EARS from Scan.co.uk.  :wink:

http://www.storagereview.com/how_stop_excessive_load_cycles_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_wdidle3

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #845 on: May 18, 2011, 11:40:17 am »
In regards to the Synology - with the EARS drives you may need to use the WDIDLE tool to decrease the cycle count. By default its at 8 seconds - so the disk head parks itself after 8 seconds of inactivity. This is usually not desired for use in a NAS - also considering the recommended lifespan of the disk is 300,000 cycles, you will reach that rather quick.

My using the WDIDLE tool from WD you will be able to change this to 5 mins - or switch it off completely.

I was going to use these drives as well, but the more I researched on it, the more reports I read in regards to how these WD Green drives are not suited in a NAS/RAID environment (WD also state this themselves). Then again, on the toher hand there are plenty of people using them perfectly fine!
I went for Samsung Spinpoint F4's instead - were around the same price at the EARS from Scan.co.uk.  :wink:

http://www.storagereview.com/how_stop_excessive_load_cycles_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_wdidle3

Thanks for the info IFTI, I read up on all this as well on the synology forum, from what I have seen synology corrected some firmware on the box to support the Caviar green drives, and tested the 20EARS drives thoroughly with DSM3.1, I have been keeping an eye on my LCC and its at just over 1,000 after 100 hours of disk up time, alot of this was caused by the small read and write action during the DSphoto+ processing so I stopped the process and have decided not to use it as it does far to my pre-caching of different images sizes will take my little box getting on for a year to process all the photos I have.  Since shutting that down the increase in LCC has been marginal especially as I have the drive set to only boot up and shut down during the evening.

With a different setup and different usage it might be different but so far fingers crossed I dont appear to be having any issues.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #846 on: May 19, 2011, 11:48:04 am »
Had to get this after seeing tony_danza's footage at Anglesey (the bill's in the post Mike  :signLOL:)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #847 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:46 pm »
 :signLOL:

NeilM I have also just ordered this, (borrowed your picture  :innocent: )

a bit of info on it:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-motorsports-hero-camera/

Hopefully i'll have it before the 27th  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:12:58 am by danishmkvgti »

Over the top mod list ;o)

Ifti

« Reply #848 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »
Had to get this after seeing tony_danza's footage at Anglesey (the bill's in the post Mike  :signLOL:)

Where from and how much?!
I want one! Dont know why, but I want one!  :signLOL:

Ifti

« Reply #849 on: May 19, 2011, 01:16:51 pm »

Thanks for the info IFTI, I read up on all this as well on the synology forum, from what I have seen synology corrected some firmware on the box to support the Caviar green drives, and tested the 20EARS drives thoroughly with DSM3.1, I have been keeping an eye on my LCC and its at just over 1,000 after 100 hours of disk up time, alot of this was caused by the small read and write action during the DSphoto+ processing so I stopped the process and have decided not to use it as it does far to my pre-caching of different images sizes will take my little box getting on for a year to process all the photos I have.  Since shutting that down the increase in LCC has been marginal especially as I have the drive set to only boot up and shut down during the evening.

With a different setup and different usage it might be different but so far fingers crossed I dont appear to be having any issues.

Cool ;)
I tried with the 3TB versions to start with and it wouldnt create a volume very well, so fell back to 2TB discs instead just to be on the safe side. I think using 3TB disks for the moment is a bit touch and go!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #850 on: May 19, 2011, 01:27:28 pm »
Yeah I dont think they are well supported, I guess they have gone for more data per sector to get the 3TB on 3 platter drives so I guess that could be causing the issue, I know that was the issue when the 1.5-2TB drives came in with 4KB sector size, bad alignment meant incredibly slow read and write.

h4rdy

« Reply #851 on: May 19, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
Just picked this up mainly for Patio but may splash the car over!

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #852 on: May 19, 2011, 08:48:21 pm »
I've been looking at them too, telling the Mrs that its just for the patio  :evilgrin:

But she called my bluff and said "yea right, just for the patio.. You mean for your car"  :ashamed:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #853 on: May 19, 2011, 08:56:35 pm »
I've got a Syno DS209J with 2 x 2TB WD EARS drives and touch wood no problems at all.  :evilgrin:

As you say I think the issues have now been resolved. 
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

h4rdy

« Reply #854 on: May 20, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »
I've been looking at them too, telling the Mrs that its just for the patio  :evilgrin:

But she called my bluff and said "yea right, just for the patio.. You mean for your car"  :ashamed:

Ahem, thats how I got away with it!

Still in box though may have to clean the 'patio' on Monday! :signLOL: