Make a donation

Author Topic: Polish or not to polish, that is the question......  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Polish or not to polish, that is the question......
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:23:26 am »
Recently I purchased some of the Lusso Oro wax and the Revitalize Crime from the lovely guys at Autoperfection (cheers). I've been really happy but was wondering if should use an additional polish between the Revitalize Crime and the Oro wax, say Autoglym Super Resin or is that just wasting time and effort? If I do this too how long should I leave between the applications? I don't want the Oro wax to take off the polish I've just put on as that's just waste.

Any advice welcome folks.

Ta.

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Polish or not to polish, that is the question......
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:40:42 am »
As the revitalize creme is a pre wax, I wouldnt polish between this and the Lusso.  I used AG high resin, before pre wax and then waxed on top and it came up very nice.  The Wax also shouldnt remove anything you have put on, it just lays a protective layer down sealing the paint under-neath.

linky to my thread on the cleaning I did with pictures
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14188.0.html

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:48 am »
Wouldnt bother with the AG SRP if i were you. Just use the Revitalize then go straight onto the wax no need to leave time between as the cleanser and wax. But i would advise you to clay the surface first to ensure you have got a fresh surface to cleanse then wax.

But if your going to put more than one layer of wax on i would leave it between 6-24hrs between coats and personally i wouldnt bother with more than 2 coats.

Ben

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:57 am »
If you are going to polish, then you need to strip away all products to leave you with a fresh base. You need to clay the car after washing it. There's a few threads on claying here. Then wash again, dry and polish.  Polishing by hand is a PITA but if you have the time, patience and elbow grease then go for it. Follow up with the creme and wax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:47:29 pm »
Cheers further replies people.

I clayed the car about a month back followed by the Revitalizing Creme, then the Oro wax. I got confused as the Creme says it removes.dead paint and old wax etc. I.just presumed a polish would be order after it.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:51:54 pm »
Looking at the autoperfection website and the description of the creme, it appears to be similar to Dodo Juice Lime Prime and hence probably has some mild abrasives in it to take out the finer scratches. This is further backed by the "longer you work it the better the finish".

Claying and polishing will remove old wax and tar so I would still go ahead with those two before moving on to the creme and wax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »
Cheers Stealth. I'll stick with what I did before then and just use the Oro products.