Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 - K04 hybrid!  (Read 31192 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
ED30 - K04 hybrid!
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:28:32 am »
Okay, there's no specific thread about the K04 hybrid and I think that it would be a good idea to discuss some of the implications of fitting etc.

I've looked on the Turbo dynamics website and there is NO information on there at all. Quite a bit of generalised, assumed power and torque outputs have been mentioned, but nothing specific with any back-up from Dyno's etc.

All we know for sure is that Luke (Jabbalad) has had one fitted and can feel through the "butt dyno" that it feels stronger at the top end. We have had a little info off the thread saying that the spool is around 250rpm later than an OEM K04 and that it will push more air.

I've heard mentioned from other sources that the K04 hybrid will make only 10-20 bhp, but again there's no back-up for this. I've also spoken to a few tuners, who say that the hybrid K04 will not be worth the money long term as the longevity isn't usually good on hybrids made from OEM turbo's.

Price is probably going to be circa £2k once fitting and mapping has been done.

I'd love it if the K04 hybrid made 30+bhp on top of what I have now, but will it?

I'd hope that the K04 hybrid would last 30k+ miles, but will it?

Anyone have any info or input as it is all welcome :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: ED30 - K04 hybrid!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:14:48 am »
sorry for the 1st reply to be a little off topic, but id like there to be a k03 hybrid too! but for it to be more cost effective than just getting a k04 and all the other gubbins that come along with it!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:33:47 am »
sorry for the 1st reply to be a little off topic, but id like there to be a k03 hybrid too! but for it to be more cost effective than just getting a k04 and all the other gubbins that come along with it!
jabba are looking into a k03 hybrid, with cut back turbine blades, and k04 illet wheels.  think they need a guinea pig as wel, because thry dont have a k03 car available.  Potential for some big savings there.

I'd love it if the K04 hybrid made 30+bhp on top of what I have now, but will it?

different turbo, but there was a ko4 hybrid conversion available for the 1.8T Bam engines.  they maxed out at about 270HP on the std turbo, and when hybridised they could just make 300Hp.  some companies claim much more, but most guys with it say they made 300HP.  so if that was possible to gain 30Hp it could potentially get that with the TFSI k04 turbo

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:42:35 am »
does he hybrid run more boost as well??

if so the likes of an S3 cooler might not be up to the job especially in the summer. 

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:45 am »

if so the likes of an S3 cooler might not be up to the job especially in the summer. 

WMI will deal with that problem.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:55:55 am »
I'm still not sold on the WMI

What do you do if you run out and can't get hold of any for a couple of days?

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:04:22 am »
owen developments have there K04 hybrid out - you cant post off your old one to owen though, as they only do a new turbo hybrid option - they quoted me £1800 delivered

from some posts in the jabba's thread it seem turbo dynamics are a little picky with the turbo's they will hybrid..

so owen developments option works out cheaper if you require a new turbo, they also use a forge k04 actuator which I have not seen listed on the turbo dynamics spec for the hybrid

and finally these chaps FR tuning are offering the turbo dynamics k04 hybrid upgrade for £595, which is considerably cheaper than others i have seen  :happy2:

http://www.fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=984
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:46:55 am »

No more boost, but peak boost is supposed to hold on till much later in the rev range, rather than a spike and a drop back like the OEM version.
Golf R gone.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:20:05 am »
On the K03 note, I spoke to a turbo overhaller last year sometime and they said it would be possible to do over the K03 and fit the K04 turbine etc - they then came back to me to say they wouldnt be able to do it - but not sure if it was 'they couldn't' or a 'it wouldnt'

In theory is was possible from what I found out but I am no turbo surgeon   :grin:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:22:31 am »

No more boost, but peak boost is supposed to hold on till much later in the rev range, rather than a spike and a drop back like the OEM version.

Is it not also shifting a greater volume of air?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:29:39 am »

Is it not also shifting a greater volume of air?

Apparently 20-25% more air, but I've not had anything confirmed. :surprised:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:38 am »
and finally these chaps FR tuning are offering the turbo dynamics k04 hybrid upgrade for £595, which is considerably cheaper than others i have seen  :happy2:

http://www.fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=984

With VAT it is still £700 on that link. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:24:47 pm »
Im not sure but I think thi has been done beforeon an individual basis, Dave Massey at ADS had a Continental GT impeller or housing on his ibiza from what I recall.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:26 pm »
I'm still not sold on the WMI

What do you do if you run out and can't get hold of any for a couple of days?

REVO gives the simplest fix of everything.  if you run it as a standalone mod with no map tweaks then no adjustment would be required to sort it as r=the ecu would readapt back to the original setting before the WMI was installed. 

if you have tweaked the timing, to utilise the WM then all you would need to do is wind the timing back if it runs out, back to the settings you ar running now.

for other guys you can get boost controllers that lower boost etc when the mixture gets low

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:14:47 pm »
Did Jonny not mention that the main feature of the hybrid is its reliability and strength.
i would want more than 30,000 miles out of one.  :scared: