Make a donation

Author Topic: A Few problems today, help appreciated - oil usage - washer leak  (Read 5909 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: A Few problems today, help appreciated - oil usage - washer leak
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 07:42:10 pm »
How much oil is there between the top and bottom marks on the dip stick?
I'm sure someone stated 750mls.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:55 pm »
Another problem is i went to fill up the washers today and it basically spat out he water i put in to it ! i was wondering if it is a bumber off job too get in to the washer tank and check for leaks at the hose connections ect, or if there was an easyer way to gain access

Mine did this, so must be a known issue. The dealer certainly didn't seem surprised - fixed under warranty by replacing the reservior.

Good luck!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 07:27:46 pm »
VW expect 1 litre per 1000 miles to be normal.

thanks bud ! is that a statement VW have made ? thats quite alot
That isn't quite correct.  VW state "upto 1 litre of oil per 1000 kilometres is acceptable".  So in the Queens English, that is 1 litre of oil per 612 miles.

Oh, BTW, this isn't unique to VW, it is an industry-wide accepted tollerance.

But I cant believe you muppets for not checking your oil for SIX MONTHS - strewth, check your oil once a week, once a month at the very longest!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:57 pm »
Another problem is i went to fill up the washers today and it basically spat out he water i put in to it ! i was wondering if it is a bumber off job too get in to the washer tank and check for leaks at the hose connections ect, or if there was an easyer way to gain access
Nah, if you try to fill them up too quickly, they will 'froth up' and spit back at you.  Think of it like a sh@g - slowly and carefully!  :evilgrin:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 07:32:02 pm »
Its longlife III oil, you can use the Quantum stuff as its vag approved. dealer charged me £24 for 1 unit on a recent service robbin gits I bought 5L for £26 the week before to top it up, i was not impressed next time I putting the bottle on the seat for them and save my dosh.
Erm, the Quantum Longlife III oil may be VAG 504.00/507.00 approved, and may also be made by Castrol - but it categorically is NOT the same as Castrol EDGE, nor as good as.  Why do you think they can sell Quantum so cheaply?
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 07:33:46 pm »
yep my 06 gti also uing about 1lt per 1000 miles???
Not correctly run in!

and meyo around filler cap?? :confused:
Not being 'spanked' enough.  Give it an 'Italian tune up' (a darn good thrashing)!
------

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:02 pm »
girl at work today drove her bf's boxster into work.

told me straight she's got the porker...then told me her old battered fiesta died last night with engine seizure.

first thing i said...did it have any oil in it?

her answer....apparently no!

god knows when the car was last serviced and oil checked. not a thing for girls to do apparently. the car could easily have carried on a few more thousand miles, but no, she's killed it cos of not bothering to look after the car.

so they now have to fork out a lot more £££'s to buy another car, rather than a few quid for oil and maybe an annual service.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 07:38:25 pm »
How much oil is there between the top and bottom marks on the dip stick? Does that make sense?  :laugh:
Wellllllllll . . . . . there is an industry standard which normally indicates exactly one litre between min and max, and from my own research, this seems to ring true with all VAG engines - however, this isn't set in stone.

Mine uses a fair bit but I'm curious as to how much the oil the car needs to loose before it drops from the top to the bottom mark on the dip stick?
If you need to add any more than say 250ml in one go, then you are being too slack.  You can add oil as soon as it drops into the hatched area of the dipstick.  I think the owners manual shows this - so RTFM!  :wink:  :laugh:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »
girl at work today drove her bf's boxster into work.

told me straight she's got the porker...then told me her old battered fiesta died last night with engine seizure.

first thing i said...did it have any oil in it?

her answer....apparently no!

god knows when the car was last serviced and oil checked. not a thing for girls to do apparently. the car could easily have carried on a few more thousand miles, but no, she's killed it cos of not bothering to look after the car.

so they now have to fork out a lot more £££'s to buy another car, rather than a few quid for oil and maybe an annual service.
Hey, Mrs Tamer can happily check the oil, and top it up, and I know many a lass who can!
------

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 08:12:01 pm »
Whats recommended to leave the oil level at. Mines currently at 2/3rds up the hatched area. I've not added any as the manual says oil can be added not must be added, - whats best. Personally I top up when at half or less the way up the hatched area.

GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »
Hey, Mrs Tamer can happily check the oil, and top it up, and I know many a lass who can!

oh don't get me wrong, i know a few that do too...and i've also come across a few blokes who don't have a clue!!! 

was just trying to back up your point about how important it is to keep an eye on the oil level and don't rely on the light to flash up on the dashboard.  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 08:29:19 pm »
That isn't quite correct.  VW state "upto 1 litre of oil per 1000 kilometres is acceptable".  So in the Queens English, that is 1 litre of oil per 612 miles.
I know it's 1000km. Not sure why I put miles. I'm sure I've said 1000km in other posts too.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »
Whats recommended to leave the oil level at. Mines currently at 2/3rds up the hatched area. I've not added any as the manual says oil can be added not must be added, - whats best. Personally I top up when at half or less the way up the hatched area.
As close to the max as is physically possible.  The only time you do NOT add any more oil is if it is already in the max area!

If you top it up little and often, you will get to know approximately how much will be needed to say raise the level by 5mm on the dipstick.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 08:48:15 pm »

oh don't get me wrong, i know a few that do too...and i've also come across a few blokes who don't have a clue!!! 

was just trying to back up your point about how important it is to keep an eye on the oil level and don't rely on the light to flash up on the dashboard:happy2:
Exactly - on my last S4, the warning light came on way below the mininim - it was just touching the very bottom of the dipstick.  I was well livid (both with myself, and with Audi).  And don't ask how I managed to let it get so low!  :ashamed:
------

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 08:57:48 pm »
^^^^^

the great T_T failing on a simple maintenance point. tut tut.

your advice from now on is worthless.  :wink: